Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you do roughly a 1000 times more damage to your engine running it rich then you do with extended oil changes. think about it... race engines at daytona spin 8500 rpm for 24hours straight routinely on consumer grade synthetics with no issue... do you REALLY believe your boat has worn the oil out at 20hours ? or that your engine produces SO much trash that at 20 hours you better change the filter ?

if you are contaminating your oil with fuel, then thats not a lube problem. if you are running the water and oil temps too cold then thats not a lube problem either. don't try to fix your lack of correct configuration by pretending to do proper maintainence with frequent oil changes. make the motor correct and the oil and filter will take care of themselves at intellegent intervals.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

QUOTE=Hydrocruiser]
Originally Posted by Madkat
I was reading over your thread and was blown away with your knowledge of oil. I was wondering if you could give me a reccommedation on what oil I should use for maxium protection. I just rebuilt my Merc 540 Bulldog motors to 572 ci NA and they are now making 700 hp each at 6000rpm. Motors were internally balanced to 3 thousands of a gram and all rings were file fitted. I have Gil 12 qt pans . I am using a HR Cam with Morell lifter. I have always used straight 40w oil in these motors. I now have 50 hrs on the motors and would like to know what I should use. I usually run them in the 3500-4500 rpm range and will take them up to 6000 rpm once in a while. My oil temp stays around 180 and sometimes goes up to 200 at WOT and then back to 180. I heard that they should run around 200-220 degrees all the time to help burn off the contaminates. I change my oil every 25 hrs. Just looking for the best oil that will give me the best protection for these motors. Also, when I changed the drive oil at 50 hrs, It was real dark and had a hint of ( burnt smell ) to it. I never had a problem before with the stock power. I believe now that the drive oil is running alot hotter since they are spinng more RPM. I am using the Merc gear oil. What do you suggest I start using and the suggested change intervals for both.

Thank You.

Those are great motors and seem to be running very happy!

Many are finding 75W-90 Mobil-1 gearlube to give great results.

The new Mobil-1 15W-50 EP formulation would work real well for you and probably with hopped up engines you are on a 25-30 hour change cycle with that oil and a good premium oil filter.

Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. What would be the reason why so many people are running the 20w-50 oils. Some people tell me that a 50w oil will protect the crank more due to the flex of the crank on my BBC stroker motors. I also contacted Amsoil and RP and below is what they told me to run. I dont mind changing my oil every 25 hrs, I just want the best protection I can get. Also, no one seems to be able to answer 1 question I have. Maybe you can help. What does a multiy weight oil ( ex. 20w-50, 10w-30 ) equally out to be in a straight weight ( 30w,40w,50w). If lets say a 20w-50 equals a 40w once at operating temps, what would the reason be for running a multiy weight vs a straight weight? Also what benefits would running a 75w-90 vs a 75w-140 gearlube have. Thanks again for all your help.

Amsoil:
Motor: 15w40 (AME)
Outdrive: Gearlube (AGM )

RP
Motor: XPR 10w-40
Outdrive: 75w-140
Old 03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

QUOTE=Hydrocruiser]

Those are great motors and seem to be running very happy!

Many are finding 75W-90 Mobil-1 gearlube to give great results.

The new Mobil-1 15W-50 EP formulation would work real well for you and probably with hopped up engines you are on a 25-30 hour change cycle with that oil and a good premium oil filter.

Hope that helps!

I think it needs more ZDDP and to go back to PAO/Grp IV./V.

Kendall 20W-50 is probably almost as good for 1/2 price.

All the true PAO's are now selling for $8.99/qt.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-05-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I think it needs more ZDDP and to go back to PAO/Grp IV./V.

Kendall 20W-50 is probably almost as good for 1/2 price.

