Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Outdrive trim pump not working plus leaks. >

Outdrive trim pump not working plus leaks.

Notices

Outdrive trim pump not working plus leaks.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive trim pump not working plus leaks.

I've had this leak from my port outdrive trim pump. The leak is not coming from around the pump/reservoir area itself, but somewhere around behind the motor (496HO) maybe even the transom from one of the lines. It leaks only into the bilge. No oil leaking to the outside. I've been having to top off the reservoir in order to boat over the weekend pending location of the culprit. Well this past weekend the trim pump has stopped working using either the throttle trim switch, or the trailer button with no clicking noise whatsoever. I have checked the fuse and other associated wiring in and around it and all appears fine including the fuse which I was hoping was the problem. No such easy luck.

Another problem with Sunsation's setup is the K-plane pumps and the trim pumps are stuffed to either side of the engines making it a little tight to really wiggle in and around for a good look. The drive trim pumps are placed in the aft position behind the K-plane pumps along the bulkhead. To really get down there I'd have to remove the outboard riser.

The only other thing I haven't checked is underneath at the helm switches to see if it was possible a wire had bounced off. But I'm assuming since the problem is on the same side as the leak, that's not gonna be the case, and one is related to the other....Any out of the box ideas on either of the problems?

So, first where do you think the leak could possibly be from (I've been told to check the block outside under the drive where the lines come out to see if oil is in the void area and possibly leaking back into the bilge?) and secondly, other than the pump has died, what else could I check for a problem electrically? Usually these pumps are pretty straight up problem-wise, and usually the fuse pops before anything can happen to them.

Last edited by Reckless32; 07-18-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Default Re: Outdrive trim pump not working plus leaks.

Ttt
Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Registered

Did U Check Thesquare Fuse
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Yup, first thing, and it's fine. I would think that if the fluid leaked down enough the other day to cause it to suck air, it would either just suck air forever or pop the fuse? I never held the switches outside of simple use, other than once I realized I had leaked down fluid while on plane (boat leaned as the drive slowly dropped) I tried to use the trailer buttom to no avail, so I just left it and slowed down. Once back to the ramp to trailer, I went to trailer up again it did nothing not even a click or a clack. Went straight for the fuse and it was fine? Why didn't the fuse pop if I had overloaded it from holding it too long, which I did not?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Problem solved. I dug into it this afternoon and discovered that the wiring harness was pinched underneath the floor mounting bracket and it had pinched it. This caused a slight break in the wire protective coating causing the wires to corrode at the pinch point and basically fell apart. I had to take the riser and port silent choice split off to gain access to it though and will a slight bear trying to splice it back together. I think while I'm at it I will goahead and finally take off the each riser and take out the turbulator plates.

But I still haven't located where the leak is coming from. No oil in or around the connectors at the pump or reservoir.