Outdrive trim pump line replacement? >

Outdrive trim pump line replacement?

Notices

Outdrive trim pump line replacement?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive trim pump line replacement?

I've had this mystery leak in my port drive pump line and just yesterday I finally was able to wiggle myself into position to see the culprit with a mirror and flashlight. Looks like when they installed the motor they sat the motor over the lines where there's maybe not even an inch clearance. Both lines (one gray/one black) were are pinched between the flat bottom of the 496HO and apparently over time since new have chafed a pin hole in the line. When running the drive will slowly bleed down when in the trim up position from the chafed pin hole, which turns my bilge to muck with the bled off oil. Needless to say I'm a little aggravated with this goofed install.

Getting to the line fitting at the pump is of course easy. Where approximately is the other end located at the transom plate? It looks like it would be a little tight to get to if at all from above. Any experience or suggestions on this? I'd like to fix this aggravation once and for all....
Old 08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Re: Outdrive trim pump line replacement?

The other end would be at the distribution block on the bottom of the transome assembly on the outside of the boat where the stainless lines connect to. If you follow them from the rams tot he transom assembly you will find a zinc covering it. Take the zinc off then you should see two bolts holding the block to the housing. I honestly dont knwo if this can be done without the engine being pulled or not cause the only time i have ever taken those hoses appart was with the entire transom assembly off the boat.......

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I hope engine pull is not the only way. I want to try and do this myself without going thru the whole riggamaro of draggin' it to the dealer to fix a faulty factory install. I know the block you're talking about. I took it apart once to be sure the line was tight and not leaking there. It was good to go. That put me on the search elsewhere and discovered the pinch/chafe situation.

What might you think would prevent me from disconnecting there and just pulling the line out? Or worse yet I guess thinking about it, putting the new line IN would probably be the pain in the azz part....
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Registered

pull motor is the only way is it under warranty ????
Old 08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Wally
The other end would be at the distribution block on the bottom of the transome assembly on the outside of the boat where the stainless lines connect to. If you follow them from the rams tot he transom assembly you will find a zinc covering it. Take the zinc off then you should see two bolts holding the block to the housing. I honestly dont knwo if this can be done without the engine being pulled or not cause the only time i have ever taken those hoses appart was with the entire transom assembly off the boat.......

There are two bolts that hold the through transom block to the transom assembly. I don't recall if these bolts were blind tapped or if there were nuts on the inside of the transom. If I recall correctly, you remove the two bolts and the entire block will drop down. You can now see the two trim line nuts that were formerly on the inside. Now it's a simple R&R. Be sure to get a new gasket with the trim hoses. The gasket is below the water line and the risk is not worth the savings.

I too have taken these off with the transom assembly off the boat. I replaced the original lines with some bent brake line due to the extension box on my boat. I'm pretty sure I can see where the lines go into the transom assembly, so this something that you should be able to do with the transom and engine in the boat. The only hard part will be routing the lines. I'd connect the transom end first so the hose wil be a bit more compliant. You might need a second person in the boat to help align things up.

Last edited by Cord; 08-09-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Thanks Cord. You're giving me a little bit of hope of doing it without a pull. Hard part with mine will be the lack of real maneuvering/visual space with two motors. Not much space between the motor and the stringer/deck portion the original lines are pinched between to be able to see and align the replacement line from underneath, and I don't think my arms are long enough to do it from above. Sounds like even in the best case scenario it's gonna be a real contorsionist challenge.....

Any other suggestions/inputs?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...GIMBAL+HOUSING

Here's a pic of a gimbal housing similar to the one you have. Your lines connect to the top of part 30 they call the manifold. Getting the old lines out may be fairly easy - getting the new ones in is going to be a be-atch. Maybe when you pull the old line out attach a pull cord to it so you can pull the new one back through?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

Hey Reckless I would have to agree with Cignificant.Dettach the lines at the pump and remove any clamps that hold the hoses in place then tie a string to the lines then pull them out of the transom assy side.Simple as that.lol
Old 08-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Funny you guys would say that and thanks for the link Steve. Last night i was rackin' my brain for a simple solution to feeding the new line back in, assuming I can get to and get the old out, and my thoughts were those exactly about attaching some fishing leader line to the old to use for pulling the new back in place. It's sounding more and more doable without having to drag the prick back to the dealer and the time/hassle to go along with it.

BTW, the void area where they connect to the "manifold" block, is that a fairly large or roomy opening (relatively speaking of course) from the inside to facilitate pulling thru in both directions the old/new lines, or is there some obstructions/interferences or narrowness to be aware of? I can't seem to find a good detailed diagram of the inside transom plate to tell.

Last edited by Reckless32; 08-10-2005 at 12:01 PM.