Old 07-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Ok oK..e-mails keep coming in for a few more choices...here goes:

Castrol GTX 20W-50 cst 17.6@100*C

Kendall 20W-50 cst 17.1

Expect conventionals to shear down a grade after 20 hours of hard use..and expect a synthetic to keep going longer. Maybe twice as long.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-30-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Used 15W-50 M-1 shows virtually zero wear...the guy ran the oil for 6,784 miles. Could have gone much further. As M-1 does not contain sodium he probably has a coolant leak in the cooler so the oil was a bit "polluted". This shows that if M-1 gets "polluted" it holds up great. Not that water/coolant ever would get into a marine engine or anything...

Mobil 1 15w-50 BMW
Interval: 6,784 miles w/ oil filter change at 3k
Miles on car: 75K

Al-3
Cr-1
Fe-9
Cu-7
Pb-1
Sn-0
Mo-83
Ni-1
Mn-0
Ag-0
Ti-0
K-0
B-162
Si-3
Na-26
Ca-2924
Mg-26
P-1129
Zn-1500
Ba-0

Blackstone notes summary: Sodium is not an additive in Mobil 1, possible anti-freeze contamination. Wear is perfect.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-30-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did some research on "iron" wear. A small amount of iron uncaptured by the oil filter can quickly cause mounting wear from the iron in the oil scouring the cylinders.

They say a good magnetic oil plug can really help control this. In a marine application due to practicality magnet oil filter devices are strongly suggested.

www.filtermag.com

I think we talked about this but it really appears that they do work and help a lot. The problem is iron particles are 2 microns,,,too small for oil filters.

Tests done on a Land Rover:

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/f...ndexmain.shtml
Attached Images    

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-30-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Marine Lubrication

I was asked again for oil filter suggestions:

This is a summary from the oil filter study..

Excellent filtering; very good flowing: Amsoil SD

Excellent filtering; good flowing: Mobil-1

Very good filtering: good flowing: Merc HP/racing

.................................................. .............................

Very good filtering; Excellent flowing : Fram HP

Very Good filtering; Excellent flowing: Puralator Pure 1

.................................................. ................................

Good to very good filtering; Excellent flowing: K&N

Good filtering; Very good flowing: Fram ExtraGurad

Good filtering; very good flowing: A/C

.................................................. ....................................

You high mega HP guys need excellent flow...everybody else
can take their pick.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-30-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....tfamilyid/1585

These are cool oil filter magnets..nice price too.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2005, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did do tests last summer...

In summary:

#1. V-twin held it's Csts @ 100*C for 50 hours in a 502 MPI...low wear.

#2. 15W-50 Redcap held it's Csts to 20 hours unchanged; 30 hours slight drop in viscosity and 50 hrs.. down about a 1/2 grade. Low wear..

#3. Conventional 20W-50's and straight weights typically drop a full grade..ie went from a 40 wt to a 30 wt in 20 hours. Low wear.

The conclusion is if you use a 20W-50 or straight weight conventional in a 502 run hard you have to do 20 hour changes. With Redcap you get no shear out to 20 hours and then a bit out to 50 hours...but NOT a full grade. Conventionals are down a full grade in 20 hours.

I did the tests last summer in a 42' Fountain with 502 MPI's.
ran it hard too folks.

I have not done Goldcap recently...no access to the boat this summer it was sent down South.

I found Amsoil 20w-50 Series 2000 to be close to V-twin but not as tough out to 50 hours. It dropped a grade at 50 hours.

These tests were in stock engines. Every engine and setup is different. But I think these results say something. I hope others try some tests and report back. If you get the same or different results it is worth knowing.

BGLZ42..I noticied your Kendall had some gas and perhaps antifreeze in it. There are tons of factors why oils fail and breakdown.

It's tough to expect scientific proof with just UAO's as there are too many variables...all we can show are patterns. The patterns show synthetics are a benefit in marine engines...they give you an edge of protection that conventionals can't.

Use what you like..but that's what trend has been shown over the last year with many oso members backing up their experiences with synthetic oil it does offer more protection to and it can be seen on oil temp. gauges.

I don't want this to get into a pizzing contest on which is better. It dosen't matter. All that matters is that we have information to base choices on. It has been provided.

I was at the St. Clair Offshore race today. One of the winning teams had cases of M-1 V-Twin in thier trailer..they started using it after hearing stories from mechanics here on oso. They won one of the races today. They will not switch.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-31-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Registered

You will not see ExxonMobil post anything about offshore or performance test on oil. They put all their nuts and bolts in passenger car tests. They feel the market is too small for them to handle. I have researched test on performance boats. I can't find anything from ExxonMobil. The only way ou can find things out is by talking to people who have used it for years or engine builders.. I will go look for my Signum Oil Analysis results from our Sterlings. You will be a little shocked.

Last edited by vandy021; 08-01-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

I tried to get the results out of my fathers hands. Since he's the CEO and my boss, I am unable to post them. He said they were proprietary to General Petroleum and ExxonMobil. So if that's any indication of how bad the Mobil 1 results came back. All I can state is that they were full of metal wear and fuel dilution that demanded a change immediately. The viscosity was way out of range. I am I stating it's bad oil no. Just beat up. This was after one Poker Run.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Vandy! That's interesting. I think M1 is one of the best products on the market, but like anything it's not bulletproof! Our engines, like MC engines, beat the snot out of motor oil.

I don't expect to see any data out of Exxon-Mobil. I'd like to see an OSO'ers oil be sent to Blackstone (or any other lab) for some realtime data. Data from an actual boat, used by an actual boater. Man, I'd pay for a UOA of oil from an F1 boat after a race or two!

I'm going to pull a sample for my friend's boat (Captwk's 42' Sonic, 525's) next week. He's running Mercruiser 25w40. Should be interesting.

Take care, Jim
Old 08-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It was posted last June of 2004.

What we found was that the same oil in the same type of engines could give differing results. We think it's due to the type of boat and how it's set up. A 502 MPI in a 42'er vs a 35'er can be the difference. Weight is a huge factor on how hard the engines run and stress the oil.

So that having been said.. what works for one guy may not for another to the same extent. Similar motors may run hotter than others. It's a non-scientific guess running UAO's and deciding what's "best". I gave it up. It takes much more than that.

What I realized is maybe 90+% of the guys on Bob's site all use a synthetic of one sort or another. They have bought into them and so have I. There are still conventional users. This is not a battle nor can it be a scientific way of getting a conclusion cheaply.

The greatest use of a UAO is to see how YOUR engine is performing...not to judge an oil. To judge an oil you need many samples from a testing source that also pulls the engines apart and examines the internals. We just can't fool our selves into thinking anything else is all. Sterling did the testing..call them as i did they run M-1 ..ask Craig.

My .02

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.