Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 11-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
so your recommendation for a pair of 280 hour 502 mpi's would be what...this thread is confusing as hell...lmfao going to change out whats in there now when i winterize her with a basic 10/40...then in the spring (i already have wix filters) you'd use which...
Mobil-1 15W-50 EP

Amsoil Severe Service Racing 20W-50

Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W-50

RP 20W-50

Redline 20W-50

Take your pick.

My personal favorite is M-1 V-Twin.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 AM
Registered

Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
So you ground a valve relief into the pistons while they were still in the motor?

I'd figure a lot of your wear metals are from doing that. Did you do an oil change shortly after the modifications, or is that v-twin oil the stuff you put in when you got done hopping it up? I would think that the new cam and valvetrain would result in more metal in the oil.

Fuel is high and flashpoint is low, though. Tune issues, maybe? Or maybe the extra 100 hp just takes a lot out of a motor?
Rage, if the fuel is high, this could be diluting the oil reducing its viscosity..........less film strength=more wear. Machine work on the pistons in the block could = more metals in the oil sample, and finally a higher dertergent product could clean better, however you did change your heads which can "hold" a lot of crap. How did the top of the heads look when you changed them? Any sludge at all?
Ken
Old 11-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
so your recommendation for a pair of 280 hour 502 mpi's would be what...this thread is confusing as hell...lmfao going to change out whats in there now when i winterize her with a basic 10/40...then in the spring (i already have wix filters) you'd use which...
Berns, when you change your oil for seasonal storage, change with the product you want to use in the spring. There is no need to change now and then change again in the spring with no hours on the oil. You will be wasting your money. Ken
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Good observation.

The reason the universal average is higher is because increased detergency specific to the product frees up sludge and metal particles thereby increasing "wear metal content" from a long time back.

We have known this for a while.
OK, then I should expect to see a significant reduction in wear debris levels when I change the Mobil 1 20W50 that is in the engine now after an additional season of another 80 - 90 hours?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
So you ground a valve relief into the pistons while they were still in the motor?

I'd figure a lot of your wear metals are from doing that. Did you do an oil change shortly after the modifications, or is that v-twin oil the stuff you put in when you got done hopping it up? I would think that the new cam and valvetrain would result in more metal in the oil.

Fuel is high and flashpoint is low, though. Tune issues, maybe? Or maybe the extra 100 hp just takes a lot out of a motor?
I was fanatical about keeping contamination out of the engine during the conversion. The lifter/cam area and piston bores were continuously sealed with duck tape to include each piston as I cut (Isky tool) the additional valve relief depth. After polishing the heads and intake manifold all were degreased, power washed and high pressure air blown dry. The OE stamped rocker arms were also replaced with Crane roller rockers which should have helped reduce wear debris. Roller lifters were the originals. The engine ran all season fat at idle and lower rpm's but above that the A/R was dead on. Final ECU reprogramming is in process now.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
Rage, if the fuel is high, this could be diluting the oil reducing its viscosity..........less film strength=more wear. Machine work on the pistons in the block could = more metals in the oil sample, and finally a higher detergent product could clean better, however you did change your heads which can "hold" a lot of crap. How did the top of the heads look when you changed them? Any sludge at all?
Ken
Like I mentioned to Sleeper Dave I was fanatical about keeping contamination out of the engine during the conversion. The lifter/cam area and piston bores were continuously sealed with duck tape to include each piston as I cut (Isky tool) the additional valve relief depth. After polishing the heads and intake manifold all were degreased, power washed and high pressure air blown dry. The OE stamped rocker arms were also replaced with Crane roller rockers which should have helped reduce wear debris. Roller lifters were the originals. The engine ran all season fat at idle (~11.5 A/F) and lower rpm's but above that the A/R was dead on.

To answer your question the OEM heads after only 90 total hours on the engine (with the Merc 25W40) were very clean and zero sludge.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
FYI..I checked my sources and a trend is that there is a blending of PAO III. (highly refined) and IV. basestocks occurring to various degrees. Some synthetics are 100% GRP III. and some 100% GRP IV.

This does not worry me for the most part as synthetics still have the edge and the products are continuing to perform well vs. non-premium conventionals.

I suspect based on oil tests that it is safe to say that the more a product costs on average.. the more GRP IV. is in the formulation.

I would not "diss" a premium oil such as Mercury 25W-40 or Kendall 20W-50 as they work well and conversely would not say all "synthetics" are "equal" either.

As far as synthetics go the rule is the more it costs the better the product performs. You do get what you pay for.
I am still not getting it. How can "some synthetics are 100% GRP III"? Where/what is the performance standard/definition for the term "synthetic" that allows this? As a layman, I am hearing that the primary claim to fame for the "synthetic oil" is that it retains its viscosity much better that non synthetic oil. If that is true how is it again that "some synthetics are 100% GRP III"?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
I am still not getting it. How can "some synthetics are 100% GRP III"? Where/what is the performance standard/definition for the term "synthetic" that allows this? As a layman, I am hearing that the primary claim to fame for the "synthetic oil" is that it retains its viscosity much better that non synthetic oil. If that is true how is it again that "some synthetics are 100% GRP III"?
Rage, its a definition. Group III basestocks are petroleum basestocks that have been more refined, bringing them "closer" to a synthetic basestock performance. No way are Group III and PAO's equal. When Mobil sued Castrol over the term synthetic, a court of law did not decide the outcome. This out come opened the door for blendeders to call an oil made with this highly refined petroleum oil a synthetic. There is no Group III PAO. PAO's are Group IV and only Group IV. You will be hard pressed to find a quality PAO synthetic for $5.00/qt.ken
Old 11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
Rage, its a definition. Group III basestocks are petroleum basestocks that have been more refined, bringing them "closer" to a synthetic basestock performance. No way are Group III and PAO's equal. When Mobil sued Castrol over the term synthetic, a court of law did not decide the outcome. This out come opened the door for blendeders to call an oil made with this highly refined petroleum oil a synthetic. There is no Group III PAO. PAO's are Group IV and only Group IV. You will be hard pressed to find a quality PAO synthetic for $5.00/qt.ken
I would rather keep the cost out of this discussion until after I understand what is and is not defined as a synthetic oil based on performance and/or constituent make up of an oil.

I need a little more oil 101 instruction. "PAO" I take it defines only a 100% true synthetic engine oil. It also reads like "Group IV" also defines only a 100% true synthetic oil. It also reads like "Group III" defines only a true 100% petrolium based engine oil. Please correct me where I have it wrong.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
I would rather keep the cost out of this discussion until after I understand what is and is not defined as a synthetic oil based on performance and/or constituent make up of an oil.

I need a little more oil 101 instruction. "PAO" I take it defines only a 100% true synthetic engine oil. It also reads like "Group IV" also defines only a 100% true synthetic oil. It also reads like "Group III" defines only a true 100% petrolium based engine oil. Please correct me where I have it wrong.
API base stock categories
Group I base stocks contain less than 90% saturates and/or greater than 0.03% sulfur, and have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120 using spefic test methods.

Group II base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90
% saturates, and less than or equal to 0.03% sulfer. They have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120 using the same test methods for each catagory.

Group III base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90% saturates, and less than or equal to 0.03% sulfer, and have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 120...

Group IV base stockes are PAO's

Group V base stocks include all others base stocks not included in Group I,II,III,IV

I am sure this does not help, but these are the classifications.

Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.