Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Hydro In post 587 You recommended "MOTUL" 300v 15w50. Does this product have a "anti-corrosion package ?? Does it have a seals additive ??? Why were you so positive on its quality and then you haven't mentioned it again ?? CHEERS AW
Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by obads 31
Hydro In post 587 You recommended "MOTUL" 300v 15w50. Does this product have a "anti-corrosion package ?? Does it have a seals additive ??? Why were you so positive on its quality and then you haven't mentioned it again ?? CHEERS AW
The reason I do not talk much about it is.. whereas it's made using a "double-ester" process...amazing base-stock! It's cost is a bit prohibitive at $13.00/qt.

I do know guys who own and service High-performance Motorcycles; Porsche's and Ferrari's who swear by the stuff.

It may be the world's best 15W-50. But also hard to get around here.

You can get some here if you desire. It is a great product with perfect additives and great anti-corrosion additives for sure!

The only potential problem is that it is made in France I think

http://www.fastwrx.com/mo30co15mooi.html

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-09-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

Hydrocruiser, have you any opinion on the Fuchs Silkolene oils? Ex: Fuchs Silkolene Pro R 15W-50
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrolift
Hydrocruiser, have you any opinion on the Fuchs Silkolene oils? Ex: Fuchs Silkolene Pro R 15W-50
http://www.silkoleneoil.com/pdf/PRO%...04%20Wheel.pdf

I had not previously looked into this particular ester based synthetic oil. From the spec sheet it does look real good I must say.

It goes for 40.15 lire' per quart...you guys do the math!

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-09-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Registered

Luckily it`s not that expensive here in Europe, about half. I am also looking at the Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15W-50 could you give me an opinion on that one? The brands you are using "over there" are not that easy to get a hold of here. So I am looking for a good high perf. oil that are easy to get here.

Thanks for a great thread

... and 1 US gallon of petrol is now about $ 7.50 so spending the extra $ on the oil is not that bad...
Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered

Ok, here is one for you oil gurus. I have a pair of 540 NA motors that I am putting break in hours on. The builder says that I should stay with the Valvoline Racing 40. What qualities does Mobil 15-50 or whatever version of Mobil that you recommend have over the Valvoline oil? I am using the Wix filters. I plan to change oil as often as is required. What are the oil change differences between the two? I thought that I read in a recent post that Valvoline has some undesireable qualities. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Ok, here is one for you oil gurus. I have a pair of 540 NA motors that I am putting break in hours on. The builder says that I should stay with the Valvoline Racing 40. What qualities does Mobil 15-50 or whatever version of Mobil that you recommend have over the Valvoline oil? I am using the Wix filters. I plan to change oil as often as is required. What are the oil change differences between the two? I thought that I read in a recent post that Valvoline has some undesireable qualities. Thanks.

I can only add this. I was running Valvoline in my NA 540 last year for the first 40 hours or so. Also recommended but I changed it at about 10, then every 15-20 hours there after, then again before winter. This year I switched to Amsoil 20w-50 Racing and WOW, what a diffeence. I'm running 34 MPH faster......just kidding of course.

However, what I did see was that the motor seems to rev quicker, which may not be an issue in a boat, but it does. It also starts much easier. With the Val. (I ran 50w Racing) I might have to restart 3-4 times when it was cold. By cold, I mean the motor, but the temps. The temps could be 100.

With the Amsoil I start it one time and it'll idle at 800-900 RPM and it's ready to go in just 1-2 minutes. With Val. I had to let it warm up at 1000-1200 RPM for a few minute it seems.
Been running it all season so far which is about 25-30 hours this year and it's great.

The other thing is oil pressure is much more stable. OP seems high when cold, but when it got good and hot after a hard run, would be lower than I liked. Now cold it's not as high, but hot it's barely any lower. Much more consistant in the 65-75 psi range. It seems to handle the heat much better.

It also seemed ot use about a quart every few hours, but nothing more than what Merc. says is OK for a 502. I had to top off with a little over 1/2 quart at about 9 hours. With Val. I would have gone through 2 quarts easy.

Nothing scientific, just what I've seen so far.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
I can only add this. I was running Valvoline in my NA 540 last year for the first 40 hours or so. Also recommended but I changed it at about 10, then every 15-20 hours there after, then again before winter. This year I switched to Amsoil 20w-50 Racing and WOW, what a difference. I'm running 34 MPH faster......just kidding of course.

However, what I did see was that the motor seems to rev quicker, which may not be an issue in a boat, but it does. It also starts much easier. With the Val. (I ran 50w Racing) I might have to restart 3-4 times when it was cold. By cold, I mean the motor, but the temps. The temps could be 100.

With the Amsoil I start it one time and it'll idle at 800-900 RPM and it's ready to go in just 1-2 minutes. With Val. I had to let it warm up at 1000-1200 RPM for a few minute it seems.
Been running it all season so far which is about 25-30 hours this year and it's great.

The other thing is oil pressure is much more stable. OP seems high when cold, but when it got good and hot after a hard run, would be lower than I liked. Now cold it's not as high, but hot it's barely any lower. Much more consistent in the 65-75 psi range. It seems to handle the heat much better.

It also seemed OT use about a quart every few hours, but nothing more than what Merc. says is OK for a 502. I had to top off with a little over 1/2 quart at about 9 hours. With Val. I would have gone through 2 quarts easy.

Nothing scientific, just what I've seen so far.
You just summed the major reasons to use the right synthetic oil for a specific application. You have a perfect match. Conventionals won't meet the needs you have very well at all.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

SeaRay Jim - thanks for the extended response and for your input Hydro. It appears that there is no comparison between the two. As many hours as I put on in a year, I should be able to change the oil only 2x/yr.

I'm already running Amsoil in my Bravos.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
SeaRay Jim - thanks for the extended response and for your input Hydro. It appears that there is no comparison between the two. As many hours as I put on in a year, I should be able to change the oil only 2x/yr.

I'm already running Amsoil in my Bravos.

FYI...Amsoil is now saying to use Amsoil "exterme gear lube" in high output offshore boat drives and change it of couse more frequently as it does not have the ability to handle much water very well... the Amsoil Marine Gear Lube is not for high HP/Torque output/" heavy offshore use"....and racing. Straight from the Amsoil reps who had a display tent at the St. Clair Michigan OSS race...

So in that case Mobil-1/RP/Torco/Redline are just as good as Amsoil's "extreme gear". Take your pick...unless you like Mercury HP....the synthetics have an edge probably...HP is semi-synthetic.

Amsoil's former Series 20000 Gear lube was a heftier product apparently than the current offering. Teague liked Series 2000 and I did too...it's like they reformulated Coke...why?

I had a feeling about this...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-11-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.