Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
I'm confused. If Amsoil has the benefit of being tied to one base stock mfg. why would they continue to outsource basestocks from different refiners.

If the new Amsoil is a group 4 synthetic and performs better than Series 2000, why would anybody even think of buying Series 2000 and why would Amsoil continue to blend it?

My final question is directed to you................if you are an oil dist how do you stay in business selling Amsoil products at your cost? Ken
1. There would be no benefit to being tied to one base stock mfg. By having the choice of where to get different base stocks they are able to go to many different supplies and choose the base stock that they feel is the best fit for the particular style lubricant they are trying to produce. See #2 for a good example of 2 quality PAO synthetics with excellent chemistry that are aimed at 2 different applications.

2. When you speak of the "New" AMSOIL are you refering to the MCV Motorcycle 20w-50??? This oil is just that, geared towards a good result in motorcycle applications. This oil has an excellent wear ability, actually is the first motor oil that meets the requirements to meet the GL-1 gear oil rating. This makes it good for motorcycles that share engine oil with transmissions or for use in stand alone transmissions like Harley aircooled models. The anti-corrosion ability of this oil is another great aspect as most motorcycle are stored at least a few months over the winter, like boats are. Another concern with a motorcycle oil is to be sure that it is good to use in wet-clutch applications. This MCV oil has a JASO rating of MA which is the highest current rating for wet-clutch friction ability. This in my mind is what really sets this oil apart from the Series 2000 oil as the Series 2000 only has a JASO MB rating which "may" lead to wet-clutch performance issues. The Series 2000 also has a slightly larger ZDDP package that is all important in hard working applications. Simply 2 different oils aimed at 2 different applications just like say Royal Purple has their 20w-50 and a seperate motorcycle oil called "Max-Cycle".

3. How do I stay in business? Simple, this is basically an involved hobby for me at this point. I am a full-time respiratory therapist also. I started in AMSOIL because of the positive experience I had with it in my vehicles. I am involved with a few large motorcycle groups and they had interest in it as well so I took the plunge so we could save $$$ at that point and have really enjoyed it so I will see where it takes me. I basically enjoy helping people out by giving deals and seeing their satisfaction in that, it may come from my healthcare background. Remember when I sell at cost it is just that, at cost, it costs me nothing but with no return financially. I am fine with that, just trying to help a guy out. I do it you individuals and also have a number of race teams that I support that take advantage of my style of business. If you are thinking it is because of the MLM that is simply not the case as I have no dealers under me since I started.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a price increase forthcoming AGAIN!!!.. Start stocking up. Val. just announced and I know my mother ExxonMobil shall be announcing soon...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by o2man98

2. When you speak of the "New" AMSOIL are you refering to the MCV Motorcycle 20w-50??? This oil is just that, geared towards a good result in motorcycle applications. This oil has an excellent wear ability, actually is the first motor oil that meets the requirements to meet the GL-1 gear oil rating. This makes it good for motorcycles that share engine oil with transmissions or for use in stand alone transmissions like Harley aircooled models. The anti-corrosion ability of this oil is another great aspect as most motorcycle are stored at least a few months over the winter, like boats are. Another concern with a motorcycle oil is to be sure that it is good to use in wet-clutch applications. This MCV oil has a JASO rating of MA which is the highest current rating for wet-clutch friction ability. This in my mind is what really sets this oil apart from the Series 2000 oil as the Series 2000 only has a JASO MB rating which "may" lead to wet-clutch performance issues. The Series 2000 also has a slightly larger ZDDP package that is all important in hard working applications. Simply 2 different oils aimed at 2 different applications just like say Royal Purple has their 20w-50 and a seperate motorcycle oil called "Max-Cycle".
Yoy say that the anti-corrosion ability of the MCV oil is another great aspect of this oil, but what about the Series 2000 oil ? How does the Series 2000 oil perform from an anti-corrosion perspective compared to the MCV oil ?
Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
Yoy say that the anti-corrosion ability of the MCV oil is another great aspect of this oil, but what about the Series 2000 oil ? How does the Series 2000 oil perform from an anti-corrosion perspective compared to the MCV oil ?
Thanks
I have not seen results of these 2 oils head to head but I believe that the MCV would be the better choice for anti-corrosion protection. I think that you will see some of the add pack in this oil heading to AMSOIL's other oils soon, especially the anti-corrosion aspect.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by o2man98
I have not seen results of these 2 oils head to head but I believe that the MCV would be the better choice for anti-corrosion protection. I think that you will see some of the add pack in this oil heading to AMSOIL's other oils soon, especially the anti-corrosion aspect.
M-1 V-Twin 20W-50 has 2 distinct advantages..

-Very tough corrosion control

-UP to 6 months storage without a dry start...very tough film strength..much more film strength than most any other they say.

Seriously..this should have a "Marine" label on it...
Old 04-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

June HOT ROD Magazine has a good article on Zinc levels in recent oil formulations and how it has affected Cam/Tappet wear. They suggested that these anti wear additives are being reduced and causing much cam wear. This damage was caused from low ZDDP oils in "automobile" non-racing oil.

Bottom line stick to the products I have mentioned...converntionals Mercury.. Kendall/Castrol 20W-50 or 40wt or M-1 15W-50 EP/V-twin or Amsoil Racing.

The HDEO's such as DelVac or Rotella ect are good too.

Buying a used boat?...find out what oil has been used...most conventional oils for cars are low in ZDDP.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-22-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water in your oil?

A must read.

http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com...g+Water+in+Oil
Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Registered

ummmmm ok
Old 04-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vandeano
ummmmm ok
Simply put even a bit of moisture can ruin an engine and cut it's lifespan way down. Be sure your "marine oil" has a great anti-corrosion package in it. Time between use is a big factor.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was PM'd ...here ya go..

Oils with a good amount of Zinc..(zddp)

M1 V-Twin Zinc 1823ppm
M-1 15W-50 EP Zinc 1376
Amsoil 15W-40 Zinc 1360
Redline 20W-50 Zinc 1360
Rotella 15W-40 Zinc 1218
Kendall 40wt Zinc 1150
Amsoil 20W-50 Zinc 1410

Most everything else was either not tested or too low.

V-Twin rules !

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.