Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Here is something i ran across while researching safe oil temps. Has some good stuff to read by another oil freak. No offense Hydro......

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

www.bobistheoilguy.com

as well!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

After thousands of posts the funny thing is that nothing beats M-1 20W-50 V-Twin!

Tried and true.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Penzoil conventional oils have a high parafin level which some liike and some dislike. It adds film strength but when it breaks down it forms sludge.

All in all the correct weight of Penzoil is usually good. Why racers prefer Kendall or Castrol generally I am not sure.
A while back Penzoil marketing campaign began that showed test results of brand 'B' versus Penzoil after x hours of high temperature cook. The brand 'B' looked like tar and the Penzoil looked new. Have you seen this advertisement at your local oil change facility and how does this reconcile with your information?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Puroator Pure ONE PL34631 oil filter

I have been chasing a high oil temperature issue during extended WOT running based upon the electric oil temperature gage information. I attempted to confirm the gages accuracy by double checking the oil temperature with infared temp gun and quick tip thermocouple on the remote oil filter (the oil temp gage sensor is located in this remote oil filter).

The results (attached) seem reasonable given the test method until the gage reading exceeded ~245F. Above 245F the gage reading showed the oil temperature as continuing to increase as the WOT runs continued but both the infared temp gun and quick tip thermocouple readings said that the oil temperature was staying steady at ~220F.

Oil is M1 15W50 EP Gold Cap with very low hours, 5500 - 5700 rpm WOT, hot oil pressure in the 50's.

Is there anything in the Puroator Pure ONE PL34631 design that could be causing this?

Anyone have a similar experience with electric oil temperature gage?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
I have been chasing a high oil temperature issue during extended WOT running based upon the electric oil temperature gage information. I attempted to confirm the gages accuracy by double checking the oil temperature with infared temp gun and quick tip thermocouple on the remote oil filter (the oil temp gage sensor is located in this remote oil filter).

The results (attached) seem reasonable given the test method until the gage reading exceeded ~245F. Above 245F the gage reading showed the oil temperature as continuing to increase as the WOT runs continued but both the infared temp gun and quick tip thermocouple readings said that the oil temperature was staying steady at ~220F.

Oil is M1 15W50 EP Gold Cap with very low hours, 5500 - 5700 rpm WOT, hot oil pressure in the 50's.

Is there anything in the Puroator Pure ONE PL34631 design that could be causing this?

Anyone have a similar experience with electric oil temperature gage?
The Pure One is supposed to be a decent filter.

Next time you do an oil change go with a Wix or NAPA Gold and check your temps again.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
After thousands of posts the funny thing is that nothing beats M-1 20W-50 V-Twin!

Tried and true.
Really?

What about these guys line of Marine Lubricants?

http://www.aerospacelubricants.com/

Chris
Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
A while back Penzoil marketing campaign began that showed test results of brand 'B' versus Penzoil after x hours of high temperature cook. The brand 'B' looked like tar and the Penzoil looked new. Have you seen this advertisement at your local oil change facility and how does this reconcile with your information?
Hydrocruiser?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Really?

What about these guys line of Marine Lubricants?

http://www.aerospacelubricants.com/

Chris
Well, in just comparing the greases, which is a little tough to do, AMSOIL's grease beats there's is all wear tests, which seem to be only the few tests that both use. Oh yeah, and its less expensive by quite a margin.

Also, comparing 10w-30 motor oils, the AMSOIL beats it there too, in comparable categories. And once again, its 2/3 of the price.

Last edited by 07DominatorSS; 06-07-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Chris
Gold Member

It was my understanding that their grease beat out the Amsoil in military testing, and that is why the Air Force and NASA use it to grease their planes, and on the Mars rover. By the way... I have been using Amsoil in my drive, and use Mobil 1 V-twin in my engine.. I have been told by a couple of outboard racer guys the this gear lubel was the ****z, and have tried it in my outdrive. I picked up around 90 rpm +/-, and my outdrive temp dropped aproximately 35 deg. I have yet to try their oil in my motor.

Chris
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have been using Aerospace Lubricants in my drives since the early 90s. I had lower drive temps with their gear lube when I tested back then.

I used their engine oil for a number of years, but it left a black residue on all the alumium components and my engine builder did not like it.

The owners are great guys to work with and will take the time to talk to you about your specific aplication.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.