Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

How long to warm up an engine?

I did some research and some feel excess fuel dilution and more water in oil is the result of excess idling.

SO ...excessive idling is NOT a good thing..

..agree with this?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

no big deal in something w/o a cat. would rather have the thing idle too much than not enough!

the big exception to this is if you run w/o a t-stat!

if we are talking about a vehicle, your automatic transmission will appreciate a good warm up more so than your engine will!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

PENNZOIL GT PERFORMANCE RACING 25W50 - 50 WT.....Performance applications. We have never had a bottom end failure. ever. With proper oil clearence and PSI this stuff works great. No Synthetics.

Dean Gellner
Gellner Engineering Marine Power
Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
PENNZOIL GT PERFORMANCE RACING 25W50 - 50 WT.....Performance applications. We have never had a bottom end failure. ever. With proper oil clearence and PSI this stuff works great. No Synthetics.

Dean Gellner
Gellner Engineering Marine Power
Very similiar composition to Kendall GT-1...lots of the right additives...it would be the very best choice....probably the top conventional oil pick...

....if "premium" synthetic based oils were not around as they hold up to heat better and have more film-strength...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-29-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean, what oil change interval do you use? 20-25 hours?

Jim
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bglz42
Dean, what oil change interval do you use? 20-25 hours?

Jim
I have my supercharged customers change oil ever 10 hours. Grant it these guys run them HARD! N/A applications the same when run to the dash board. Normal usage 20 - 25 hours would be fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I have my supercharged customers change oil ever 10 hours. Grant it these guys run them HARD! N/A applications the same when run to the dash board. Normal usage 20 - 25 hours would be fine.
Racing with big blown power...even with a premium synthetic...10 hrs is right...too much gasloine in the oil to chance going out further. The guys at Sterling told me that.

You need an oil that mixes with gas and keeps down a good film to survive for long under these conditions.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Racing with big blown power...even with a premium synthetic...10 hrs is right...too much gasloine in the oil to chance going out further. The guys at Sterling told me that.

You need an oil that mixes with gas and keeps down a good film to survive for long under these conditions.

Noing nothing about blowers, I have heard that before but it never made sense to me. If they are running that rich that they are diluting the oil, why arent the rings and cylinder walls being destroyed from lack of lubrication? Everybody knows you cant run with that much unburnt fuel in there because it washes down the cylinder walls. Well??
Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by formula31
Noing nothing about blowers, I have heard that before but it never made sense to me. If they are running that rich that they are diluting the oil, why arent the rings and cylinder walls being destroyed from lack of lubrication? Everybody knows you cant run with that much unburnt fuel in there because it washes down the cylinder walls. Well??

Gas and oil mix and you do get lubricity...when you hit 5% gas or nitro-methane you are heading for trouble..so I am told...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

So its a myth that running rich will wipe out your cylinder walls. No gas in the oil rich that is.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.