Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Hydro, If you are only putting about 30 hrs per year, N/A motors, indoor stored. How often would you change the V-twin oil. Would it be acceptable to use late May through September? I have decided to use this oil. What's your opinion? Eric
I know a guy who is in a similar situation and uses V-Twin with low seasonal hours. He just changes on a yearly basis. This oil has a great anti-corrosion package and you can do it without fear. Indoor storage and less temperature and moisture fluctuation are key points in this scenerio.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin is a tough cookie to beat and once you use it and discover how good it really is ...you get addicted to it because it offers a superior level of protection that nothing else can match let alone beat in the marine environment. The heat protection...anti-corrosion and rust protection...dry-start protection for storage up to 4 months...tons of all the right additives...the perfect oil pressure and temperature...it gets the job done like nothing else.

So Wobble..what oil filters are you using anyways?
Hydrocuiser the problem is that the Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin oil is not available in Europe, according to Mobil customer support here in Denmark. So I am considering one of the 20W-50 oils from Amsoil and I am wondering which of the 3 versions to use. Is the MCV (motorcycle V-twin) from Amsoil a reasonable substitute for Mobil-1 V-Twin ?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to get too off the topic, is anyone using a System 1 oil filter? My machinist talked me into getting one of these but System 1 recommends not using the factory relocater Mercruiser provides. Does anyone know of a filter adapter that will work without spending the big bucks for a billet style?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
Hydrocuiser the problem is that the Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin oil is not available in Europe, according to Mobil customer support here in Denmark. So I am considering one of the 20W-50 oils from Amsoil and I am wondering which of the 3 versions to use. Is the MCV (motorcycle V-twin) from Amsoil a reasonable substitute for Mobil-1 V-Twin ?
Amsoil 20W-50 Racing Severe Service is right up there with V-Twin M-1
Old 04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Registered

Hydrocruiser - I can't believe that I made it through all of this information. What a great post! With new engines, how long should I leave the break-in oil before changing to the Mobil oil you recommend? Then, how often do you recommend changing oil - how many hours if I only put on 30/year? 700 hp NA, 1050 Holley. What filter do you recommend? And, what drive oil? I saw your list of oils and filters, but wondered if there are specific ones you would recommend for my application? Thank you.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Hydrocruiser - I can't believe that I made it through all of this information. What a great post! With new engines, how long should I leave the break-in oil before changing to the Mobil oil you recommend? Then, how often do you recommend changing oil - how many hours if I only put on 30/year? 700 hp NA, 1050 Holley. What filter do you recommend? And, what drive oil? I saw your list of oils and filters, but wondered if there are specific ones you would recommend for my application? Thank you.
Since you go 30 hrs per season if it were mine...and I wish it was...leave the break-in oil in there for 15 hrs and then go to Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W-50 or Amsoil 20W-50 Racing.

I like Amsoil Marine Drive oil as it is very kind to the seals...and you need a high flow oil fiter with that engine so I would go with a k&N; Wix racing or Fram Racing oil filter.

Got showers on the drive?

Have a great season!

Oil Filter f/ most Mercruisers
FYI:The thread type on the filter is 13/16-16.
Fram: PH5, HP4, DG5, PH13 (no anti drainback) Pureolator: L34631
Purolator Pure One: PL34631
AC: PF1218, PF932
Motorcraft: FL-12A
NAPA: 1060, 1060gold
Wix: 51060
Wix Racing: 51060R, 51061R R= Racing
K&N: HP3002
Baldwin: B1428 (Top Rated)
Amsoil: SDF-24
Hastings: LF279
Fleetguard: LF3679
Mercruiser: 35-802885Q
Mobil 1: M1-302 or M1-111
Kendall: K31
Penzoil: PZ45
Quaker State: QS5
Shell: S63, SH38
Texaco: T38, T38B
Warner: PH1218
STP: S01218
Valvoline: V056
Old 04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered

hydro, have you ever heard of something being wrong with the filter and the oil going to bypass?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And don't forget about the new Amsoil filters. You can only get SD's if they still have them in stock. I just ordered a load from Amsoil including a few EAO24's. The new ones are expensive (about $12 dealer cost) but as supposed to be higher flow and even better filtration than the SD's.

BTW, I also got my 20w-50 Racing oil for the boat. We'll see if it makes me go faster.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
hydro, have you ever heard of something being wrong with the filter and the oil going to bypass?
Using a cheap or improper bypass valve in an oil filter on a performance offshore boat almost assures the valve is always open...you need a quality filter that is matched to the engine.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
And don't forget about the new Amsoil filters. You can only get SD's if they still have them in stock. I just ordered a load from Amsoil including a few EAO24's. The new ones are expensive (about $12 dealer cost) but as supposed to be higher flow and even better filtration than the SD's.

BTW, I also got my 20w-50 Racing oil for the boat. We'll see if it makes me go faster.
The Amsoil SD filters are solid and flow and trap well. But for big horsepower (700+) or blowers... go with a big flow capacity that the racing filters from Fram Racing and Wix Racing offer; flow supercedes micro-filtration..especially when racing.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.