Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Does the Mobil oil filter M1-302 have a built in bypass? set at? If not, what is a number for the bypass version equivalent to L35399.

Thanks, Cant find much on Mobils site.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by o2man98

2. When you speak of the "New" AMSOIL are you referring to the MCV Motorcycle 20w-50??? This oil is just that, geared toward a good result in motorcycle applications. This oil has an excellent wear ability, actually is the first motor oil that meets the requirements to meet the GL-1 gear oil rating. This makes it good for motorcycles that share engine oil with transmissions or for use in stand alone transmissions like Harley aircooled models. The anti-corrosion ability of this oil is another great aspect as most motorcycle are stored at least a few months over the winter, like boats are. Another concern with a motorcycle oil is to be sure that it is good to use in wet-clutch applications. This MCV oil has a JASO rating of MA which is the highest current rating for wet-clutch friction ability. This in my mind is what really sets this oil apart from the Series 2000 oil as the Series 2000 only has a JASO MB rating which "may" lead to wet-clutch performance issues. The Series 2000 also has a slightly larger ZDDP package that is all important in hard working applications. Simply 2 different oils aimed at 2 different applications just like say Royal Purple has their 20w-50 and a seperate motorcycle oil called "Max-Cycle".

3. How do I stay in business? Simple, this is basically an involved hobby for me at this point. I am a full-time respiratory therapist also. I started in AMSOIL because of the positive experience I had with it in my vehicles. I am involved with a few large motorcycle groups and they had interest in it as well so I took the plunge so we could save $$$ at that point and have really enjoyed it so I will see where it takes me. I basically enjoy helping people out by giving deals and seeing their satisfaction in that, it may come from my healthcare background. Remember when I sell at cost it is just that, at cost, it costs me nothing but with no return financially. I am fine with that, just trying to help a guy out. I do it you individuals and also have a number of race teams that I support that take advantage of my style of business. If you are thinking it is because of the MLM that is simply not the case as I have no dealers under me since I started.
Actually engine oils were used in auto manual transmission way back in the 70's. All early Honda manual transmissions recommended 10w30/10w40 in their gearboxes. I would consider these to also be a GL-1 oil. API-GL-1 designates the type of service characteristic of automotive spiral bevel and worm gear axles and some manual transmissions operating such mild conditions of low unit pressure and sliding velocities that straight mineral oil can be used satisfactorily. Oxidation and rust inhibitors, defoamers and pour depressants may be utilized to improve the characteristics of lubricants for this service. Frictional modifiers and extreme pressure agents shall not be used. Sounds like any automotive engine oil will exceed these requirements.
As far as "MA" ratings...........motorcycle lubricant manufacturers realized many, many years ago that motorcycles that shared engine lubricant with a wet clutch had special requirements. This was all well and good until the auto industry pushed for SJ rated lubricants. It was with addition of friction modifiers to the oil that clutches started to be an issue in motorcycles. Some motorcycle lubricant manufactures refused to use SJ technology because of this potential issue. These manufactures were blending am "MA" rated product before there was even an "MA" rating. I wouldn't call "MA" the highest current rating, it is a rating that informs the consumer that the lubricant is OK for wet clutches, the other rating being "MB" implying that it is not good for wet clutches. It's not that one is better than the other, it just means they are used in different applications.

As far as selling at your cost........................can you open a Skater Dealership please. Ken
Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by formula31
Does the Mobil oil filter M1-302 have a built in bypass? set at? If not, what is a number for the bypass version equivalent to L35399.

Thanks, Cant find much on Mobils site.
The M-1 Oil filter bypass valve is an 18 - 22 psi differential pressure relief valve that will provide sufficient oil flow should the media become plugged or clogged.

Very good filter with excellent trapping and flow.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-25-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

does the 302 have this bypass? When I use that number on Baldwin or other sites, they list a non bypass filter as the equiv.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by formula31
does the 302 have this bypass? When I use that number on Baldwin or other sites, they list a non bypass filter as the equiv.
First let me say that Mobil has improved the design and flow and burst capacity of all M-1 filters.

As far as I know the M-1 302 has a spring loaded bypass valve with a nitrile seal.

