Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
procharger - headgasket where do they fail? >

procharger - headgasket where do they fail?

Notices

procharger - headgasket where do they fail?

Old 07-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default procharger - headgasket where do they fail?

I have a recently installed (100hrs) M-1 on a 7.4 MPI (500hr total time) 5# psi and cylinders 3,4,5,&6 are now 100#s as opposed to 120-125#s on 1,2,7,&8. When these stock head gaskets fail where do they fail most often? I also have pressure pushing oil out the dip stick @ high RPM.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Re: procharger - headgasket where do they fail?

Originally Posted by baronbob
I have a recently installed (100hrs) M-1 on a 7.4 MPI (500hr total time) 5# psi and cylinders 3,4,5,&6 are now 100#s as opposed to 120-125#s on 1,2,7,&8. When these stock head gaskets fail where do they fail most often? I also have pressure pushing oil out the dip stick @ high RPM.
Bob,was nice meeting you at your beach party after sotw. You have not lost a head gasket,you'd be burning water or have close to zero on a cylinder. Your stock rings are giving up the ghost. I originally put my m-3 procharger on my origianal 502 5 years ago at 50 hours. At the time i went thru the motor and got rid of the metric ring j/e pistons that came in my 502 and put std ring pistons in w/j/e moly rings. I ran that combo for 3 years which was 185 hours and one year too long! by the middle of the 3rd year i was pushing oil out of the dipstick,breathers and every gskt on the motor.It started using a qt of oil every 5 hours and by the end of that 3rd season it used a qt of oil every hour between burning it and leaking it. That motor went from 150-160 lbs per cylinder to about 100-120 lbs per cylinder in 3 years and had lost 3 mph at end of 3rd season. The rings were soft when i pulled them off the 502 pistons and were beveled like crazy on the face,i ran it hard and it was probably a little lean somewhere too. I'm sure if you did a leakdown test it would be in the 35-50 % range omn the weak cylinders. If your 454 already had some hours on it before putting the blower on it than your probably at same point i was. I used zero gap rings on my 540 originally and this second time too,pulled it out at 138 hours after 2 hard seasons and it was just starting to burn a little oil and getting moderate blow by.These things you read about motors going 400 hours with a blower on them in my opinion are bs unless the motor was hardly pushed into boost,i think its time for you to freshen your motor at end of season,Smitty