Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

[QUOTE=sleeper_dave]Can you guys take a look at these results and tell me what you think?

Start with the oil. 26 hrs on oil. 1 quart added @ 5 hrs on oil, filter changed and 1.25 quarts added @ 22 hrs on oil. Rebuilt 502 w/ 130 hrs on it, stock, carb'd. Merc 25w40.

SD, the antiwear package is still very strong, well over a thousand parts per million of zinc and phosphous. Most auto products start at a thousand PPM. The oil has thinned to a very light 40, probably due to the fuel dilution. But, you purchased a 40wt and it came out a 40wt. It is what it said it was on the label. The range for an SAE 40 at 210 in SUS is 70 -85 seconds, your oil was at the low end. The fuel dilution has affected the lubricating properties of the oil no doubt causing some wear, but then you do mention the rebuild.?As a lubricant it has held up well. (From a viscosity and additive standpoint.) If you still have a fuel diluton issue, I would run a XXw50 next year. The 50 side of the lubricant can stand up longer to fuel. Ken
Old 11-02-2006, 06:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
The gear lube has little if any ZDDP anti-wear additives in it and your iron levels are very high showing significant wear.

Pull the carbs and get them checked out if not rebuilt or replaced. I would compression test the engine FIRST as a bad ring job can lead to fuel contamination as well and if it isn't right go after the rebuilder.

What lube were you running?
Although there is no zinc in the gear lube there is phophous and molybdenum. I would belive that these two additives are the anti-wear chemestry in this gear oil. Ken
Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
I got the dyson analysis too, on the oil.

here's what he said

What is "lubecontrol 20"?,a VI improver?,an anti-wear package? Does anybody know? What type of additive chemestry would Dyson pefer? Ken
Old 11-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lubecontrol.com/

I think the motor is running a bit rich at idle, the plugs looked kind of black when I pulled them to fog the cylinders. I will be changing the plugs and adjusting the carb next spring. I'll probably also pull apart the carb and check for the proper jets, and maybe even do a compression test.

I plan to run the M1 V-twin 20/50 next year. I'll use the amsoil filter terry suggests, or an M1 filter. I don't think i'm going to try the lubecontrol, i might give the fuel additive a try. I'll change the filter, top off, and have an analysis done at 20 hrs. Hopefully it'll look a lot better.

here's the results from dyson on the gear lube:

Outdrive was running the merc HP gear lube. I'll probably stick with that for the drive. 70 hours on it and it doesn't look too bad. Maybe i'll change it 1/2 way through the season next year for good measure.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 11-02-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
Although there is no zinc in the gear lube there is phophous and molybdenum. I would belive that these two additives are the anti-wear chemestry in this gear oil. Ken
Worth checking out..I may send a sample in.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

SO any new oil stories?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:02 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I have 360' of frontage with a ditch that is about 45* on one side. Only way to mow the steep side is with a cheap push mower of which I have ruined a couple due to the splash lubrication not working at that angle. On this last one I threw in some v-twin oil and to my amazement this mower has outlasted the previous two combined, both with similar Briggs engines.

It is a little slow to get up to speed when cold though

Hows that?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
SO any new oil stories?
Yep. The wife prefers synthetic ... less friction
Old 11-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh....

After I drain the Merc hypo oil from my OD, I save it and use it on the chain that runs the auger on my 3 pt. hitch 7 foot snow blower. Chain still has oil film on it at the end of winter
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
I have 360' of frontage with a ditch that is about 45* on one side. Only way to mow the steep side is with a cheap push mower of which I have ruined a couple due to the splash lubrication not working at that angle. On this last one I threw in some v-twin oil and to my amazement this mower has outlasted the previous two combined, both with similar Briggs engines.

It is a little slow to get up to speed when cold though

Hows that?
15W-50 pumps like a 10w...use it when it gets cold. V-twin is good down to 50*F. Much like a straight 40wt.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.