Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
If I only have 12 hours on new 540s, would you use the same oil that is currently in the engines for an oil change prior to putting away for the winter? I am now using Valvoline 40w. Or, should I change to Mobil 1? I didn't know if I had enough hours on the engines to switch to a synthetic. Would you ever change to a synthetic, if so, what would you use? I am using the Wix racing filters. Thank you.
RH at 12 hours I would change to a synthetic, after all Corvette, Viper, Porsche come with synthetic right from the factory.I would change the oil now with whatever oil I want to use. There is no reason to change in the spring. I personally run a motorcycle oil called Spectro Golden 4 20w50. It is a synthetic/petroleum blend that has the uptreat of zinc and phosphurs for excellent anti-wear protection, shear stable polymer for extended stay in grade performance and Group IV base stocks for temp stability. I do not run a full synthetic (except in my outdrive) because I will never/don't need the major benifits of a full synthetic. Those being 1)long drain intervals. I change once a year approx. 25 hrs. 2) Extreme cold weather performance(startability/pourability). My boat is out of the water early fall. I will never use it in sub-zero weather and 3) high heat. Spectro Golden 4 will handle oil temps in excess of 300F. If my oil ever gets that hot I will need a bigger cooler. If my oils temps sees 250-275 I will be very surprised. Even then I have plenty of reserve. Ken
Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by minxguy
Run the 20w50. Ken
what's the difference between additives between the two then, also, which is preferred on this forum, the wix racing or the mobile extended oil filters?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Okay, i'm only on page 10, so forgive me if these questions have been "asked and answered":

WTF is ZDDP? It sounds like the holy grail... but it's not listed on the oil analysis reports posted and it's not in the bobistheoilguy glossary. What does it stand for? How do you know if there's a lot of it (other than reading here)?

Also,

How cold is too cold for engine oil? I think my oil temp gauge saw 160 once this year. Every other time out, it would barely top 140, if that. Now that the water is cooling back down, the needle hardly budges, doesn't even touch 140. Do I need an oil thermostat?

Okay, i've now read the whole thread. My question about ZDDP has more or less been answered.

Still, the question remains, how cold is too cold for engine oil? Do I need an oil thermostat?

I've been running the 25w40 merc oil in my 502 mag. I'm at about 22 hrs right now on the oil, a bit over 100 on the engine since a rebuild last year. I changed filters and topped off last weekend, i'll probably put another 5-10 hours on the motor this season, tops. When I winterize i'm going to use the merc stuff again, with a fresh filter, and have the old stuff analyzed.

Next season, i'm thinking i'll run it once or twice with the oil that i'll put in when winterizing, then switch to the 20w50 M1 V-twin. I'm going to try to run it all summer, which will likely be 60-80 hrs depending on gas prices, but i'll do an analysis and filter change every 20 hrs for peace of mind.

Not sure what to do with the outdrive. This year i put in fresh merc HP gear lube in the spring, it's still in there. Not sure whether to change in the fall or let it sit until spring. Thinking i'll change it in the fall and maybe again in the spring. Not sure if i want to stick with the merc stuff or go with the amsoil synthetic marine gear lube. Does blackstone do analysis of the gear lube?

When i send the oil in to blackstone, should i spring the extra for the "dyson" report? http://www.blackstone-labs.com/dyson_analysis.html

Good thread, lots of good info here.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered

