Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by jpclear
O.K., I'm gonna jump back in here against my better judgement, knowing I'm gonna get my butt kicked. --- Valvoline supplies a 20/50, full synthetic, racing oil that you can special order from accommodating auto parts suppliers that you will not find on their shelves cause it is clearly labeled "NOT STREET LEGAL". My engine builder says that this stuff has more zink in it than anything else you can buy and since we are not dealing with cat. converters here, this would be the best reasonable choice for the hi-perf marine guy. His race cars sure do well with it. And by the way; It costs less than $6/qt. from my local store; and he stands behind his builds if you use this oil. --- Jer
Supposedly new stuff I understand...

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?Product=95

Low detergency ...like Redline Racing.....change after each race. It's true racing oil...some detergents can enhance pre-existing detonation...

Not street legal as the high ZDDP levels would clog catalytic converters.

fyi..Mobil-1 20W-50 V-twin has more ZDDP....and boron for detergency is less prone to detonation than calcium alone..you can use it longer as a result.

Most engine builders want high ZDDP....that is what reduces wear and repairs during warranty ya know.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-13-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

I am just not getting the detonation thing. If we have a well built engine that is not sucking oil into the combustion chambers in unreasonable quantities, burning, and leaving the unwanted deposits that cause detonation, or as oil, we are doing our job and reducing friction and thereby holding temperatures to acceptable levels, what's with this "pre-existing detonation" thing you are talking about? --- Jer
Old 10-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am just not getting the detonation thing. If we have a well built engine that is not sucking oil into the combustion chambers in unreasonable quantities, burning, and leaving the unwanted deposits that cause detonation, or as oil, we are doing our job and reducing friction and thereby holding temperatures to acceptable levels, what's with this "pre-existing detonation" thing you are talking about? --- Jer
If you already have detonation...(pre-existing) before changing to a different oil..

We are on the same page Jer...lots of ZDDP and a good synthetic base are a winning combination...BUT good detergency keeps harmful particles suspended..I personally like boron for detergency...that's is why I have been Billy Grahaming M-1 V-twin 20W-50 for a year now as the way to go.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

O.K. I guess I can follow that --- but, If our boater has a "pre-detonated" engine, I just don't think that ANY "miracle in a can" will save his butt, even if it is Mobil V-Twin. --- Jer
Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My engine builder also endorses the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" fully synthetic 20w-50. His engines stand the test of time and I will run what is recommended by him.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by RLW
My engine builder also endorses the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" fully synthetic 20w-50. His engines stand the test of time and I will run what is recommended by him.
Very similiar to M-1 V-twin...if ya like it use it..Synthetic 20W-50 plus lots of ZDDP is the winning combo...less detergency just means you need to change after each race usually is all...it's a premium synthetic...

M-1 V-twin at Wally land is $7.00.qt and it does has a higher flash and base than "V-not street legal"...V-Twin still is the king of 20W-50's... at a flash of 518*F...it is a higher base stock

...hey "V" is great stuff...but not #1..we can safely call it a good second choice..how is that?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-13-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered

I guess we are to the point of deciding what's most important to the individual; the added zinc, or the detergents. If we are going to leave it in all season, then the detergents have real merit, but I think that I like the added zinc. And if my oil ever gets to 518*F, I'm really screwed anyhow! --- Jer
Old 10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess we are to the point of deciding what's most important to the individual; the added zinc, or the detergents. If we are going to leave it in all season, then the detergents have real merit, but I think that I like the added zinc. And if my oil ever gets to 518*F, I'm really screwed anyhow! --- Jer

You engine guys finally are on the right page....it takes a good synthetic base with lots of ZDDP to significantly decrease wear...that's why the builders tell you to use it..it prevents problems and finally they relaize it and probelms mean unreliability and it costs them $$.

Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W-50 has the highest base/flashpoint and no added polymers to "beef it up" for heat resistance...probably the best detergency package of the premium synthetics...but it also has the best anti-corrosion additive package I know of and engines can be stored for months and the film does not come off...that means no dry starts folks...no other oil offers this to anywhere close to the extent this product does...it is an amazing formulation....it is my favorite offshore engine oil because of all this. I have a reputation to maintain.

The other is a great product but it has to be #2 on the list with some of the others. The Valvoline product is not that different from Amsoil or RP racing in ZDDP content. M-1 V-twin has the most amount of ZDDP of any oil out there. I also understand the Valvoline product has viscosity enhancers..polymers..they can shear down under heat.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-15-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered

I have put the buzz in some XOM managements ears about endorsing the 20w50 with some engine builders or boat manufactures, like they do with the OEM's Doubt much will happen, b/c we said something 8 years ago, so we will see. We were able to get them to be a sponsor at SOTW.. More to come.

Last edited by vandy021; 10-17-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vandy021
I have put the buzz in some XOM managements ears about endorsing the 20w50 with some engine builders or boat manufactures, like they do with the OEM's Doubt much will happen, b/c we said something 8 years ago, so we will see. We were able to get them to be a sponsor at SOTW.. More to come.

This stuff is perfect for any engine where storage for months between use is called for. The film just does not let go even after months...now that's protection. If you coat a metal part with the V-twin and come back six months later it's still on it like glue.

How do they do that?

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.