Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by mikebrls
Thank's Hydro,
Very Good Data. :d
You are welcome.

One of the things here is to try to get us more focused. To run a few oil analysis runs from time to time and post it.

One additional thing about synthetics...they are much less volatiles than conventional oil....they don't "boil down"...viscosity retention is important.

We want to see those TBN numbers from the analysis to see if the oil is thinning or thickening. Neither is good.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flyfast...

I know the early 1960's synthetic had aviation problems but I am pretty sure this has been fixed over the last 45 years. There were even corrosion problems with Cessna's cams but now synthetics have corrosion inhibitors...that may not have in the 1960's.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: Marine Lubrication

I saw Hydro's question about ConocoPhillips

We have a Conoco contract for Industrial lubes and Comercial Oils. Our ex-sales manager works for them. Every drums is the same product for a specific type of oil. Let's say their diesel engine oil. Same for all three brands, same drums, same everything... They either put a Union, Kendal, or Conoco label on it. You should see the distribution plant. Confusing as F@!*#
Old 07-18-2005, 05:39 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Re Conoco. Brad Penn claims they now own the original Kendall refinery and the source for the crude which they used to use to make Kendall. GT1 at 50 wt was reportedly developed for top fuel motors with a high degree of fuel dilution.

I have got 15 hours on some Brad Penn right now. I might pull a couple samples and get it done and then compare with the Conoco Kendall. Might be interesting. Probably should use Blackstone as well. Bglz42 do you happen to have a number for them? Thx.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vandy,

1995 . Go to bobtheoilguy and look at the forum under aviation. There are some links to the articles or just do a search.

The motors that had problems were not the daily drivers. The planes that were only used once a week with the large motors. The 520 and 470 cubic inch motors. The small 320 and 360 cubic inch were ok.

My boat has a rich boat carb, I run a 140 t-stat and I am lucky to use it twice a month. Kinda of sounds like the same story.

Maybe Mobil 1 has changed alot since 1995?

Check it out.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Registered

It's gone thru two generational changes and reformulations. I was only 14 at the time so I may not know. I can ask my folks. My dad worked for Mobil and they have owned their Mobil now ExxonMobil distributorship since 1978. I will look into that though. Mobil in 98 went to the try-synthetic, and then in 02 over to the Syper-Syn formulation. It has changed quite a bit, but still isn't for everyone.

Ok, I asked my parents.... My comments were wrong. My mom said they tried to do it for two minutes and failed miserably in 95. She said they were just too far behind the technology to the other guys and tried to catch up. They do though run the market for turbine avi. engines... You learn something every day!! My rents are encyclopedias for these stories. They have been tests for many markets b/c of the 50 year history and our honesty.. They had to ship all the product back after the program crashed..
Old 07-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not to change the subject ...but I have a question for you guys.

Why is it that mostly.. if not only.. Amsoil has "ball and scar" testing done of it's "virgin oil" on "virgin metal" and then publishes the results vs. it's competitors. They always are best in every test...they never loose a single one.

Now ball and scar tests are not "real world".....but what's the deal?

You can't win against them..ever it seems...they are an advertising machine with this stuff.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Registered

Everyone has to look the best in their tests. Does anyone remember the gimmick tests of back in the day, with the egg beaters, grease tests. I think Lubrication Engineers and some others are great for putting their products up against another that doesn't have the same application. They did that with an ExxonMobil product that had no premise in the application. They were using an XOM industiral grease for a CVL application. It was at a trade show. They were misapplying the Mobil product and saying that their's was better.. Gotta love'em all.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vandy021
Everyone has to look the best in their tests. Does anyone remember the gimmick tests of back in the day, with the egg beaters, grease tests. I think Lubrication Engineers and some others are great for putting their products up against another that doesn't have the same application. They did that with an ExxonMobil product that had no premise in the application. They were using an XOM industiral grease for a CVL application. It was at a trade show. They were misapplying the Mobil product and saying that their's was better.. Gotta love'em all.
I look at Amsoil's "ball and scar" tests the same way I look at the Saturday morning infomercials where they drain the oil out of an engine and squirt it with a hose and the engine runs without oil for an hour...if they didn't have the water from the hose to cool the engine it would have immediately stopped.

It is that kind of crap that led me to do a year's worth of research on oil and get to the bottom of it all. The information is all on this thread for all to see.

It bears out that Mobil is a great oil....the competitors would have you think otherwise..but Mobil is the one to beat in most cases.

Now Craig ..what do you use in your #6 dirves?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Registered

With all of our PowerQuests' we sold them within a season or two. We used the Mercury product or Quicksilver. With our 42x, we had the boat for 18 hours b/f we sold it. When Lake Cumberland did the service we sent the Mobil 1 down. For this 46XP we are using what Merc factory filled the units with. Same goes for the tranny's. The 1075's also have a second batch of the Mercury product in them. They are now past the break in, but I am waiting to see where to take this. I have had several discussions with Scott from Mercury Racing and he talked about blends of conventional and synthetics. He did say though that the 15w50 or 20w50 with the new dry sumps wouldn't have bad blow by, we will see... With all of our other mercs, 502, 575, 454's, etc. Mobil 1 15w50 since 91.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.