Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Oh quit it with the "Hydro said stuff"....

Oils labeled "diesel" have harsher detergents for soot and carbon control... like magnesium and silicon. They are also high in ZDDP for anti-wear... They are the only choices for a diesel for sure...some feel good for any iron block rig...but they can be hard on aluminum parts and not for use in aluminum block engines so say the gurus. So not for your family vehicle...but marine use? Looking good after looking into it more...

They are probably the best of the lower priced oils. Rotella goes for 6 bucks at Home Depot in 5 qt plastic containers. With a $2.99 A/C filter it's the best value out there if you want to pay less...and some do.

Not to worry my synthetic friends....you guys have much tougher film strength and outperform all those other guys..
Silicon is in engine oil....,...............it's a anti-foam additive.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IM4A2Z
How about a lineup in suggested recommended order of Drive Oils/Gear Lubes?

Lot's of great reading here, Thanks
I was already a BIG fan of Mobil 1 Syn oils. 95 Yukon with 185K miles all on Mobil 1 10w30 and the Z06 gets 5w30. Previous boat had Mobil 1 as well.

To add to everyone's confusion. The Mobilube SHC series is gone now. It's not Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil for the 75w90 and the 80w140. Also Superflo is gone, cases are still aviliable in stores. Also the Mobiltrans SHC 50 will be renamed..

Also one more wrench into your fire. The PVL/TRUCK/SUV oils have changed again... Here's the letter going to customers..

ENJOY!!
Attached Files
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Hydro,heres a question from us northern guys:What is a good weight of synthetic oil to run in a snowmobile chain case? I don't buy off on getting little 6 oz bottles for 7-10$ from klotz or a oem,its obviously not some magical oil,it looks like 40 or 50 wt motor oil but I'm not sure. Its just lubricating steel sprockets spinning with a chain on them and has to lubricate down to about -20 degrees f. There are guys running 80/90 synthetic but I think it robs hp in the cold. On a side note I ended up with 55 gallons of synthetic quaker state 50wt gear oil that is about useless for anything,would it be a good candidate for these chaincases? Any opinions or experience on what oil would be about the best without getting ripped off buying these little bottles of "mystery oil" (I have 5 sleds to fill chain cases on),Smitty
Old 12-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oils labeled "diesel" have harsher detergents for soot and carbon control... like magnesium and silicon
Ya know Hydrocruiser, for a guy who does a lot of research... you sure don't do much research...

V-Twin has the same silicon level as the HDEO's. And the ONLY HDEO that uses high levels of magnesium is MOBIL DELVAC 1. Rotella and Delo both have very low levels of Magnesium. So what exactly are these "harsher detergents"?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-mobil-various.jpg  

Last edited by bglz42; 12-13-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Hydro,heres a question from us northern guys:What is a good weight of synthetic oil to run in a snowmobile chain case? I don't buy off on getting little 6 oz bottles for 7-10$ from klotz or a oem,its obviously not some magical oil,it looks like 40 or 50 wt motor oil but I'm not sure. Its just lubricating steel sprockets spinning with a chain on them and has to lubricate down to about -20 degrees f. There are guys running 80/90 synthetic but I think it robs hp in the cold. On a side note I ended up with 55 gallons of synthetic quaker state 50wt gear oil that is about useless for anything,would it be a good candidate for these chaincases? Any opinions or experience on what oil would be about the best without getting ripped off buying these little bottles of "mystery oil" (I have 5 sleds to fill chain cases on),Smitty
Most chain case oil is a GL-5 rated product. Although it does not say so all you have to do is smell it. It will probally be a 80W or 75W something. Most likely a 75W if it is a synthetic product. Lets face it you need the low temp pour properties of a full synthetic product just because of the ambient temp you use a sled in. I was using Spectro Golden Motorcycle gear lube, a 80W trans oil for bikes with no problem. When Spectro introduced a full syn chain case oil I switched. I guess it just made me feel better. It comes in a 12 oz bottle so 1 bottle will do my sled with some left. Ken
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,313 Likes on 640 Posts

Smitty;
I have been running full synthetic tranny fluid in my snowmobile chaincase for 2 ears now. I got this from a couple of guys who have highly modified trail sleds. They usually put on 3000-4000 miles a year on a sled! If its good enough for my chain in my transfer case in my truck, I assume it is good enough for my sled. (lower viscosity less HP loss)
Jason
Old 12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by bglz42
Ya know Hydrocruiser, for a guy who does a lot of research... you sure don't do much research...

V-Twin has the same silicon level as the HDEO's. And the ONLY HDEO that uses high levels of magnesium is MOBIL DELVAC 1. Rotella and Delo both have very low levels of Magnesium. So what exactly are these "harsher detergents"?

Jim
...I am ruined!

Silicon comes in many forms...some gets into oil from silicone seals...some in the oil itself and some from "dirt" that has the silica material like that found in sand. Some forms harsh and others not.

It can be a detergent...anti-foamant or "dirt" component. Depeding on molecular form.

Diesel oils do have more detergency and some say a bit more than that compatable to aluminum blocks. But they might be wrong...so I am fine with your comments.

So everybody is right on this one...I think.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-13-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Rookie
Smitty;
I have been running full synthetic tranny fluid in my snowmobile chaincase for 2 ears now. I got this from a couple of guys who have highly modified trail sleds. They usually put on 3000-4000 miles a year on a sled! If its good enough for my chain in my transfer case in my truck, I assume it is good enough for my sled. (lower viscosity less HP loss)
Jason
I am not an expert here..but know of guys that do the same and get great results.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesel oils do have more detergency and some say a bit more than that compatable to aluminum blocks
What causes the detergency? Is it an additive? The base oil? Different levels of something? What? How can it be harmful to aluminum, when most diesels have aluminum in them?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bglz42
What causes the detergency? Is it an additive? The base oil? Different levels of something? What? How can it be harmful to aluminum, when most diesels have aluminum in them?
Detergents are additives. Detergent is a very important component of engine oil. It helps to control deposits by keeping them in suspension and comming in direct contact with metal surfaces and, in some cases, neutralizing acids. Detergents are usually metallic (vs organic,low ash 2 cycle),(commonly barium, calcium,or magnesium) coumpounds. Because of the metallic composition, when burned there is a slight ash residue. When added to a base stock detergents are usually used in conjunction with dispersants. This is commonly called "the detergent/dispersant package", or DI package. The package works like dish soap...if you just had a dertergent, when you wash a plate under the surface of the water the detergent would clean the plate however the food dirt would just float to the top of the dish water and when you pulled the clean plate out the oils would replate to the clean surface. Dispersants surround themselves around the "dirt" and hold them in suspension in the water. This is one of the reasons the water becomes grey or dirty. If we did not have dispersants in engine oil the detergents would just move dirt around in the motor until it fell out of suspension on a horizontal surface. This type of deposit is sludge. Diesel engine oils do not have "harsher" dertergents, stronger might be a better word. Diesel oils must keep soot in suspension. The soot comes from the fuel. Lets just say the DI package in a diesel works hard. Reacting to aluminum? Just not going to happen. And yes, if the diesel oil has an A.P.I. rating that starts with the letter "S", you can by all means use the product in a gas engine. The prefix "S" in the A.P.I. rating stands for spark, as in spark ignition (gas engine), the prefix "C" in the A.P.I. rating means "compression" as in compression ingnition ( diesel engine). There are engine oils on the market that are considered "goof proof". They carry both the S and C rating. Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.