No water out exhaust >

No water out exhaust

Notices

No water out exhaust

Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default No water out exhaust

Was at the marina helping a buddy replace his sea pump. Last week he was idling down the river when his temp alarm went off. He idled back on one motor. Today, we took the impeller out of the sea pump, which was pretty wore out, and replaced it.

We also put a new t-stat in it. We fired it up and let it run for about 2-3 minutes and still no water out the exhaust. There is water coming out of the sea pump. It goes from the sea pump to the oil cooler then to the t-stat housing. getting good flow from the cooler, but not to the exhaust manifolds. Could it be the circulation pump? We took that off and it spins free and looks good. We ran water thru the block and it doesnt seem clogged. There was a ton of steam coming out of the exhaust if that matters. What are we missing here? Its a TRS setup, so the water get sucked from the transom pickup, which is not clogged. Could there be air in there or something??
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No water out exhaust

manifolds clogged????did you check???
Old 07-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

I stuck a garden hose in the hose that goes to the maniolds and it comes out fine.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 989 Likes on 502 Posts

dissconnect teh hose going int othe stat and the hose coming out of the seawater pump.....back flow water through the stat side and let it push all the old rubber impellor parts out...i'm betting its cloging the pathway

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

wally great call, but he said that he had good flow though the coolers
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Registered

I forgot to mention the sea stainer lid leaks quite a bit. Could it be sucking air from the strainer lid?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not if the strainer is after the sea pump. Its under pressure, not suction.

Tell him to put the Tstat back above the collar in the stat housing not below it touching the intake.

( just a guess )
Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Dennis, the strainer is before the pump. So its sucking thru it. Im thinking its sucking air thru the lid. Its one of those old big brass strainers with the flip top lid. Im thinking its not getting a good vacuum to the hull pickup. I dont see what else it could be. We put the t-stat back in the top like you said. When its running you could feel the hoses going to the manifolds and it does feel like bubbles going thru it. The impeller we replaced wasnt tore up to bad. It was mostly just melted around the vane edges. Only one small piece about the size of a pencil eraser was gone. Its gotta be something stupid.

Does the circ pump go bad and cause this? Im thinking of running the intake hose from the hull fitting directly to the inlet side of the pump to see if the strainer is the problem.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Are the inlet and outlet hoses on the pump on right?
You canalso open the sea strainer and put a water hose into the top of it and test.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

My buddy who hooked the pump up swears he has it correct. I told him maybe the hoses are wrong, but he says with the new plastic one piece housing it can only go one way. It does seem to pump good water from the pump. When I disconnected the hose coming from it, a large amount of water was coming out at idle, its just that it was coming out in big "gulps". Big gulp, big gulp, big gulp.

Quick Reply: No water out exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.