Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minxguy
Haven't looked at the site , but would this be a 4-ball wear test?

Ken
Yes, that is correct.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 issues with the test, First, I can't think of any place in my engine where this type wear senario comes into play and second, the Amsoil still left a scar. Please explain to me the additional life expectency of my engine with an oil that leaves a smaller scar in a test that has no correlation to what is happening inside my engine.

Now if we are testing gear lube, I might say maybe. There is a wiping action in a hypoid application.

I wouldn't change from any quality engine oil, be it petroleum, blend, or full synthetic based on that test. And I sure wouldn't worry if I was using Mobil 1.

My 2 cents.

Ken
Old 12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

These days I use (personal preferences):

Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W-50 or Motul 15W-50 oils.

M-1 Oil Filters or Amsoil EA

I like Amsoil Severe Gear products

When it comes to grease Mobil-1 or Amsoil.

One general comment is that there are a lot of new synthetic products out there and they are all better than what we had just a few years back.

Want a great reasonabley priced oil for you car or truck?

Autozone sells 0W-30 German Made Castrol which has a VOA of 0W-40 when tested. (It's green in color) and it says Made in Germany on the bottle about $6/qt.

Things are changing fast!

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-01-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Any performance reason in particular why the Redline Shock Proof Gear Lube is not included in the list of recommended drive gear lubes?
Some gear lubes have too much sulphur additive built into them, which can sometimes have adverse effects on certain metals, especially those used in drive applications. I can't say for sure without info in front of me, but that would be my guess.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Some gear lubes have too much sulphur additive built into them, which can sometimes have adverse effects on certain metals, especially those used in drive applications. I can't say for sure without info in front of me, but that would be my guess.
Somebody here tried Shockproof Redline and said it looked like Peptobismol and was thick and was messy to work with.

BUT...it is a great HP product and I see no reason you can not use it.

Personal preference.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I was asked for another 20W-50 for racing that is synthetic but has more additives than a racing synthetic:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx
or
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...45&subcatID=14
Remember there are 2 grades...Highperformance...and "Racing"
Racing oils are for a single "race" usually. These oils here have more longevity built in.
Amsoil has a new Racing 4-stroke oil. 15-50wt. You stated that the Racing Oils are for single race usally. If used in a high performance marine motors, how often then should a user change the oil used in this situation?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Registered

The sulpher and chlorine in the GL-5 additive package may/could have a negitive effect on any "yellow" metals, bronze/brass in transmissions.

Ken
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Amsoil has a new Racing 4-stroke oil. 15-50wt. You stated that the Racing Oils are for single race usally. If used in a high performance marine motors, how often then should a user change the oil used in this situation?
I'll keep you posted. I should have my oil analysis results back from my boat hopefully this week. I will try to post them on here. I ran 52 hours on the AMSOIL Series 2000 Racing Oil.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'll keep you posted. I should have my oil analysis results back from my boat hopefully this week. I will try to post them on here. I ran 52 hours on the AMSOIL Series 2000 Racing Oil.
I will try to post mine as well when I get them on the Amsoil Series 2000 20W50 racing oil @ 35 hours. Unfortunately this will be for a freshly rebuilt engine though I did flush the rebuilt engine first with 15 min 30w oil and filter run/change and then a three hour engine break in procedure oil and filter run/change first. I also have a baseline oil analysis on the fresh oil. I still have enough of this oil for another season so that will likely be more telling.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Somebody here tried Shockproof Redline and said it looked like Peptobismol and was thick and was messy to work with.

BUT...it is a great HP product and I see no reason you can not use it.

Personal preference.
Your comments are spot on. The stuff is hideous to work with. I hate it. But I wanted the best oil to protect my X1 drive from 600 hp and I thought that this was it. Am I wrong? I would love to see a test data package that shows a more user friendly oil is just as good or better than the Redline.

One opinion against the Redline product from a drive industry guy was that its consistancy would likely hold wear debris in suspension rather than let it fall out of the way at rest as he would prefer. He noted that this was just an opinion.

Anyone out there with any compoarison test data?

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.