Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
who is running inverters for a/c powered acc. >

who is running inverters for a/c powered acc.

Notices

who is running inverters for a/c powered acc.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default who is running inverters for a/c powered acc.

wondering how many of you folks are running inverters for a/c gadgets a/c etc. who has good prices on large 2-3000 watt inverters? thx, ratman
Old 08-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: who is running inverters for a/c powered acc.

I'm in process of installing a 1700 watt Xnatrex. They are the best and most reasonable and available on eBay. Charles Industries has great inverters but are pricey.

Wiring will depend on how your current 110v A/C comes into boat. If you ave a generator you need to replace the GEN/Shore Power siwtch with a 3-way Gen/ShorePower/Inverter switch--cost about $300.

Also requires that inverter be loacted close to batteries--witin 6 feet or so.

Read some of the owners manuls on the Xantrex website-- http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/24/p/1/pt/8/product.asp or http://www.charlesindustries.com/mai..._inverter.html .

If I had it do again I'd get an Inverter/Charger. In then it's cheaper, less complicated and kills two stones with one bird -- so to speak.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Poorsche .. are you installing a "pure wave" inverter ? I was reading about them and seems they may the best way to go ...They are more $$ though .... I want to have a LCD TV and I am afraid a standard inverter might cause interference .... Some info on this site ..

http://www.donrowe.com/index.html

on the run your AC on Batteries issue ...we had this conversation a while back ....I just dont think its practical ...for it to work more than a cpl of hours you would need a pretty weighty bank of batteries ....

Last edited by offthefront; 08-03-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Registered

Smallest footprint on the market and weighs in at 31.5 lbs. for the unit, and 4.7 lbs for the electrical box! This unit has a rotatable blower and tapers down to a "V" shape for those odd angle discharge installations. We use 4” ducting and recommend a minimum of 2, 4” round supply grills with this installation. This unit will run off the new Honda eu1000i 1,000 watt portable generator, while in cool mode. Another option is to use a Statpower 1,000 Watt Inverter and 400 amp hours of battery power and you can anchor out (one average) for one night. Due to the construction of this unit, electric heat is not an option with this unit. This unit is ideal for the "tight fit" installations and is a welcomed addition to larger vessels for individual climate controlled cabins.

Running amperage: Cool = 4.4amps, R/C = 5.5amps. Add approximately one amp for the standard seawater pumps. Start up amperage is calculated by running amperage multiplied by 1.8.

On average, This unit is designed to cool cruisers up to 26' and sailboats up to 28'.

M-5C Cool only: $1,445.00
M-5CHP Reverse Cycle: $ 1,545.00

Above models include a programmable digital thermostat.

A complete installation kit including Footscoop, seacock, water strainer, dual ducting kit, and electrical connection kit is an additional $287.40
The Inverter kit and batteries are optional. (PUMP NOT INCLUDED)

A deluxe installation kit is available for $714.65

All units are available in 220v for an additional $100.00, and require a 72 hour lead time.

Model M-5 Installation Guide

Model M-5 - 5200 BTU Schematics

http://www.mmair.com/product/5200.html
Attached Thumbnails who is running inverters for a/c powered acc.-resize-ac.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 08-03-2005 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Registered

I'm installing a modified sine wave. My tv and laptop run through transformers so I idn't see any advantage to true sine wave. Iwas more interested in lights and minor stuff. Definitely not the A/C--have a generator for heavy going.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Registered

What would happen if I used my Honda eu100i to charge the batteries and ran the A/C from an inverter? I'm thinking the A/C won't run continuously at night which would allow time for the batteries to recharge. Could I get away with just 2 batteries? The boat is 38'.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Registered

If you've got the generator just let it drive the A/C.

Make absolutely sure you've got Carbon Monoxide detectors--yes a couple of them.

You're adding a level of complexity that ytou really don't want to deal with by using the inverter for the A/C.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Registered

ya think the 5200 BTU would cool my 311 ? I just dont think it needs much ... get the temp down and the humidity . I just hate punching another hole thru the hull ....plus the pump load too ....But i think Poorsche is right about running the AC off a genset ...the Honda Gen is only about 50lbs ....and here in north florida there are times when you would not need it at all ... I figure at LEAST 200lbs of batteries ....dead weight to haul all the time .....
Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Banned

I think 5200 btu would be plenty to cool your cabin.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Registered

I don't think 5200 BTU's is enough especially in extermes of summer or winter. I've 9000 on my SR357 and it acn't keep up during day on cool or reverse cyle in winter if temps are in extremes.

I'm gonna upgrade to 12000 th carry the load in my wave crusher.