Marine Lubrication

Old 04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
amsoil sever racing. is it synthetic?
Yes it is. Amsoil (TRO) Severe Service Racing Oil.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

I may have missed this related topic in the thread. If I did, please direct me to the discussion. So, does it go if we use the best oil for our engines, then a pre-luber is not needed? I am interested in longevity of my new engines, but don't want to spend the money if it indeed is overkill. What do some you oil gurus think? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered

Last year, I bought a Donzi powered by a 5.0 GM MPI (260 hp). It seemed to be "making oil." Turns out that the thermostat was stuck open, causing the engine to run cold and dumping raw fuel into the cylinders, thus into the oil.

I got that fixed and the oil level is now constant. Oil pressure is good at operating rpms, but dips to below 20# at hot idle (still within merc specs and I have not tested the guage's accuracy). I have run Kendall GT 40 wt and Valvoline Racing 50 wt., both with the results above. I'm also running the Wix black (were white) filter.

I'd like some better pressure at hot idle. This year I am considering running the M1 20-50 V twin oil. However, I read back in the early pages about troubles with M1 and fuel dilution. In the event that I am still having some dilution, would this cause a problem?

The reason that I ask is that I swear I can still smell fuel on the dipstick, even though it's no longer rising on the stick. Others have smelled the same stick and said I'm nuts, that it smells like oil. So, I could be just paranoid.

So paranoid or not, is the dilution concern valid with the M1 or can I just switch and put my mind to rest? Might I gain some hot idle pressure? Better longevity?

I appreciate your input.

Randy
Old 04-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gold-n-rod
Last year, I bought a Donzi powered by a 5.0 GM MPI (260 hp). It seemed to be "making oil." Turns out that the thermostat was stuck open, causing the engine to run cold and dumping raw fuel into the cylinders, thus into the oil.

I got that fixed and the oil level is now constant. Oil pressure is good at operating rpms, but dips to below 20# at hot idle (still within merc specs and I have not tested the guage's accuracy). I have run Kendall GT 40 wt and Valvoline Racing 50 wt., both with the results above. I'm also running the Wix black (were white) filter.

I'd like some better pressure at hot idle. This year I am considering running the M1 20-50 V twin oil. However, I read back in the early pages about troubles with M1 and fuel dilution. In the event that I am still having some dilution, would this cause a problem?

The reason that I ask is that I swear I can still smell fuel on the dipstick, even though it's no longer rising on the stick. Others have smelled the same stick and said I'm nuts, that it smells like oil. So, I could be just paranoid.

So paranoid or not, is the dilution concern valid with the M1 or can I just switch and put my mind to rest? Might I gain some hot idle pressure? Better longevity?

I appreciate your input.

Randy
RP and water or gas do not mix..it behaves wierd..M-1 is fine.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gold-n-rod

I appreciate your input.

Randy
Randy, if you think you have fuel dilution, just grab a sample of your oil and send it out for an analysis. The lab will be able to tell if there is fuel in it or not. You will also be able to tell by the viscosity, it will be thinner. You should be able to tell by the smell. Ken
Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
Randy, if you think you have fuel dilution, just grab a sample of your oil and send it out for an analysis. The lab will be able to tell if there is fuel in it or not. You will also be able to tell by the viscosity, it will be thinner. You should be able to tell by the smell. Ken
It is worth a test ...smell it first..send it off...gasoline in oil eventually reaches a concentration where it renders the oil ineffective.

To battle this inheirent problem in many engines ..especially blower engines..you are stuck with very frequent drains of about 10 hours...then just use something like Kendall or Castrol 40wt to keep cost under control if it is an issue using a synthetic.

FYI a fully ester oil like Redline holds out better with lots of gas or alcohol in it and that is why the alcohol dragsters use it.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered

Hydro, who makes Harley Davidson oil for their bikes?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Hydro, who makes Harley Davidson oil for their bikes?
At this time Citgo is making the HD oils including the SYN3 "blend".
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Registered

Someone's Amsoil web site said Sunoco makes HD oil.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

Sunoco was the blender and packer for Harley oil for many, many years. About 2-3 years ago Sunoco sold off it's packing side of the business (they stayed in the distillate side) and thats when Citgo starting private labeling Harley product. Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.