Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 03-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...1_15W-50_.aspx

Then cam M-1 15W-50 EP GoldCap in several formulations which had wear related problems as they went to a GRP III base...bu didn't tell anyone...and tried to reformulate it and then gave up and is no longer making it.

:

I am assuming the GoldCap is still safe to use with regular oil changes (20hrs)? I sure hope so becuase I have a stock pile of the stuff in the shed...
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by 99fever27
I am assuming the GoldCap is still safe to use with regular oil changes (20hrs)? I sure hope so becuase I have a stock pile of the stuff in the shed...

Here are the issues we have seen discussed on oil threads...

-15W-50 Gold Cap Base stock is predominately non-PAO and it shears down to a 10W-40 quickly and the relatively low ZDDP levels causes premature wear in offroad applications. In these situations 20W-50 Kendall has been shown to perform better.

If I were using it I would add a can of STP oil treatment to every 5 quarts to boost the ZDDP level and also STP Oil Additives has viscosity improvers...which Gold Cap also needs.

Just for the record...if you go back about a year or so on this thread you will see me comment that I always felt Gold Cap was crap and it needed STP Oil Treatment to boost ZDDP levels and improve viscosity @ 100*C....

Mobil...I got to tell you...Gold Cap was a real screw job to your loyal customers and if Mobil didn't develope Silver Cap.. Porsche' was going to pull away from Mobil products. That says a lot!

...Fortunately Silver Cap looks a like a good product for offshore and offroad applications.

So leave it alone...please...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-11-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered

Thanks Hydro..By the way I see they have the SilverCap in stock at Walmart @ $6.59 Qt.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

New M1 Silver...Good ZDDP? Low/No Moly? Is VTwin still better? Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Pismo10
New M1 Silver...Good ZDDP? Low/No Moly? Is VTwin still better? Thanks

Silver Cap (from what we have seen so far) is a blend of Grp III/IV but most mostly IV. Good ZDDP and it has moly for better gas mileage. Red Cap was 100% PAO GRP IV. So Silver is better than Gold EP which eventually became a GRP III product... but not quite as good as Red which was about equal to V-Twin.

V-Twin has a ton of ZDDP as usual and GRP IV/V base. So it's very heavy duty. No moly.

Silver I feel will be good out to 40 hour drains and get us what we need in offshore engines for a decent price.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

With Mobil 1 15W50 jumping all over the board, I'm looking for something else to go to that is readily available. I can pick up 20W50 Royal Purple at my local NAPA for $7/quart. Has it been 100% confirmed if this is a Group IV or better base stock or is it too a Group III? I can get V-Twin but is more difficult to obtain and I question if it is overkill for a 496 MAG in a runabout.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Is Moly and a roller cam still a no-no?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
With Mobil 1 15W50 jumping all over the board, I'm looking for something else to go to that is readily available. I can pick up 20W50 Royal Purple at my local NAPA for $7/quart. Has it been 100% confirmed if this is a Group IV or better base stock or is it too a Group III? I can get V-Twin but is more difficult to obtain and I question if it is overkill for a 496 MAG in a runabout.
M-1 Silver Cap 15W-50 The NEW stuff is something I would stake my reputation on as being excellent from the info I have researched and preliminary tests we have seen to date. It is probably the old Red Cap formulation or close to it many are saying. Excellent. Use with confidence in most any offshore application.

15W-50 Gold Cap EP is something Mobil ought be ashamed of. It needs a can of STP to boost viscosity and ZDDP.

RP is probably PAO but we can not confirm this.

We do know that all Redline priducts continue to be GRP IV/V.

Redline is amazing stuff.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-14-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Is Moly and a roller cam still a no-no?
Teague says not to use a product with moly as it flat tops rollers...the rest of the world does not buy into his theory it would seem.

I can see some logic however using a low moly product for break-in.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
M-1 Silver Cap 15W-50 The NEW stuff is something I would stake my reputation on as being excellent from the info I have researched and preliminary tests we have seen to date. It is probably the old Red Cap formulation or close to it many are saying. Excellent. Use with confidence in most any offshore application.

15W-50 Gold Cap EP is something Mobil ought be ashamed of. It needs a can of STP to boost viscosity and ZDDP.

RP is probably PAO but we can not confirm this.

We do know that all Redline priducts continue to be GRP IV/V.

Redline is amazing stuff.
Thanks, Hydro.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.