Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
Hydro,

I didn't realize until recently that Amsoil has a 20w-50 Racing oil. I was using 15w-40 in a 7.4 MPI but so far, the 1st 48 hours of the 540's life has had Valvoline 50w Racing. I don't think I want to run the 15w-40 Amsoil, but the 20w-50 might be do the trick. Their 60w Racing wouldn't be the best choice with it either. I don't think I've ever sen the 20w-50 Racing come up in discussions.

What are your thoughts on the Amsoil 20w-50 Racing? Or anyone for that matter.
When someone says "racing" in a lubricant application don't get too excited. A "racing" lubricant usually has less additive content because the product isn't used for long periods of tome. The oil is usually changed after a race and when the new oil is poured in so isn't a whole new slug of additives. Not the best use for a boater, (unless you are racing). As I have stated on this thread before, a motorcycle oil contains a higher slug of additives, ( especially the anti-wear ones) than auto product. Try Spectro Golden 4 motorcycle in a 20w50 viscosity for your boat. It will stay in grade, provide extremely high levels of anti-wear and detergency, and most important, won't disappoint. Ken
Old 11-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
Hydro,

I didn't realize until recently that Amsoil has a 20w-50 Racing oil. I was using 15w-40 in a 7.4 MPI but so far, the 1st 48 hours of the 540's life has had Valvoline 50w Racing. I don't think I want to run the 15w-40 Amsoil, but the 20w-50 might be do the trick. Their 60w Racing wouldn't be the best choice with it either. I don't think I've ever sen the 20w-50 Racing come up in discussions.

What are your thoughts on the Amsoil 20w-50 Racing? Or anyone for that matter.
Lots of boat racers use the Amsoil 20W-50 Severe Service Racing Oil...my humble opinion is that IT ROCKS...

15W-40 Marine Amsoil is fine in a 7.4 stock engine by the way.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-11-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
When someone says "racing" in a lubricant application don't get too excited. A "racing" lubricant usually has less additive content because the product isn't used for long periods of tome. The oil is usually changed after a race and when the new oil is poured in so isn't a whole new slug of additives. Not the best use for a boater, (unless you are racing). As I have stated on this thread before, a motorcycle oil contains a higher slug of additives, ( especially the anti-wear ones) than auto product. Try Spectro Golden 4 motorcycle in a 20w50 viscosity for your boat. It will stay in grade, provide extremely high levels of anti-wear and detergency, and most important, won't disappoint. Ken
"Racing" can mean a low detergent oil for less chance of detonation that is used for "one race". That is very true of some conventional oils and Redline.

Amsoil Severe Service Racing has all the good additives and detergents....and it can be used for a normal service period.

Most motorcycle oils are able to offer more phosphorous (ZDD"P") as motorcycles do not have cataylic converters that can be plugged up by this great anti-wear pressure additive.
Some automotive oils have reduced levels of ZDDP because of this. FYI M-1 EP Synthetics have good doses of ZDDP.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-11-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
"Racing" can mean a low detergent oil for less chance of detonation that is used for "one race". That is very true of some conventional oils and Redline.

Amsoil Severe Service Racing has all the good additives and detergents....and it can be used for a normal service period.

Most motorcycle oils are able to offer more phosphorous (ZDD"P") as motorcycles do not have cataylic converters that can be plugged up by this great anti-wear pressure additive.
Some automotive oils have reduced levels of ZDDP because of this. FYI M-1 EP Synthetics have good doses of ZDDP.
Hydrocruiser,

What are the pros and cons of M1 V-Twin versus M1 EP in a marine engine?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
Hydrocruiser,

What are the pros and cons of M1 V-Twin versus M1 EP in a marine engine?
It is not a matter of pros and cons but rather a matter of matching one of these fine oils to your specific application.

The M-1 EP 15W-50 has a great base and great ZDDP levels and excellent detergency as well. It is well suited to most offshore applications and many here use it and have great results to share. I have found it going for about $5.45/qt.

If you race or like spending a lot of time at WOT; have hopped up mills or want the MOST protection available.. then move up to a Premium Synthetic like M-1 20W-50 V-Twin as it has even a tougher base and more anti-wear additives with a beefed up detergency chemistry to match. I have bought it for as little as $7.00/qt.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-12-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Registered

Some motorcycle manufactures,(BMW in particular has been selling their brand of engine oil for approx. 20 years. The last 8-10 years BMW has been installing cats on their motorcycles. The ZDDP levels that BMW uses in their lubricant is one of the highest in the industry. To my knowledge they have not had any problems with bad cats due to higher level of ZDDP. Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not a matter of pros and cons but rather a matter of matching one of these fine oils to your specific application.

The M-1 EP 15W-50 has a great base and great ZDDP levels and excellent detergency as well. It is well suited to most offshore applications and many here use it and have great results to share. I have found it going for about $5.45/qt.

If you race or like spending a lot of time at WOT; have hopped up mills or want the MOST protection available.. then move up to a Premium Synthetic like M-1 20W-50 V-Twin as it has even a tougher base and more anti-wear additives with a beefed up detergency chemistry to match. I have bought it for as little as $7.00/qt.
Hydrocruiser,

Do you loose any rpms going from the Mercury 25W40 to the M-1 V-Twin 20W50 with fully warmed engine?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

No, you see no RPM dif at all. We used it in 1050 Sterlings and in 1075 Mercury SCi's.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was asked what might be a better choice than 10W-30 M-1 in C-6 Corvette engine?

Well I do think that 10W-30 Mobil-1 is a good choice especially if you change frequently anyways....

If you want:

-Boosted levels of anti-wear additives
-Faster flow to critical engine parts
-Helps protect supercharged, turbocharged, and high revving engines.

Try this along with a M-1 oil filter:
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-rodi_1871_88820956.gif  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-14-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
Hydrocruiser,

Do you loose any rpms going from the Mercury 25W40 to the M-1 V-Twin 20W50 with fully warmed engine?
Also, no difference is seen in 525's from my experience when warmed up.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.