looking for drive showerfor king cobra

Notices

looking for drive showerfor king cobra

Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: looking for drive showerfor king cobra

Originally Posted by CrazyCat57
I have a problem that when the drive gets heated up from a run of 4 to 5 miles at 3500 rpm I have no reverse untill the drive cools down and then everything works great. This happens continously every run. Had the boat to two different omc dealers , cables shifting linkage everything has been set by the book at the dealer. The next step will probably be doing the cone clutch and gears. This can be expensive without really knowing exactly what to look for. Any suggestions will be welcome. I was thinking if the drive ran a little cooler it might help. I just got the boat last fall and the hour meter only showed 50.4 hrs on it, but who really knows?It has about 80 hrs on it now.
Exactly same problem I had, long run no reverse. Changed everything including clutch cone. Could not resolve the problem, just learned to deal with it.... If you ever find something that fixes the problem post it to inform others, good luck.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

I've got to do a little more research on this
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Registered

Do you know witch gear is the reverse? I was thinking if the gear above the clutch is the reverse gear it could be running a little warmer then the lower gear and possibly expanding from heat and losing machined tollerance causing the slip.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Registered

I am trying to keep this thread alive hoping to find any possible reasons for this happening. I did get a shower built, but havent been able to try it yet. After I built it I found a picture of one at RaysonCraftBoats.com, on a cobra. I do have a chalky white build up on the top bearing cap and just a little build up on the casting towards the transom on the starboard side only. Liberator 21 did you come up with any possible causes or things to look for?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Lets keep this post alive, because I have a 1991 Liberator 464 with the same problem. Once started (at the dock) there are no problems going in forward or reverse. After about a 20 minute ride, no reverse. Liberator 21, have you found anything on this?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the cone clutch is siezing on the shaft when it gets hot. This is causing it to bind and not slide into the gear. Remember that the reverse one is spinnig freely on the shaft when you are in forward so any loss of tolerance here would create a lot of heat and friction. Once it got heated enough it would stop spinning so no further damage would occur (like scoring or scuffing). The only fix would be to enlarge the center ever so slightly-very risk business unless you're OMC.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Registered

A couple of things I have found out about this problem. Could be as simple as having too much gear oil, preventing the cone from fully engaging. The oil must also be fully synthetic. Standard gear oil will cause problems.

Does anyone know about the spring on the shift linkage to take up the different strokes of remotes. If the spring is missing, maybe it was adjusted for full forward, and sacrificed reverse....