Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Is there a noticeable difference between v-twin and amsoil? I am running the amsoil lube in my drive and the price would be less for the amsoil because I paid the membership dues. But I would the extra if v-twin is better. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

Just changed to M-1 15 -50 EP in my 496 HO's at 150hrs. I was running Torco 20-50 Racing and had a little lower pressure on the port motor after a hard run. When I fired up with the M-1,the pressure went right to 40psi and stayed there (cold). Even when run up to 2K rpm it stayed at 40 until I put a load on the motors then it went to 60!

Ran it hard and had more pressure than with the Torco and no reduced pressure after a run in either motor. I am a believer!! Thanks HydroC!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by LHC30Victory
Just changed to M-1 15 -50 EP in my 496 HO's at 150hrs. I was running Torco 20-50 Racing and had a little lower pressure on the port motor after a hard run. When I fired up with the M-1,the pressure went right to 40psi and stayed there (cold). Even when run up to 2K rpm it stayed at 40 until I put a load on the motors then it went to 60!

Ran it hard and had more pressure than with the Torco and no reduced pressure after a run in either motor. I am a believer!! Thanks HydroC!
I am glad Mobil added back the ZDDP into the 15W-50 realizing it is mostly for "offroad" use. ABout the only difference now is the cap used to be red.. and now it is gold.

It's also holding up very well in some uao's I saw in 525's that were run 50 hours...the TBN showed it had more abilty to keep going and the wear metals were almost zero.

May as well just use the A/C oil filter for $4.99 which is very good and then twins will be a $70.00 expense every 50 hrs. and you get maximum protection

It's better and less hassle than 25 hr changes with 40wt conventional Kendall..about $40/change...so the conventional is more $$..

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-23-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Registered

I wanted to report back after my switch to the M1 V-Twin. I'm running a mpi 5.0 SBC and was concerned about hot idle oil pressure. With the V-Twin, I've picked up 10# cold and about 5# hot. Maybe 2 or 3 # after a hard run. I'm running a NAPA gold (Wix) filter.

I still worry about fuel dilution (the oil still smells to me like gas) so I plan to do an oil analysis after about 25 hours.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
TC
Registered

Hydrocruiser, What can you tell me about an AC 932 oil filter? Is it performance marine worthy? It appears to be similar in size to the K&N 6002.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

MI-302 filter failure.

HC, I was out boating last weekend and saw my oil pressure drop about 10 psi.

Went home and did an oil change, when I took the old filter off I found that the internal metal screen had partially failed and collapsed toward the middle.

New filter and pressure is back, thank God.

Are you aware of an address/department where I can send the filter to EM for them to have a look at it?

This is the first issue I have had in over 30 M-1 filters.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Wobble
MI-302 filter failure.

HC, I was out boating last weekend and saw my oil pressure drop about 10 psi.

Went home and did an oil change, when I took the old filter off I found that the internal metal screen had partially failed and collapsed toward the middle.

New filter and pressure is back, thank God.

Are you aware of an address/department where I can send the filter to EM for them to have a look at it?

This is the first issue I have had in over 30 M-1 filters.

Thanks
Look back a few pages on this thread..Vandy is a big Mobil distributor...he can get the job done.

I have been lately not putting as much emphasis on going to M-1 filters as we have had a couple such problems.

It seem the really big motors need big flow and Fram Racing; Wix Racing; Baldwin and K&N do a better job at this.

Mobil also changed the design of this filter over the last year...just like they have changed oil formulations...we are trying to keep up with the changes.

The oils such as 15W-50 M-1 EP are now better than the previous RedCap...I am not sure what they did to their oil filters but the older ones had a more sophisticated bypass valve.

My advice...try K&N...many offshore racers use them.

That is why it is worth a minute now and then to keep your noses in this thread...things change!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Look back a few pages on this thread..Vandy is a big Mobil distributor...he can get the job done.

I have been lately not putting as much emphasis on going to M-1 filters as we have had a couple such problems.

It seem the really big motors need big flow and Fram Racing; Wix Racing; Baldwin and K&N do a better job at this.

Mobil also changed the design of this filter over the last year...just like they have changed oil formulations...we are trying to keep up with the changes.

The oils such as 15W-50 M-1 EP are now better than the previous RedCap...I am not sure what they did to their oil filters but the older ones had a more sophisticated bypass valve.

My advice...try K&N...many offshore racers use them.

That is why it is worth a minute now and then to keep your
noses in this thread...things change!
Thanks for the reply, looks like Vandy021 hasn't posted since April.

This was my last old style MI-302, installed a new style one. Will be taking a look at it every couple of trips. Probably will go with WIX racing same as we use on our race cars on the next change.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
Thanks for the reply, looks like Vandy021 hasn't posted since April.

This was my last old style MI-302, installed a new style one. Will be taking a look at it every couple of trips. Probably will go with WIX racing same as we use on our race cars on the next change.
Wix racing makes a very tough filter case and bypass vlave. I am interested in seeing how the new Mobil-1 filters do.

I called Mobil today and they indicated they are being used in higher horsepower applications so they beefed 'em up.

Time will tell.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Registered

Hydro - could you rank the filters as you see them today? I am trying to decide between Wix and k&n filters. I plan to use Mobil v-twin. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.