Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does a double ester oil not mix with gas?

Is this like oil and water, the two stay totally seperate in the engine crank case?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
If you can't fix it use a double ester oil like Motul 15W-50 that does not mix with the gas and keeps it's oil interity.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well that is an option if I can not find/fix the gas dilution issue. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Even though the initial viscosity is pretty thick, that straight 60 has a cold pour point of -33 degrees. It should be fine pretty much all year round. But Minx is right about making sure its warmed up before getting on it.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage

Is this like oil and water, the two stay totally seperate in the engine crank case?
I'd like to see that in writing/data sheet.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

A double ester based GRP V oil will not hear down nor will it loose it's integrity even with some h2o mixed in.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Registered

Why would you want a "bubble" of gas floating around in your crankcase with the possibility of getting picked up and pumped to the bearings. Gas is a lousy lubricant and has no film strength what so ever. I would think this double ester product with a fuel dilution issue would be a recipe for potenial diaster. If I had a fuel dilution issue, I would want to make sure the fuel was absorbed by the lubricant and I would change my oil sooner.

Ken
Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered

Just thought I'd throw something out to all the regulars of this thread:

The point of threaded forums is so that information is convienently searchable. I used to keep up with this thread religiously, but it's gotten so big, it's always hard to tell where I left off. I can imagine how intimidating it is for someone new. Not only that, but much of the intial info is now irrelavent due to new product release. A new person would not know where to start.

I think it would be REALLY nice if everyone didn't keep trying to put ALL lubrication info in one very old thread. If each lubrication topic was given a new thread, it would be much easier to find a specific discussion (if you spend any amount of time in this thread, you will see there are really about 100 discusions that should each have it's own thread).

There is SOOOO much great info here, but the way the thread has been continued kind of defeats the point of threaded forums.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good point.

Originally Posted by bcarpman
Just thought I'd throw something out to all the regulars of this thread:

The point of threaded forums is so that information is convienently searchable. I used to keep up with this thread religiously, but it's gotten so big, it's always hard to tell where I left off. I can imagine how intimidating it is for someone new. Not only that, but much of the intial info is now irrelavent due to new product release. A new person would not know where to start.

I think it would be REALLY nice if everyone didn't keep trying to put ALL lubrication info in one very old thread. If each lubrication topic was given a new thread, it would be much easier to find a specific discussion (if you spend any amount of time in this thread, you will see there are really about 100 discusions that should each have it's own thread).

There is SOOOO much great info here, but the way the thread has been continued kind of defeats the point of threaded forums.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydrocruiser,

I did not find anything on the motul web site about gas versus Motul mixing characteristics but it does say that the oil bonds with the metal versus relying on viscosity for lubrication.

http://www.motul.com.my/eng/fact_sheets/estel_oil.html

I presume that is what you were refering to and not that the gas would not mix with the double ester oils? Or?

If you can't fix it use a double ester oil like Motul 15W-50 that does not mix with the gas and keeps it's oil interity.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Hydrocruiser,

I did not find anything on the motul web site about gas versus Motul mixing characteristics but it does say that the oil bonds with the metal versus relying on viscosity for lubrication.

http://www.motul.com.my/eng/fact_sheets/estel_oil.html

I presume that is what you were refering to and not that the gas would not mix with the double ester oils? Or?
High safety margin when the oil is diluted by fuel. Provides high oil pressure and limits

http://www.motorspotstore.com/300v15co.html

Here is the link and info...
Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

High safety margin when the oil is diluted by fuel. Provides high oil pressure and limits

http://www.motorspotstore.com/300v15co.html

Here is the link and info...
As I had thought to your above statement, it does not mix with gas. And is $31 per quart or Gallon?

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.