Mixguy - thanks for your quick repsonse. Where can I purchase the Sprectro Golden 4 20w-50? You obviously like this better than anything that Mobil 1 has to offer? I plan to change oil 2x a year, with never more than 20-25 hours between changes. Does this oil contain the same qualities as Mobil 15-50 which I understand so many are using?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
what's the difference between additives between the two then, also, which is preferred on this forum, the wix racing or the mobile extended oil filters?
If you are talking about the differences in additives between M1 15w50 and M1 20w50 I would think that Mobil would use the same additive technology in both. If an analysis was done on each oil (when new) you would see that the additive content would be close. I am talking automotive here. I was talking viscosity. I prefer to run a 20w50 in a boat rather than a 15w50. You must remember who "drives" the oil industry, it's the automakers, they are the people who want thinner fluids for better fuel economy, lower levels of anti-wear for emission contol system life,long drain intervals etc. It's not the oil company. Oil filters? My only advice is when people talk micron size ask if it absolute or nominal. With a nominal filter of say 50 microns a particle 49 microns in diameter 200 microns long could possibly get thru the filter where in an absolute filter it would be stopped. Ken
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Mixguy - thanks for your quick repsonse. Where can I purchase the Sprectro Golden 4 20w-50? You obviously like this better than anything that Mobil 1 has to offer? I plan to change oil 2x a year, with never more than 20-25 hours between changes. Does this oil contain the same qualities as Mobil 15-50 which I understand so many are using?
Any good motorcycle shop has it or can get it, or call Spectro direct 1-800-2getoil (1-800-243-8645) As far as additive levels Spectro Golden 4 (because it is a motorcycle oil) will contain a higher level of anti-wear than M1 15w50 which is an automotive product. Changing at 20-25 hours with this product will be fine. Ken
Old 10-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Okay, i've now read the whole thread. My question about ZDDP has more or less been answered.

Still, the question remains, how cold is too cold for engine oil? Do I need an oil thermostat?

I've been running the 25w40 merc oil in my 502 mag. I'm at about 22 hrs right now on the oil, a bit over 100 on the engine since a rebuild last year. I changed filters and topped off last weekend, i'll probably put another 5-10 hours on the motor this season, tops. When I winterize i'm going to use the merc stuff again, with a fresh filter, and have the old stuff analyzed.

Next season, i'm thinking i'll run it once or twice with the oil that i'll put in when winterizing, then switch to the 20w50 M1 V-twin. I'm going to try to run it all summer, which will likely be 60-80 hrs depending on gas prices, but i'll do an analysis and filter change every 20 hrs for peace of mind.

Not sure what to do with the outdrive. This year i put in fresh merc HP gear lube in the spring, it's still in there. Not sure whether to change in the fall or let it sit until spring. Thinking i'll change it in the fall and maybe again in the spring. Not sure if i want to stick with the merc stuff or go with the amsoil synthetic marine gear lube. Does blackstone do analysis of the gear lube?

When i send the oil in to blackstone, should i spring the extra for the "dyson" report? http://www.blackstone-labs.com/dyson_analysis.html

Good thread, lots of good info here.
I am sure that Blackstone does gear lube analysis. As I have stated before on this thread, when you send out to do an oil analysis of your used oil you should also send a sample of your oil when new. The new oil sample will give you a baseline of the exact oil that you have in your engine. You will know the viscosity when new, your PPM of additive. You than can compare new vs used and see how much viscosity loss (if any) you have. Your 20w50 may have "fallen out of grade" and is no longer a 50 at 210F. It may now be a 40 of god forbid a 30. The best report is one that has to do with your oil and your engine. When you start to bring universal averages in the mix you have too many different engines as well as oil types. There could be non-detergent oil results which can skew the ua's.
I personally think oil should be at a minimum temp of 180F. You must remember that they test at 210F. If your oil is not reaching 180 I would think you are overcooling. Oil life is shortened at cooler temps, ie sludge build up. Ken
Old 10-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Registered

wow lots of info loved it i am glade i can't fire myself for taking the time to read it. this is what i am going to use on both Eng. M1 20-50 v twin, pure power oil filter # 8445 , 219deg. therm controled 3" oil coolers 12 qt. pans for a cat amsoil sever duty gear oil in the bravo 1 and ramco flomax 300m gas filters the only thing i changed was to go from amsoil 60w racing to the m1 20-50 v twin p.s. did the break in on rotella and fram hp 6 filters i aslo have filter mags i run them on my cars custom bikes and trikes thanks for all the info
Old 10-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

I found some Spectro Golden 4 for $7/qt. Does that seem about right? Anything else in this price range that I should be considering? Thanks. This oil is a synthetic blend. Is this as good as the Mobil v-twin 20-50?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Does mobil have just a 20W-50, or is the only 20W-50 they make have the v-twin label on it. I could have sworn i saw the 20W-50 at farm and fleet, but without the v-twin lable??

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.