Marine Lubrication

Old 11-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
API base stock categories
Group I base stocks contain less than 90% saturates and/or greater than 0.03% sulfur, and have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120 using spefic test methods.

Group II base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90
% saturates, and less than or equal to 0.03% sulfer. They have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 80 and less than 120 using the same test methods for each catagory.

Group III base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90% saturates, and less than or equal to 0.03% sulfer, and have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 120...

Group IV base stockes are PAO's

Group V base stocks include all others base stocks not included in Group I,II,III,IV

I am sure this does not help, but these are the classifications.

Ken
Thanks Ken.

Actually this is exactly what I am looking for. Also got off my rear and did some searching and found ........ http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...f4_faq.shtmlnd ........which also helped me to better understand the 'Group' thing.

Now please help me understand the 'Synthetic' thing. Is it purely a marketing term with no true universal definition in fact?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
Thanks Ken.

Actually this is exactly what I am looking for. Also got off my rear and did some searching and found ........ http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...f4_faq.shtmlnd ........which also helped me to better understand the 'Group' thing.

Now please help me understand the 'Synthetic' thing. Is it purely a marketing term with no true universal definition in fact?
Sorry, the posting seemed to cut out some of the URL. Trying again.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../gf4_faq.shtml
Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry, the posting seemed to cut out some of the URL. Trying again.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../gf4_faq.shtml
Once more typed with spaces to hopefully prevent auto abbreviation by the posting software.

www . chevron . com / products / prodserv / BaseOils / gf4 _ faq . shtml
Old 11-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ken.

Rage, here goes..............
Synthetic lubricant-lubricating fluid made by chemically reacting materials of a specific chemical composition to produce a compound with planned and predictible properties; the resulting basestockmay be supplemented with additives to improve specific properties.
Many synthetic lubricants, also called synlubes, are derived wholly or primarily from petrochemicals; other synlube raw materials are derived from coal and oil shale, or are lipochemicals (from animal and vegtable oils). Synthetic lubricants may be superior to petroleum oils in specific performance areas. Many exhibit higher viscosity index and thermal stability, and low volatility (which reduces oil consmption). Most synlubes offer longer service life and in some cases, better biodegradeability than conventional lubes.
PAO's are versatile lubricants with low pour points, and excellent thermal and oxidation stability; they have good compatibility with petroleum lubricants and most seals used with petroleum lubricants.
Did this help?

Ken
Old 11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
Rage, here goes..............
Synthetic lubricant-lubricating fluid made by chemically reacting materials of a specific chemical composition to produce a compound with planned and predictible properties; the resulting basestockmay be supplemented with additives to improve specific properties.
Many synthetic lubricants, also called synlubes, are derived wholly or primarily from petrochemicals; other synlube raw materials are derived from coal and oil shale, or are lipochemicals (from animal and vegtable oils). Synthetic lubricants may be superior to petroleum oils in specific performance areas. Many exhibit higher viscosity index and thermal stability, and low volatility (which reduces oil consmption). Most synlubes offer longer service life and in some cases, better biodegradeability than conventional lubes.
PAO's are versatile lubricants with low pour points, and excellent thermal and oxidation stability; they have good compatibility with petroleum lubricants and most seals used with petroleum lubricants.
Did this help?

Ken
Yes. If I am hearing right, it is a synthetic if it comes from a chemically modified oil regardless if it is a modification of a petroleum oil, animal/vegtable oil, coal, liquified natural gas, PAO's, ester based, etc. Conversely then defining what a 'conventional' petroleum oil seems to become more difficult since are not they also modifications of some base oil by addition of various additives to control viscosity, corrosion, as well as additions of dispersants, detergents, etc. Can you define how they differ?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

FYI..I learned today that most all $8-9.00 synthetic oils are still 100% GRP IV. PAO's.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
FYI..I learned today that most all $8-9.00 synthetic oils are still 100% GRP IV. PAO's.
Can you list the ones that are confirmed 100% GRP IV?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Good observation.

The reason the universal average is higher is because increased detergency specific to the product frees up sludge and metal particles thereby increasing "wear metal content" from a long time back.

We have known this for a while.
Should I then expect to see a significant reduction in wear debris levels when I change the Mobil 1 20W50 that is in the engine now after an additional season of another 80 - 90 hours?
Old 11-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can you list the ones that are confirmed 100% GRP IV?

I am good but not that good.

...and even if I could it would not necessarilly mean they were better beacuse there are many factors that go into making a good oil.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-23-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Should I then expect to see a significant reduction in wear debris levels when I change the Mobil 1 20W50 that is in the engine now after an additional season of another 80 - 90 hours?
Over time that is usually the case.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.