Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Using a cheap or improper bypass valve in an oil filter on a performance offshore boat almost assures the valve is always open...you need a quality filter that is matched to the engine.
I used a fram tg5 and lost oil pressure from 80# to 20#. mobile one 15-50. I called mercury racing and they said it was probably the filter. I cut this one open and did not see anything strange with it. I'm hoping to get it in the water tomorrow and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydro - thanks for your reply. I do have a Smirek drive shower. I'll make sure to follow your recommended oil, lube and filter. Appreciate the help!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered

Oh, by the way, where can I purchase the Amsoil drive lube? I suppose it has to be from a dealer in the area?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A local dealer or you can buy direct, and at wholesale if you sign up as a Prefered Customer for $20/yr.

I just got my order with some backorders but luckily everything for the boat came in! So the new slick looking black filter will be going on along with the 20w-50 Severe Service Racing oil!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Marine Lubricatio

I went out on the Amsoil website and found several gear lubes. What kind do I need? Listed were the Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube and the SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube, among others. How many quarts do I need for 2 Bravos? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Universal should be the AGMQT (QT is just for quart bottles) which is the new stuff. It's a 75w/80w-90. Don't ask how they came up with that.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

I found a 100% ester based motorcycle oil that may be a notch better than V-twin as newer formulations of all Mobil synthetics are now group IV's which are PAO's and not Group V Esters......even Redline has a mix of Group IV and V's. Cost probably played a big role in recent reformulations.

-300V Ester Synthetic Motor Oil

-Used by World Superbike Champions and scores of other world class racers.

-300V is completely Polar in molecular structure, causing it to bond to metal and protect against metal-to-metal start-ups.

-Provides up to five times more film strength than petroleum motor oils.

.. it goes for $13.40/qt...it is worth it if money comes easy to you..

http://www.shop.com/op/~300V_Ester_S...-prod-12739503
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-12-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I change the oil today. I'm glad to be rid of that baby poop looking Valvoline! It goes in barely translucuent and if you don't run it long so it takes on some black color, it comes out like nasty greenish brown like stuff!

Anyhow, the Amsoil 20w-50 Severe Service Racing oil is like light cherry syrup! It's actually sweet smelling and a nice clear red. It was only on the muffs, but the motor seemed to respond quicker. I wasn't looking for it, I just noticed it.

I was also very pleasantly surprised that after the boat sitting for the last 5-6 months, 2 pumps of the stick and it fired right up and stayed running without having to go to 1500RPM!! It's warm out, but with the Val. SAE 50 Racing, even in 90-100* weather, cold starts were tough. Just seemed like the motor was slooow until it got a little heat built up. It sat with a mix of Amsoil 15w-40 and Val. 40 Racing in it for the winter. Really surprised me at how well it started and ran and still had great oil press. Ya I know, it was on the muffs rattling things on neighbors walls for 3 blocks.

I think I'm going to like the Amsoil Racing stuff!!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
I change the oil today. I'm glad to be rid of that baby poop looking Valvoline! It goes in barely translucuent and if you don't run it long so it takes on some black color, it comes out like nasty greenish brown like stuff!

Anyhow, the Amsoil 20w-50 Severe Service Racing oil is like light cherry syrup! It's actually sweet smelling and a nice clear red. It was only on the muffs, but the motor seemed to respond quicker. I wasn't looking for it, I just noticed it.

I was also very pleasantly surprised that after the boat sitting for the last 5-6 months, 2 pumps of the stick and it fired right up and stayed running without having to go to 1500RPM!! It's warm out, but with the Val. SAE 50 Racing, even in 90-100* weather, cold starts were tough. Just seemed like the motor was slooow until it got a little heat built up. It sat with a mix of Amsoil 15w-40 and Val. 40 Racing in it for the winter. Really surprised me at how well it started and ran and still had great oil press. Ya I know, it was on the muffs rattling things on neighbors walls for 3 blocks.

I think I'm going to like the Amsoil Racing stuff!!
If you look in the trailers of marine racing teams you will many times find Amsoil 20W-50 Racing piled up in cases or a drum sometimes. It's good juice and you will be very happy! What you described during starting means the engine is showing lower friction and is running better. That translates to less wear during start-up. I like the product a lot.

I don't know why but I have not been a big fan of Valvoline products. Castrol and Kendall 40wt conventional's usually show very good UAO's. I would stick with them as far as conventional oils go.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-13-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered

amsoil sever racing. is it synthetic?

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.