Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 09-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

I received a question about oils that have high moly ppm's as a "friction fighter".....here is a brief article..

http://lubesolutions.com/html/molyeo.html

"Molybdenum compounds in motor oils can degrade and cause bearing corrosion and is particularly aggressive towards copper. In almost all cases, any engine oil formula having "moly" will also contain a Copper Deactivator which will protect bearings from the moly compounds. The only problem, the copper deactivator decomposes at relatively low temperatures and looses it's potency after a few thousand miles".

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-05-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

"The word "synthetic" has no real meaning anymore in regards to oil. Conventional oil can be labelled synthetic, there are no rules as to how much % synthetic there must be for oil to be labelled as synthetic. Group III oil which is just highly refined petroleum oil, is labelled as pure-synthetic".

One of the board members e-mailed this to me..my response is if I see a group III. labeled fully synthetic I will post the info as I feel only Group IV and V. bases are true synthetics.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-07-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Got a question about lubrication??

Here ya go...

http://www.engineersedge.com/lubrica...dge_menu.shtml

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-10-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Info requested on Swepco High Performance oil:

Southwestern Petroleum Corporation...SWEPCO offers several oils including high-performance 15W-40 and 20W-50.

The 15W-40 is API rated CG/SJ; CF-2, Mack EOM and Cummins CES ...it would be great for marine use.

The 20W-50 is not API rated and here is what I have found out about it:

It is a high performance oil with a high level of friction reduction additives that started off as a paraffinic based oil as opposed to a PAO or ester. It's base has a lot in common with PAO's so the base oil is comparable to Mobil-1 or Amsoil's.

Additives:
Magnesium: 6
Phosphorous: 1384
Zinc: 1747
Calcium: 3227
Moly: 146

CsT's @ 100*F 70

This sample of Swepco 20W-50 would compare to the base and additives expected to be seen in Premium Synthetic oils such as Amsoil Severe Service 20W-50 Racing; Royal Purple 20W-50 racing; Redline 20W-50 or Mobil-1 20W-50 V-twin.

All of the above oils including Swepco would reduce friction and keep bearings cool and are the best 20W-50's around.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I heard this stuff is excellent for you 2-cycle eggbeater guys..

http://store.yahoo.com/oilstore/pen100synout.html
Old 09-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spin on oil adapters:

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page29.html

I was asked what the easiest way to relocate an oil filter...these work great. Just spin on in place of the oil filter......they work great from what I hear...they have..lines and fittings etc...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-11-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have been asked and begged to rank oils for EXTREME offshore usage in monster motors. I am sure this will throw a few sparks but here we go:

The best:

#1 Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin ...the worlds best heat handling oil and still the biggest baddest gorrila of the pack. 518*F Flashpoint...the worlds best structured heat resistant based synthetic oil with additives to die for!
#2 Redline 20W-50 ...it's jet turbine oil that has automotive additives...just about every dragster uses it. It's a bad boy and the UAO's prove it.

#3 Amsoil 20W-50 Severe Service/ Swepco 20W-50/Royal Purple Racing...solid PAO or parafinnic based oils that are tried and true. But still 3rd on my list.

Any complaints?? When YOUR oil can "flash" at 518*F you will have bragging rights to be #1 too!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER>>>HEAT KILLS YOUR OIL'S ADDITIVES & it's the additives that prevent metal to metal contact at times/ don't be afraid to beef up your oil cooler too. Refer to the posting a few pages back on the topic.

The most expensive oil is the one that does not work for your application.

That's MY top 3 picks and nothing else would be in my offshore boat under any conditions.

...as always..use what you like.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-16-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have received many reports from several here who are using Amsoil Marine Synthetic Gearlube (AGM-75W/80W-90) with great results. They feel in some cases there is less drag and a smiggen of that seen in faster take offs and possibly a top-end gain by some of up to 1 mph. No metal on the magnets as well.

These observations along with a good anti-corrosion package and excellent anti-foaming agents shows Amsoil has earned the right to your business with this product. It is one that I personally would use. The other competitive products have merit of course but this is a marine tested synthetic and to that end is tried and true. I especially like that Amsoil added seal conditioners to best suit the type of seal used in marine drives. Preventing a seal failure probably would reduce drive failures considerably. That is worth thinking about.

Further info and online ordering;
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/agm.aspx

In summary:

-Excellent Gear and Bearing Protection even
when contaminated with 10% water
-Reduced Friction and Wear
-Rust and Corrosion Protection
-Long Seal Life
-Superior Foam Prevention
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-agm_qt_350pxh.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-17-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Redline's statement on extended drains with their oils:

Red Line stands alone in the ability to provide extended drain intervals and lower friction and wear. Red Line Synthetic oils have been shown to last 25,000 miles in field tests; however we recommend shorter drain intervals in order to provide a margin of safety with the oil. We recommend draining the oil between 12,000 and 18,000 miles depending on the type of service and the degree of blow-by gases contaminating the oil. High-speed freeway driving is easy on the oil due to its excellent thermal stability. If the engine is worn and if considerable stop-and-go driving is involved, 10,000-12,000 mile drains are suggested. A good rule of thumb to follow is to change the oil at least once a year regardless the mileage. Manufacturers warranty requirements should be followed while under warranty. Filters can be changed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles in order to assure filter durability is not a problem. Red Line makes a 15W40 Diesel Engine Oil for diesel engines. The diesel engine oils contain significantly greater detergency and total base number (TBN) which helps keep the engine clean. This additional detergency is not recommended for gasoline engines since it could increase the tendency for spark plug fouling. Even though the Red Line Motor Oils meet the specifications for diesel engines, the Diesel Engine Oil should be used where extended drains (10,000 miles +) are required.
You obviously have significant knowledge regarding oil etc. I run a Pro-Charged modified 454 Mag (between 750hp to 800hp guesstimations). It starts to use oil at about 15 hours so I have been changing oil at about that interval. What are your thoughts as to ail change intervals and drive oil changes?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by RBeyer
You obviously have significant knowledge regarding oil etc. I run a Pro-Charged modified 454 Mag (between 750hp to 800hp guesstimations). It starts to use oil at about 15 hours so I have been changing oil at about that interval. What are your thoughts as to ail change intervals and drive oil changes?
Oil is an ongoing research project for me..I learned as much from "you guys" as some have picked up from this thread..

A couple questions..

Do you sense that the engine is actually "burning oil" at about 15 hours or the level begins to drop on the dipstick and you wonder where it went to?

If the oil level is going down ("not being burnt" which is what I suspect is the case) it may because the oil has volatilized off and become more concentrated and thicker causing volume reduction.. The higher the base-grade of the oil the less the volatilization and the oil is more resistant to "cooking down". Also, as the additives become spent the oil begins to break down sometimes. 100% ester based oils for example will not cook down even in turbines.

Oil change frequency on a 800 HP blower engine even with a premium synthetic is probably still up to 20 hours. But expect longer engine life with the synthetic. With 800 HP I would change the drive oil and engine oil at the same periods. I like the way Amsoil Marine Outdrive Synthetic is doing this season from stories I have gotten. The 20W-50 Mobil-1 V-Twin or Redline 20W-50 along with Swepco; Alisyn and RP 20W-50 or Amsoil Severe Service as well are great choices for your set-up. Give one a try and let us know your results. Additionally, the K&N oil fliter is probably the one for you!

Using a multi-vis conventional oil or even a non-premium multi-vis synthetic oil that has viscosity enhancers ( polymers) is not really the BEST choice for this type of application if you are striving for maximum durability.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-18-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.