Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by vandy021
PS Rage if you are near or in Indaiana I can sell you some 20w50. i had 50 cases and I only have six left and we aren't able to get anymore due to allocation at this time.
Nice of you to offer. How many quarts per case, six? The 496HO needs nine to start and then some for back up. You said that you are a distributor. Would it be too much trouble to ship it to me by UPS etc?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in Indiana or Ohio I might be able to take care of you. There are 36 quarts left and there is a black out still on all Mobil 1 case goods. I just got word about an hour ago.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by vandy021
PS Rage if you are near or in Indaiana I can sell you some 20w50. i had 50 cases and I only have six left and we aren't able to get anymore due to allocation at this time.

..try e-bay
Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

I can put you in touch with a distributor if you are not in Indiana or Ohio.. PM me. and I can help you out.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
..try e-bay
Good suggestion but only one case available for bid and I need two.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Does a lighter weight synthetic oil increase both horsepower and fuel economy?

Yuppers...that's why 0W-30 racing synthetics are getting popular even in Indy cars...BUT..your engine has to be set up to use a light oil or it will be torn to shreads in the process...ie. I would not use 0W-30 racing synthetic in a big-block marine engine...would you?
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-p62151_image_large.jpg  
Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Does a lighter weight synthetic oil increase both horsepower and fuel economy?

Yuppers...that's why 0W-30 racing synthetics are getting popular even in Indy cars...BUT..your engine has to be set up to use a light oil or it will be torn to shreads in the process...ie. I would not use 0W-30 racing synthetic in a big-block marine engine...would you?
A 0w-X will increase horsepower and fuel economy, will you see the difference? Maybe. Detroit is under a lot of pressure to increase the CAFE numbers (corporate average fuel economy) of their cars, if changing to a 0w increases the milage .2 mpg times the millions of cars they produce I guess the nation as whole will be better off and so will the auto makers. As a rule of thumb in a racing application a lighter weight oil will work well for a number of reasons; The tolerences of the engine are a tick tighter, maybe a half to three quarters of a thou. The oil pumps pump higher volume and pressure and once they start the engine they flat foot it for 500 miles. No stop and start. They also rebuild the whole engine after the race. A heavier weight oil has more film strength. Film strength helps to keep engine parts apart. It is a lot harder to "fall thru" the film layer of a 50 weight than a 20 weight. Remember ALL OIL THINS WITH HEAT. The thickest your oil will be on any given day is just before you start the engine. After that the oil starts to thin, the heavier the oil film at operating temps the better off you will be. Ken
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Registered

We sell all of the Indy car teams. From Ganassi, to Team Green. They all love the 0w30. Some are still using the 15w50 and a few have moved to the 5w40. Penske gets a special formulation from ExxonMobil that is not available to the public.. It's great stuff.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
A 0w-X will increase horsepower and fuel economy, will you see the difference? Maybe. Detroit is under a lot of pressure to increase the CAFE numbers (corporate average fuel economy) of their cars, if changing to a 0w increases the milage .2 mpg times the millions of cars they produce I guess the nation as whole will be better off and so will the auto makers. As a rule of thumb in a racing application a lighter weight oil will work well for a number of reasons; The tolerences of the engine are a tick tighter, maybe a half to three quarters of a thou. The oil pumps pump higher volume and pressure and once they start the engine they flat foot it for 500 miles. No stop and start. They also rebuild the whole engine after the race. A heavier weight oil has more film strength. Film strength helps to keep engine parts apart. It is a lot harder to "fall thru" the film layer of a 50 weight than a 20 weight. Remember ALL OIL THINS WITH HEAT. The thickest your oil will be on any given day is just before you start the engine. After that the oil starts to thin, the heavier the oil film at operating temps the better off you will be. Ken
Well said!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hydro,

I didn't realize until recently that Amsoil has a 20w-50 Racing oil. I was using 15w-40 in a 7.4 MPI but so far, the 1st 48 hours of the 540's life has had Valvoline 50w Racing. I don't think I want to run the 15w-40 Amsoil, but the 20w-50 might be do the trick. Their 60w Racing wouldn't be the best choice with it either. I don't think I've ever sen the 20w-50 Racing come up in discussions.

What are your thoughts on the Amsoil 20w-50 Racing? Or anyone for that matter.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.