Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 10-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
If the rollers are sliding on the film of oil, (I hope that it's on a film of oil. If it's not the oil has totally failed and now you are dependent on reserve boundry lubrication,ie: zinc and phosphorus). how can you have metal to metal contact to put a flat spot on the roller? Harley Davidson for years said the exact same thing about their cam bearings...the rollers would go flat if you use a synthetic oil so the motor company a did not recommend a synthetic lubricant. A couple of years ago-the motor company introduced introduced a full synthetic oil that can be used in all three components of a Harley, engine, primary, and transmission. No longer does HD say not to use a synthetic oil. The reason.....they now sell one. a synthetic lubricant is no more slipperier than a petroleum. That rumor started when synthetics were "new" and they weeped out of seals. That weeping was mostly due to the fact that the chemistry in the early formulations of synthetics were not 100% compatible with the seal material, which has also changed over the years. Least not forget that the corvette since since the 90's has had a roller set up using a synthetic engine oil right from Detroit. Even the new GM pickups have roller cams, and I'm sure some of their owners are using synthetic oils.
Makes sense and I agree...synthetics like M-1 are being used on factory fill and not using conventionals even for break-in.

Now on the other hand Redline Synthetic Oil says on the label not to use it during break-in..is it more slick ?? It does have more ester in the base...who knows...but I don't hear about flat-topping from syntetics from most others...by now many oso'ers would have stepped up to the microphone and let us know...it is just not happening much if at all in most situations.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

If flat spotting is an issue it could be from brinnelling of the rollers if they never rotate. Hard to imagine.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bglz42
That was me posting on BITOG. Merc's oil is great stuff, (most likely the best conventional I've seen), but I'd never use it (OR ANY OTHER OIL) more than 25 hours in a BB marine engine. If I were to try to go 100 hours I'd definitely use synthetic. And test, test, test! These engines are TOUGH on oil!
bglz42,

Do you have any before and after Blackstone analysis data on Mobil 1 V-twin oil that you care to share?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Registered

Some befores on Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Tested 2/11/04
Iron 3
Chromium 0
Lead 1
Copper 0
Tin 0
Aluminum 2
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Boron 216
Sodium 9
Magnesium 41 (Dispersant/Dertergent Additive)
Calcium 2186 (Dispersant/Dertergent Additive)
Barium 0 (Dispersant/Dertergent Additive)
Phosphours 1476 (Anti-wear Additive)
Zinc 1769 (Anti-wear Additive)
Molybdenum 109 (Anti-wear Additive)
Titanium 0
Vadnadium 0
Potassium 0

Viscosity @ 100 C ( 212F) cST 19.64
Lab.. CTC Analytical Services, Atlanta Ga.

Hope this helps. Ken
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Registered

Heres another report on the oil I use in my small block.
It's blended by Spectro Oil. The product is Golden American 20w50. This product is also for V-Twin engins. The analysis was also done by CTC Analytical Services in Atlanta. This was a sample on new unused oil.

Iron 1
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Tin 0
Aluminum 0
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 6
Boron 153
Sodium 1
Magnesium 854 (Dispersant/Detergent)
Calcium 274 (Dispersant/Detergent)
Barium 0 (Dispersant/Detergent)
Phosphours 2707 (Anti-wear additive)
Zinc 2002 (Anti-wear additive)
Molybdenum 5 (Anti-wear additive)
Titanium 0
Vadnadium 0
Potassium 0

Viscosity @ 100C (212F) 18.75
Old 11-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does anyone have some "after" results on Mobil 1 V Twin?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I was asked a couple times on how long to run 15W-50 Goldcap in a stock 502 or 496 if you run moderately hard but only once in a while.

My best guess is that Goldcap Extended can be run about 30-40 hours before needing a change. I do know of a guy who runs it for 50 hours but does a filter change at 25 hours and fills the new filter up with oil as the old filter is removed. His filter is obviously installed "upside down".

50 hours with Goldcap extended is reasonable to consider in a boat that is not racing or running full bore a lot.

I was asked why I talk about Mobil-1 so much...well if you want a great product "off the shelf" at a great pirce. M-1 15W-50 at Walmarts in gallon containers comes out to $5.45 /qt. M-1 20W-50 V-Twin is $7.00/qt at Walmarts.

Most other synthetics go for more and up to $ 10.00/qt.

That's why.

I was again asked if the $7.00/qt Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin is as good as a $10.00 20W-50. The answer is yes and save $3.00/qt. I have not found anything that beats it. It flows well in cooler weather...protects like a 50wt in hot weather...it has the right anti-wear and special anti-corrosion additives. It is a hard act to beat.

Not everybody needs it...Goldcap is fine unless you run full throttle all the time or race.
Hydrocruiser,

I checked my local Walmart. They had every possible Mobil 1 except the 20W50 V twin. Have you purchased any from Walmat lately?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Rage
Hydrocruiser,

I checked my local Walmart. They had every possible Mobil 1 except the 20W50 V twin. Have you purchased any from Walmat lately?

This is straight from ExxonMobil, and I have the inside line being a distributor. There is a shortage of Mobil 1, due to the hurricanes. Beaumont was shut down for three weeks.

Distributors are allocated to 65% of all Mobil 1 grades. Walmart and Sam's are on the same allocation.

Mobil 1 6x1 cases ran out 2 weeks ago and production just started again a week and a half ago.. 5w20 ran out 4 weeks ago due to the consumption of Honda's. Also the 20w50 supplies were blacked out two weeks ago and the last 10 cases went to a distributor in Ohio. There was a shortage in bottles and oil supply. Things are running though at 130% of historical levels last time I checked. No one else can get you this info but a distributor or ExxonMobil employee.

There supply is starting to flow back in again. I could post the information, but it is proprietary information to ExxonMobil and their distributors.. So legally I cannot post the letter.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Marine Lubrication

PS Rage if you are near or in Indaiana I can sell you some 20w50. i had 50 cases and I only have six left and we aren't able to get anymore due to allocation at this time.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered

Rage, try Golden Spectro 4 20w50, you woun't be disappointed. It's available at most any Japanese motorcycle shop. Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.