Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
Starting the engine, combustion contributes the most to oil temp...., oil additives are temp sensitive, if the oil does not get hot enough some additive packages won't work. Oil should get over 180 F to "bun off" any condensate which may have accumulated in the oil, remember oil testing at the high end is 210F or 100C. The actual high temp an oil can run at is well over 300F. Would I change the oil after a run which produced temps above 300F? Yes, at temps over 300F oil starts to oxidize at a faster rate so the useful life of the oil is shortened. I have heard of oil temps so hot that epoxy in the ignition windings of the stator (that is oil cooled )melted, shorting out the ignition. The oil had "burned off" all its light ends but was still lubricating the engine. There was no engine damage.
Why would a person who has 10's of thousands of dollars tied up in a toy, try to "save " money by purchasing the cheapest lubricant possible. Buy the better oil and buy one less beer at the bar. Ken
Now here's a guy that knows his sh!t... In the lubricant industry you are what we call an involved buyer..
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
Starting the engine, combustion contributes the most to oil temp...., oil additives are temp sensitive, if the oil does not get hot enough some additive packages won't work. Oil should get over 180 F to "bun off" any condensate which may have accumulated in the oil, remember oil testing at the high end is 210F or 100C. The actual high temp an oil can run at is well over 300F. Would I change the oil after a run which produced temps above 300F? Yes, at temps over 300F oil starts to oxidize at a faster rate so the useful life of the oil is shortened. I have heard of oil temps so hot that epoxy in the ignition windings of the stator (that is oil cooled )melted, shorting out the ignition. The oil had "burned off" all its light ends but was still lubricating the engine. There was no engine damage.
Why would a person who has 10's of thousands of dollars tied up in a toy, try to "save " money by purchasing the cheapest lubricant possible. Buy the better oil and buy one less beer at the bar. Ken
We have a few good stories to tell....several have commented that main bearings lubed with Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W-50 look like brand new on tear down.

Now that we have "seen" the stuff works it justifies the added price. I started all this a year and a half ago to get some products used and to see what works BEST. I found my answer.

I also realize that Amsoil has several great products and that Kendall 20W-50 is well respected and should be. Shell Rotella 15W-40 is the way to go for a great conventional formulation that is nicely priced.

I do not want to appear to be the "end all" of what you should and should not use. But you guys have kept me in line from time to time when I got a bit over-zealous with my preferences. Lots of great choices...but very few BEST POSSIBLE contenders. The Premium Synthetics rule and they should due to cost...but they are worth every drop in my opinion. It is not marketing BS it is fact on both paper and in the crankcase they add a bigger margin of saftey and protection. These products are not ripoffs...they work.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-23-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Amsoil Oil Filters looking quite impressive...who is going to give 'em a try for us?

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/EaO.aspx

Benefits include:
• 25,000 miles or one year service life in cars and light trucks
• Higher capacity than competing filter lines
• Excellent flow characteristics
• Reduced engine wear
• Certified OEM fitment

The filters also feature fully tucked seams, a molded element seal, roll-formed threads and a long-lasting premium grade silicone anti-drain valve.

Fast Fact: A nanofiber is less than one micron in diameter. A human hair is 80 microns.

Nanofiber Filter Media

Traps sub-micron size particles on the nanofiber surface
Prevents particles from lodging in the filter media depth
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-eao_large_300px.jpg  
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A couple oil geeks wrote this...

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt
Old 11-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Just noticed Amsoil is phasing out the SDF's and replacing them with these new Ae filters. I think I still have a few left for the boat and my wifes car so I guess I'll be going through them first.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
Just noticed Amsoil is phasing out the SDF's and replacing them with these new Ea filters. I think I still have a few left for the boat and my wife's car so I guess I'll be going through them first.
I like the flow of the old and new filters...this is the secret of going to an extended drain frequency....great flowing and trapping filters...it will extend the life of any oil I would imagine unless you have a situation where the oil is overheating and then you have got a BIG problem.

Oil overheating is probably responsible for more engine failures than most realize. It decomposes the oil and you are left with little film strength.

Remember...keep your oil cool...probably the best lesson we seemed to have picked up on this year.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-28-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was asked what is the lowest viscosity Synthetic oil that I would consider trying out in a stock offshore rig....my best guess would be M-1 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle oil. It probably would be just fine and you would get better immediate flow and great cooling too. I would not use it for racing or in hopped up mills. But for 496's or Small blocks why not as it has a flashpoint of 487*F...tough stuff...! It has lots of ZDDP like it's big brother V-Twin.

15W-40 Amsoil would be worth a look see too.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...4T_10W-40.aspx

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-28-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I got a couple more e-mails asking if there is a "SAE 30 WT" synthetic...this is the closest thing I can find...up to you as to deciding if you want to go with it.
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-acd_gallon_350px.jpg  
Old 12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Should you fog before storage?..yes...with what? a product such as Merc's fogging oil..

A side advantage to fogging some have found is the hard carbon gets softened by the oil when sitting for a few months. Noticed this visiting a shop doing preseason rebuilds, the carbon comes off "ez" if the engine had been fogged.

Probably some gets blown off after the first good run too.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The top rated non-synthetic oils from a recent study I came upon....

Castrol RX Super 15w40
Chevron Delo 400 15w40
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40
Pennzoil Long-Life 15w40
Quaker State 4X4 Synthetic Blend 15w40
Shell Rotella-T 15w40
SuperTech 2000 (WalMart) 15w40
Valvoline All Fleet 15w40
Castrol Syntec Blend Truck and 4X4 15w40

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.