"All Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters contain synthetic fibers instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 99.2 percent efficiency rating (under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter. In addition, the synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 filter have less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine".

By the way 18-22 psi setting of the bypass valve is just about where you would want it to be. Some oil filters are set at 8-11 psi and are in the bypass mode way too often. In a marine environment hitting the sticks hard and often requires a bit of a higher setting like the M-1 has.

The newly design filter they make would be a first choice for me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-25-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
Actually engine oils were used in auto manual transmission way back in the 70's. All early Honda manual transmissions recommended 10w30/10w40 in their gearboxes. I would consider these to also be a GL-1 oil. API-GL-1 designates the type of service characteristic of automotive spiral bevel and worm gear axles and some manual transmissions operating such mild conditions of low unit pressure and sliding velocities that straight mineral oil can be used satisfactorily. Oxidation and rust inhibitors, defoamers and pour depressants may be utilized to improve the characteristics of lubricants for this service. Frictional modifiers and extreme pressure agents shall not be used. Sounds like any automotive engine oil will exceed these requirements.
As far as "MA" ratings...........motorcycle lubricant manufacturers realized many, many years ago that motorcycles that shared engine lubricant with a wet clutch had special requirements. This was all well and good until the auto industry pushed for SJ rated lubricants. It was with addition of friction modifiers to the oil that clutches started to be an issue in motorcycles. Some motorcycle lubricant manufactures refused to use SJ technology because of this potential issue. These manufactures were blending am "MA" rated product before there was even an "MA" rating. I wouldn't call "MA" the highest current rating, it is a rating that informs the consumer that the lubricant is OK for wet clutches, the other rating being "MB" implying that it is not good for wet clutches. It's not that one is better than the other, it just means they are used in different applications.

As far as selling at your cost........................can you open a Skater Dealership please. Ken
By the way.. I think the lack of friction modifiers in motorcycle oil such as M-1 V-twin 20W-50 is a plus. It has so much ZDDP wear will never be an issue and there is no need for friction modifiers except to meet mileage averages in "auto-manufacturer-land".

The lack of friction modifiers virtually removes the possibility that THIS synthetic oil will ever "flat-top" as Teague looses sleep over routinely.

V-Twin just has the right chemistry for this sport.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-25-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just got results back (UAO's) from a 38' Scarab that has 502's with 250 hours. The guy used Mobil-1 15W-50 EP and A/C oil filters. Paid $60.50 for the oil and filters for both engines.

The sample was run for 50 hours and showed what the lab called "little if any significant wear" with the oil having the ability to continue to be used. No water present.

He did change it at 50 hours anyways...he could have gone 60 hours easilly.

Now the boat was run mostly at 55mph with occasional WOT's. I would call this "moderate offshore use".

So my take is in a non-blower or non-hopped up set-up with "moderate offshore use" 50-60 hrs is worth considering with Mobil-1 15W-50 EP. This scenerio shows the use of M-1 going "extended use" saves an oil change vs. converntional oil and is the same in cost or cheaper if labor is factored in and additionally offers more protection.

If you race or have a hopped up set-up then frequent conventional oil changes or V-Twin and 50 hours (so long as no gas is in the oil) is a consideration.

The results here proves the new reformulated M-1 15W-50 EP is a great product and what most folks need unless they race.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-29-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the Mobil V-twin on shelf at Advanced Auto $8.50. Where can I find this new Mobil filter?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
I found the Mobil V-twin on shelf at Advanced Auto $8.50. Where can I find this new Mobil filter?
I saw them at Murray's Autoparts.

Vandy can hook you up to a distributer and get you V-Twin for $7/qt I heard.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I saw them at Murray's Autoparts.

Vandy can hook you up to a distributer and get you V-Twin for $7/qt I heard.
$7.53 to be exact. I also have to factor in a round trip of 75 miles to pick it up. Still beats having to go into a WalMart.

Craig is "the man." Thanks for hooking me up, bud!

It sounds like I could get away with the 15-50 EP, but the V Twin oil is my new standard. I'll report out once I get it in and run up a few hours. I'm really hoping to gain some hot idle PSI's.

Randy

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.