Another broken cam?

Notices

Another broken cam?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another broken cam?

I've only heard of this happening on this website, and now it has happened to me. I can't remember if it was a certain brand cam that people were having problems with or what.... Broke during 3000 rpm cruise with no other symptoms. Motor never sees more than 5,100rpm since this cam was in. Cam was in only about 65 hours after changing from solid lifter roller, to hydraulic roller in Sept . 540 tall deck, Merlin - block, heads, & new intake - and fairly new mallory distributor - which shows no signs of irregular wear at gear. Crane 741 cam.

I left home 2 days later (for FLA) and did not get a chance to tear it down.

Anybody body know the reasons for this failure(other than block machining/alignment issues)?? Can an oil pump do this--failure or lockup?? Crane cam design??
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Another broken cam?

It is rare, however it also happened to me. It was on a 572CI blower setup. It was setup with a rev kit (another set of springs under the heads) and put a tremendous load on the cam. There are only two or three manufacturers of the billet for the cams and then everyone grinds thier own. ISKY cams uses a beefier cam billet and we choose to go his route with a custom grind. I recall a bronze gear is important. And we got rid of the rev kit. I am no expert this is what my engine builder told me at the time.