HELP!  Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes >

HELP! Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes

Notices

HELP! Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes

Old 08-13-2005, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes

Bought my first Fountain this year and as like everyone else I want to keep the engine area clean. I'm in need of help on how to change the oil and espically the filter with out causing the greatest mess in the world.
I have changed it once and used a manual vaccuum pump to remove the oil in the pan, with OK results but I had some spillage when I removed the filter. Any helpful ideas / techniques will be appreciated.

Motor is a 525

Boat is on hoist parked in backwards so the access to the drain plug is about impossible unless I have a rope attacfhed to my big _ss. Then I would also have to worry about dripping oil in the lake.

I really do not want to trailer boat out just to change oil.

What about the installed oil pump out systems?

Thanks
Eugene

PS
Is anyone attending the PR at Cumberland Lake?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: HELP! Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes

Like you already said, a pump out system is nice. You can also buy an oil change bucket from West Marine or like boat store. They come with adapters to hook to the dip stick. This way will get out all but around a half quart. To get the filter off you will need a screw driver and hammer. Hammer the driver into the middle of the filter until a little over 1/2 way in. Wobble the driver around 3-4 times and remove the driver. Loosen the filter up to the point of the seal getting ready to come unseated with housing and let it drain for a few minutes. Usually the filter deal is first, let it drain while you are pumping out the oil and installing the new oil. Then remove the filter and clean up to install the new. Use a rag around the base just in case you dribble a little. This method should do you very well.

John S.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: HELP! Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes

i have3 30's and the remote filters are up front, not sure where your 525 filter is.

this is my process

1) change oil shortly after a run, viscosity is much lower....MUCH lower.

2) I use a vacum pump/can. they cost about $30 and work pretty fast IF the oil is hot. they take forever if doing a cold engine....

3) I use a plastic crocery bag when i change the filter. spread it out under teh filter and aroundthe filter bracket. pull the filter and then leave the bag as i get the new one, as iol continues ti drip a little.

4) i prefill the filter.. takes a while for the paper elemet to allow a full filter. but may help in dry start...who knows... that's what i do.

5) sometimes i can twist the filter off by hand. but usually use a steel band type filter wrench.. the filter shoud only be about 1/2 twist after snug, and wipe oil on the new filter gasket with your finger before installing.

6) pack a rag between the oil fill hole and the exhaust manifold when filling then engine oil. when done filling, wipe clean and pop the fill cap back on.......

no fuss.... no mess...... )
hope this helps

Ramb
Old 08-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: HELP! Need idea's and tip's: Oil changes

...and...

Use rubber gloves...used oil has been shown to get through the skin and causes cancer.....it's got a lot of nasty chemicals from combustion in there...
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll be changing the oil this week. Had a long run to Fat Daddy's yesterday on Ky Lake. This is really nice where you can get answers to things with out the headachs of trial and error.

Eugene
Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered

I have sbcs, but I do mine pretty much like Rambunctious.

But I prefer a small warm up to a long run.

Maybe use a couple of those bags under the filter.

For backup, maybe have a "diaper" (oil absorbent sheet) under the filter just in case.