Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 10-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by jpclear
Now there's my problem; I've been listening to the bartenders! And after letting them serve me for much too long! --- Jer
Ever notice bartenders love thier jobs...all ya gotta do is pour..count and bill.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A guy who knows me laughed his butt off at my postings here and the interest that has been generated around the subject of oil...he said before reading all this he thought the oil did all the work and now feels the additives are perhaps more important than the base oil itself.

Well he is exactly about 50% right. When the anti-wear additives are contaminated or molecularly "spent" the base oil is next to near useless and breaks down fast....and vice versa...so oils with high base contant complement a great additive package.

Adding a ton of great additives to a lesser base-stock however... "is like putting perfume on a pig".
Old 10-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A question was sent in about what oil has the highest ester base stock?

Redline has the highest ester content of any synthetic oil according to everything I have read.. however...it is a little too aggressive on copper for my taste, but indeed a great basestock. It has quite high moly levels and also some very aggressive detergents...maybe too aggressive?

Now Redline Racing has light levels of additives and is good for "one race". If you race and can afford to change that frequently...it's a hands down winner to go with.

I like the high PAO's or ester/PAO blends better with more moderate additive packages such as Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin or Amsoil Racing...if you are racing or doing a Poker Run...it's a consideration.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-09-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Hey Hydro,

What do you know about this product?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=113982
Old 10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Biggus
Hey Hydro,

What do you know about this product?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=113982

I personally do not have much info on Brad Penn oil...this site may be helpful. I see on the label it is a "partial synthetic oil"..not sure what that means?

http://www.amref.com/racing/racing-oils.asp

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-10-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I personally do not have much info on Brad Penn oil...this site may be helpful. I see on the label it is a "partial synthetic oil"..not sure what that means?

http://www.amref.com/racing/racing-oils.asp
When I pressed the Brad Penn guys this summer on what the percentage of synthetic was in their oil they would only say, "less than 5%".
Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
When I pressed the Brad Penn guys this summer on what the percentage of synthetic was in their oil they would only say, "less than 5%".
Most synthetic blends are only 20% synthetic and Bob's guys feel not worth the bother...5% is somewhat miniscule...but perhaps it looks good on the label stating " partial synthetic" for marketing etc.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-10-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I keep getting more and more pressing questions these days...the question is what is the absolute best oil for racing with in a 1000+ HP engine??

Answer:

Redline Synthetic Racing Oil.. SAE 50.. Straight Weight Ester Synthetic (It pumps similair to a 15w-50).

Red Line’s Racing Oils have a global reputation as the ultimate racing lubricant--many teams who have found that the improved performance and equipment durability is the key to winning. Redline Racing oils are made with the most thermally stable synthetic base stocks available and provide the best high-temperature lubrication and a higher film strength than any petroleum or synthetic on the market today. Although Red Line racing oils are categorized as “straight grades”, their low-temperature properties make them exceptional multigrades, allowing 2-4% more power than an oil of similar viscosity, while providing much more protection. Each reduction in viscosity grade allows 1-2% more power. To reduce the chance of detonation, Redline race oils contain very few detergents and are not recommended for street use.

Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin would be as good of a choice or perhaps better and perhaps last longer....just learned this today...fyi.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-12-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I keep getting more and more pressing questions these days...the question is what is the absolute best oil for racing with in a 1000+ HP engine??

Answer:

Redline Synthetic Racing Oil.. SAE 50.. Straight Weight Ester Synthetic (It pumps similair to a 15w-50).

Red Line’s Racing Oils have a global reputation as the ultimate racing lubricant--many teams who have found that the improved performance and equipment durability is the key to winning. Redline Racing oils are made with the most thermally stable synthetic base stocks available and provide the best high-temperature lubrication and a higher film strength than any petroleum or synthetic on the market today. Although Red Line racing oils are categorized as “straight grades”, their low-temperature properties make them exceptional multigrades, allowing 2-4% more power than an oil of similar viscosity, while providing much more protection. Each reduction in viscosity grade allows 1-2% more power. To reduce the chance of detonation, Redline race oils contain very few detergents and are not recommended for street use.

Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin would be as good of a choice or perhaps better and perhaps last longer....just learned this today...fyi.
Both M-1 Vtwin and Redline mix with gasoline well..and you blower guys know that is a big consideration as gas always seems to get in your oil..right?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K., I'm gonna jump back in here against my better judgement, knowing I'm gonna get my butt kicked. --- Valvoline supplies a 20/50, full synthetic, racing oil that you can special order from accommodating auto parts suppliers that you will not find on their shelves cause it is clearly labeled "NOT STREET LEGAL". My engine builder says that this stuff has more zink in it than anything else you can buy and since we are not dealing with cat. converters here, this would be the best reasonable choice for the hi-perf marine guy. His race cars sure do well with it. And by the way; It costs less than $6/qt. from my local store; and he stands behind his builds if you use this oil. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 10-12-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.