All the true PAO's are now selling for $8.99/qt.
Hydro,

I am a little lost. Are you saying not to use the mobil1 15w-50 and to switch to a kendell 20w-50. What is the best PAO/Grp iv/v oil to use. Looking back on some of the responses, it shows that the Mobil1 20w-50 V-Twin has alot of ZDDP. I am thinking this would be my best choice along with the Redline 75w140 gear lube. Sorry I am alittle confused on this subject. I have just heard so many things about Amsoil and RP. I have nothing against Mobil 1 and was considering using it this spring. also, I have been using the Napa Gold 1060 filter. I am running the stock oil cooler from the original Bullgod motors. Boating in Mi, the water temp doest not get real warm and the air temp can vary alot. Just trying to weigh all my options and find the best oil for my application. Thanks.`

Last edited by Madkat; 03-06-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydro,

I am a little lost. Are you saying not to use the mobil1 15w-50 and to switch to a kendell 20w-50. What is the best PAO/Grp iv/v oil to use. Looking back on some of the responses, it shows that the Mobil1 20w-50 V-Twin has alot of ZDDP. I am thinking this would be my best choice along with the Redline 75w140 gear lube. Sorry I am alittle confused on this subject. I have just heard so many things about Amsoil and RP. I have nothing against Mobil 1 and was considering using it this spring. also, I have been using the Napa Gold 1060 filter. I am running the stock oil cooler from the original Bullgod motors. Boating in Mi, the water temp doest not get real warm and the air temp can vary alot. Just trying to weigh all my options and find the best oil for my application. Thanks.`

We hear from good sources that M-1 is a Grp III except for $9/qt products...

Having said that..

Not all Group III base oils are created equal. ROTELLA T Synthetic is made with Shell's XHVI base oil, which unlike other Group IIIs does not begin as distilled crude oil, hence of all Group III base oils, XHVI is truly the only one that can legitimately be called "synthetic." XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning that it is made from the slack wax removed from distilled crude in normal solvent dewaxing. This slack wax is catalytically transformed (isomerized) and hydrofinished into a chemically pure base oil which rivals PAO in virtually every category. There are other "synthetic" oils out there based on Group III, but Shell's is unique in that it uses XHVI base oil. Chevron and Petro-Canada produce Group III base oils that come close to XHVI, but even though these oils are all hydroprocessed and utilize the same type of isomerization technology employed in the making of XHVI, they are not the same thing.

I only recommend using a PAO Synthetic and I am not happy with a GRP III. base...you might be?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Registered

XHVI.............Extra High Viscosity Index(?)

Ken
Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by minxguy
XHVI.............Extra High Viscosity Index(?)

Ken
Sort of like that I hear. Shell is ahead of everyone in GRP III. product manufacturing techniques.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

To answer a recent question..

Why Use Synthetics (PAO/Ester) in Off-SHore Crankcase Applications?

Synthetic crankcase lubricants (PAO/ester) offer the following potential advantages over mineral oil-based products:

Problem solvers for difficult environments
Faster oil flow at low temperatures
Less equipment warm-up time, more productive up-time
Less engine idling saves fuel and lowers excessive engine deposits
Less wear during low-temperature startups
Lower evaporative losses at high ambient and engine operating temperatures - less makeup oil required
Potential for extended service life
Better oxidation stability
Lower evaporative loss - less makeup oil
Better viscosity control
Potential to extend equipment life and increase time to overhaul
Potential for operating cost reductions
Fewer change-outs
Less downtime
Lower labor costs
Lower waste oil disposal costs
Lower maintenance and replacement costs
Reduced energy/fuel consumption
Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Registered

Default Alisyn Synthetic Oils and Greases

Hydrocruiser and other forum members:

I was led to your site by a gentleman that uses our products.

My name is Jerry Manastyrskyj. I am the Director of Operations for Aerospace Lubricants, Inc.

I have read with great interest the posts on this thread. It is very obvious that many Off Shore members are extremely knowledgeable about engine and gear oils and how they affect engine and gearbox performance and longevity.

I would like to take this opportunity to briefly introduce our Company- Aerospace Lubricants, Inc., our business niche and our areas of expertise.

