Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 07-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Question Re: Marine Lubrication

Another one Hydro, Valvoline VR-1 Racing in the 20W-50, and the VR-1 straight 50 ? Info ? and opinions.

While we're at it, how about Lucas conventional and full synthetic oil stabilizers ?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Another one Hydro, Valvoline VR-1 Racing in the 20W-50, and the VR-1 straight 50 ? Info ? and opinions.

While we're at it, how about Lucas conventional and full synthetic oil stabilizers ?
The Valvoline oils have a pretty weak add pack IMO. And just say no to oil additives.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

This is the beloved crew of the Amsoil Racing Team

They said to use "Severe Gear" Gear Lube in outdrives that are seeing high torque and horsepower.

Anyone try it?

..left click
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-dsc_0493.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
They said to use "Severe Gear" Gear Lube in outdrives that are seeing high torque and horsepower.

Anyone try it?
I have had customers run it in outboard lower units for a short time. I recommend more frequent changes running a non-marine gear lube as they are geared toward "less humid" applications.

FWIW: In automotive applications, both diffs and transmissions, the Severe Gear line of AMSOIL lubes is my first recommendation for people that are ordering AMSOIL from me.

Ken
Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by o2man98
I have had customers run it in outboard lower units for a short time. I recommend more frequent changes running a non-marine gear lube as they are geared toward "less humid" applications.

FWIW: In automotive applications, both diffs and transmissions, the Severe Gear line of AMSOIL lubes is my first recommendation for people that are ordering AMSOIL from me.

Ken
I am thinking that Amsoil "Severe Gear" should be in Bravo Drives of High horsepower and torque and changed every 20 hours with the engine oil.

I would personally feel comfortable with the Amsoil Marine Gear Lube in boats with 425 HP or less.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Okay guys...Mobil-1 15W-50 is no longer being offered by Wallyland at this time in quarts or bulk containers...'cept for the leftover stuff..why? .. who knows.

They do now carry Castrol Syntec Fully Synthetic Oil in the 20W-50 weight...black bottles.... darn good stuff and it specs out with the best 20W-50 synthetics as well.

Price...$5.56/qt in quart bottles only.

Great stuff...great price...
Is this Fully Synthetic as you say, or not?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Is this Fully Synthetic as you say, or not?
By definition and law Castrol "Fully Synthetic" is in fact considered fully synthetic. It is a Grade III bodering on the specs of a PAO.

It is better than conventional bases...better than synthetic blend bases...not as good as a PAO (Mobil-1, Amsoil RP etc)..or a fully ester such as Redline. But VERY CLOSE>!

For the money it's a real good deal at WalMart.

We are hearing that 15W-50 M-1 will be making a come back at Wally World.

Wally Land has Rotella 15W-40 for $9/gallon...great conventional product as we have found.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-01-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered

I'm going to be doing an oil sample. I usually suck my oil into a shared vacuum canister, so that wouldn't be purely my oil. I'd like to snake my drain hose throught the bilge drain, but can't easily get under the engine to do so (tight, tight quarters).

Can i snake a clear plastic tube down the dipstick hole, put my finger over the end, pull it back out, put that end in the sample bottle and release my finger, thus draining out a small quantity of oil from the crankcase?

Would the plastic hose contaminate the sample?

Is there an eaiser way?

Thanks in advance.

Randy
Donzi 16' w/MPI 5.0 SBC
Old 08-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gold-n-rod
I'm going to be doing an oil sample. I usually suck my oil into a shared vacuum canister, so that wouldn't be purely my oil. I'd like to snake my drain hose throught the bilge drain, but can't easily get under the engine to do so (tight, tight quarters).

Can i snake a clear plastic tube down the dipstick hole, put my finger over the end, pull it back out, put that end in the sample bottle and release my finger, thus draining out a small quantity of oil from the crankcase?

Would the plastic hose contaminate the sample?

Is there an eaiser way?

Thanks in advance.

Randy
Donzi 16' w/MPI 5.0 SBC
These pumps have been working real well.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx?zo=1132530

Another thing that comes in real handy is if you have a remote oil filter you can put a petcock on it and get your sample.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by o2man98
These pumps have been working real well.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx?zo=1132530

Another thing that comes in real handy is if you have a remote oil filter you can put a petcock on it and get your sample.

Cool ..I had not seen those before!

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.