Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What specific Amsoil and Redline oil did you try in your application and found to be great?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Just a brief comment...

I pick an oil...one that appears to be good....run it for say 15-20 hrs...do an oil analysis...if it is good in my application I know... if not try a new product.

I have found in testing Mobil-1/Amsoil/Redline and RP.. that they all were great. Never found one to be "bad"...

The biggest mistakes I feel in choosing a synthetic or any oil... is getting the wrong viscosity for the wrong engine/climate; especially if it is cold out and the oil is too thick.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What would be the coldest ambient temperature that one could still run a 20W50 like Amsoil Series 2000 race oil in a marine engine (Merc 496) with closed cooling and 120F thermostat that runs ~135F coolant temperature when warmed? The bearing cllearances are now ~0.0025" and ~0.003" mains with HV oil pump. 30F?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Just a brief comment...

I pick an oil...one that appears to be good....run it for say 15-20 hrs...do an oil analysis...if it is good in my application I know... if not try a new product.

I have found in testing Mobil-1/Amsoil/Redline and RP.. that they all were great. Never found one to be "bad"...

The biggest mistakes I feel in choosing a synthetic or any oil... is getting the wrong viscosity for the wrong engine/climate; especially if it is cold out and the oil is too thick.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydrocruiser,

I combined your data with mine.

The Silver Cap is only a few % points less Zn and P than the first line oils listed. I guess the big difference is its base stock is not 100% syn so viscosity stabilitry and byproducts of petrolium base oil breakdown with use is the shortfall?

Thoughts?
Attached Files
Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Are those gallons or 5 quart jugs? I thought they were 5 quart jugs.
Good question. I just ASSUMED that they were gallon jugs. I did not know there was such a thing as 5 quart jugs. TBD.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water would freeze and 20w50 oil will pour.
The important temp is running temp of the oil and it should be over 180F.

To qualify as a 20w oil you must meet a spec in the cold cranking simulator of 9500cP (centipoise) at -15C ASTM D 5293.

If you use a 20w50 in cooler temps, just make sure it is good and warm before you start applying lots of throttle.

Actually, no matter what oil you use you should make sure it good and warm before you run hard.

Ken
Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks.

I am adding an oil temperature thermostat (195F) and gage so that will not be a problem. I just was not sure if the initial flow through the bearing clearances during cold starts/idle would be abequate so as to not be a problem before oil is warmed. I have always idled until the engine coolant temperature is stabilized warm.

Originally Posted by minxguy
The water would freeze and 20w50 oil will pour.
The important temp is running temp of the oil and it should be over 180F.

To qualify as a 20w oil you must meet a spec in the cold cranking simulator of 9500cP (centipoise) at -15C ASTM D 5293.

If you use a 20w50 in cooler temps, just make sure it is good and warm before you start applying lots of throttle.

Actually, no matter what oil you use you should make sure it good and warm before you run hard.

Ken
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by Rage
Hydrocruiser,

I combined your data with mine.

The Silver Cap is only a few % points less Zn and P than the first line oils listed. I guess the big difference is its base stock is not 100% syn so viscosity stabilitry and byproducts of petrolium base oil breakdown with use is the shortfall?

Thoughts?

Additive wise Motul uses Mg mostly and Amsoil Ca..which is fine.

The Motul is a double ester base and they sstill say V-Twin in a Grp iv/v. The high the basestock the more resistance to shear.

The M-1 SilverCap is a great value as it is right up there and priced nicely.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered

Thanks.

I am adding an oil temperature thermostat (195F) and gage so that will not be a problem. I just was not sure if the initial flow through the bearing clearances during cold starts/idle would be abequate so as to not be a problem before oil is warmed. I have always idled until the engine coolant temperature is stabilized warm.
The new AMSOIL 15w-50 has a cold pour point of -36F. I don't think you will be boating in temperatures like that, so that should not be too much of an issue.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Good question. I just ASSUMED that they were gallon jugs. I did not know there was such a thing as 5 quart jugs. TBD.
My wife got me 4 jugs of silver cap for Xmas. They are 5 quarts each.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
My wife got me 4 jugs of silver cap for Xmas. They are 5 quarts each.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.