Founded almost forty years ago, Aerospace Lubricants, Inc. is a supplier of synthetic greases and oils to the Aerospace Industry. Our Tribolube family of greases, developed in conjunction with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, appears on the world's most demanding applications in military and commercial aviation. `We have worked in conjunction with NASA and the Department of Defense to develop a series of additive packages that are the world's benchmark (the Department of Defense and NASA have very large research budgets).

Using the knowledge and experience from our aerospace business, we developed our ALISYN engine and gear oil product line. These products are used by many of the world's foremost racing organizations (including Ilmor Engineering and Mercedes Ilmor, I saw someone ask this question). Please see the PDF files I have attached with purchase orders and prints.

In addition to these highly respected racing organizations, we also supply our products to several prominent NASCAR teams, as well as F1 racing organizations in Europe.

Please keep in mind that we do not advertise our products and offer no sponsorships. Our focus is on developing the best oils for extreme applications, regardless of cost. Because of this, our products offer best in class performance, yet are affordable to customers and competitive in cost to products from major oil companies that spend millions on marketing, sponsorships and advertising.

In summary, there are good reasons why highly respected racing organizations use our product line. As extremely sophisticated users that routinely exercise their power plants to the edges of their design envelope, I am convinced that the members of this forum would be equally impressed with the performance and longevity that our ALISYN products offer.

Note: We do not recommend that our product be used to improve the performance of mini vans!

Please visit our website “type in aerospacelubricants in any search engine” or feel free to call us at any time. If you call during business hours
(8:00 - 5:00 EST you will speak to a person, not a machine).

Best regards,
Jerry

P.S. I could not post attachments. My logon clearance would not allow it.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by slickone1
Hydrocruiser and other forum members:

I was led to your site by a gentleman that uses our products.

My name is Jerry Manastyrskyj. I am the Director of Operations for Aerospace Lubricants, Inc.

I have read with great interest the posts on this thread. It is very obvious that many Off Shore members are extremely knowledgeable about engine and gear oils and how they affect engine and gearbox performance and longevity.

I would like to take this opportunity to briefly introduce our Company- Aerospace Lubricants, Inc., our business niche and our areas of expertise.

Founded almost forty years ago, Aerospace Lubricants, Inc. is a supplier of synthetic greases and oils to the Aerospace Industry. Our Tribolube family of greases, developed in conjunction with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, appears on the world's most demanding applications in military and commercial aviation. `We have worked in conjunction with NASA and the Department of Defense to develop a series of additive packages that are the world's benchmark (the Department of Defense and NASA have very large research budgets).

Using the knowledge and experience from our aerospace business, we developed our ALISYN engine and gear oil product line. These products are used by many of the world's foremost racing organizations (including Ilmor Engineering and Mercedes Ilmor, I saw someone ask this question). Please see the PDF files I have attached with purchase orders and prints.

In addition to these highly respected racing organizations, we also supply our products to several prominent NASCAR teams, as well as F1 racing organizations in Europe.

Please keep in mind that we do not advertise our products and offer no sponsorships. Our focus is on developing the best oils for extreme applications, regardless of cost. Because of this, our products offer best in class performance, yet are affordable to customers and competitive in cost to products from major oil companies that spend millions on marketing, sponsorships and advertising.

In summary, there are good reasons why highly respected racing organizations use our product line. As extremely sophisticated users that routinely exercise their power plants to the edges of their design envelope, I am convinced that the members of this forum would be equally impressed with the performance and longevity that our ALISYN products offer.

Note: We do not recommend that our product be used to improve the performance of mini vans!

Please visit our website “type in aerospacelubricants in any search engine” or feel free to call us at any time. If you call during business hours
(8:00 - 5:00 EST you will speak to a person, not a machine).

Best regards,
Jerry

P.S. I could not post attachments. My logon clearance would not allow it.
Tell me what you have done with Ilmor.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.