Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by audacity
with out getting into this and my background...

a quote from Mobile:
"Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers."

ps...motorcycle and automotive are VERY different.

REMBMER. MOBIL IS M O B I L!!!! Not mobile

Just a pet peve

Besides I can back the resources up..

www.genpet.com

Last edited by vandy021; 12-19-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Hydro,this is the synthetic oil I asked you about in the past,can you tell me how these specs compare to the stuff your used to seeing,I run it in everthing except my blower motor plus I sell it to my buddys,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-oils19b%5B1%5D.jpg   Marine Lubrication-engine2%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 12-19-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by articfriends
Hydro,this is the synthetic oil I asked you about in the past,can you tell me how these specs compare to the stuff your used to seeing,I run it in everthing except my blower motor plus I sell it to my buddys,Smitty

The 15W-50...20W-50...Straight 40 and 50 all look good as far as the base numbers go compared to premium synthetics...got any ZDDP levels and detergent numbers for me?

What brand is it?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-19-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hydro,thats the "sentinel synthetic" I was asking you about a few months ago. I have never had it tested, I spoke to the engineer in florida that works there and he wouldn't tell me the zddp # but said its pretty high? They put "virgin" molybendmeum in it as a low friction additive. We tested a circle track motor that made 250 hp at the tires and around 350 ft lbs tq a few years ago on a chassis dyno and saw a 17 ft lb tq increase at peak and smaller gains up and down the peak so it must be slippery.I have also seen a few street cars that ran 14 or 15 second 1/4 mile times that picked up a tenth in 1/4 mile. I sell alot of it to local circle track guys but quit trying to sell it to everyone else because they won't pay the extra 5$ a qt over dino oil. I am curious what your take is on it,like I said earlier I run it in all my own stuff (except boat blower motor)and have been for almost 15 years. I don't run it in boat because I change it every 10-12 hours and just won't spend the coin for 18 qts of oil every 2 weeks. I can send you a qt if you want to get some tested,I'd even pay for the testing to see how it actually stacks up against the big name stuff,Smitty
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydro,thats the "sentinel synthetic" I was asking you about a few months ago. I have never had it tested, I spoke to the engineer in florida that works there and he wouldn't tell me the zddp # but said its pretty high? They put "virgin" molybendmeum in it as a low friction additive. We tested a circle track motor that made 250 hp at the tires and around 350 ft lbs tq a few years ago on a chassis dyno and saw a 17 ft lb tq increase at peak and smaller gains up and down the peak so it must be slippery.I have also seen a few street cars that ran 14 or 15 second 1/4 mile times that picked up a tenth in 1/4 mile. I sell alot of it to local circle track guys but quit trying to sell it to everyone else because they won't pay the extra 5$ a qt over dino oil. I am curious what your take is on it,like I said earlier I run it in all my own stuff (except boat blower motor)and have been for almost 15 years. I don't run it in boat because I change it every 10-12 hours and just won't spend the coin for 18 qts of oil every 2 weeks. I can send you a qt if you want to get some tested,I'd even pay for the testing to see how it actually stacks up against the big name stuff,Smitty
Sounds like they are making premium synthetic racing oils. The base stock is real good. The additives sound fine from what you are saying.

Have you ever done a 30-50 hour tear-down inspection?

What do the main bearings look like?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Sounds like they are making premium synthetic racing oils. The base stock is real good. The additives sound fine from what you are saying.

Have you ever done a 30-50 hour tear-down inspection?

What do the main bearings look like?
Everything I ever ran it in then tore down for freshening had bearings that looked like they could be re-used. We ran it in several old,tired,high mileage motors though and had great oil pressure and performance but any oil leaks they had seemed to amplify although I have had that experience with other synthetics too. I originally tried the stuff because I had built a jet boat motor with aluminum rods and ended up with BIG oil clearences and they have a 5w/60 wt that carried good oil pressure in that application.I became a dealer with a nominal buy in where I get 30% off their list price and free shipping/handling which puts it just under 6$ a qt in 24 qt cases,cheaper yet in 6 gallon pails. The stuff is real grey looking out of the bottle and messy/clingy,you have to let a motor sit for a while after running it to get a accurate dipstick reading. Keep up your good oil info,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-boat-90-mph-026.jpg  
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Everything I ever ran it in then tore down for freshening had bearings that looked like they could be re-used. We ran it in several old,tired,high mileage motors though and had great oil pressure and performance but any oil leaks they had seemed to amplify although I have had that experience with other synthetics too. I originally tried the stuff because I had built a jet boat motor with aluminum rods and ended up with BIG oil clearences and they have a 5w/60 wt that carried good oil pressure in that application.I became a dealer with a nominal buy in where I get 30% off their list price and free shipping/handling which puts it just under 6$ a qt in 24 qt cases,cheaper yet in 6 gallon pails. The stuff is real grey looking out of the bottle and messy/clingy,you have to let a motor sit for a while after running it to get a accurate dipstick reading. Keep up your good oil info,Smitty
Sounds like it werks good.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Registered

Real grey looking......................probaly has a good slug of Moly. Ken
Old 12-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
Real grey looking......................probably has a good slug of Moly. Ken
....good point...and too much moly is not good as it interferes with the oil's detergency and makes it too slick...I would do an oil analysis and see what is in there...it may be fine and it may not be...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

...was asked what oil do I think is best for a Christmas tree color rotor's bearings from the 60's....here ya go
...this fellow is using an aluminum tree...
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-x3in1-household.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-22-2005 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.