SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?

Notices

SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?

Old 08-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts
Default SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?

Can one of the newer style SBC thermostat housings be used on an older motor and if so will it help with water distribution to the exhaust manifolds?
Thanks

Last edited by Sonic30ss; 08-13-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Can one of the newer style SBC thermostat housings be used on an older motor and if so will it help with water distribution to the exhaust manifolds?
Thanks
Yes, the new merc can be used in it's place. I did it on the same engine you have.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Cuda,
Which housing did you use? BTW, I finally go that one engine to idle and shift properly. Some one had cut a wire to the computer and left it taped up in the harness. So I took it out for a test for pep and promptly knocked the top off a piston! It appears that it was WAY lean, and detonated itself to death
So I ordred two new 325 horse motors from 1-800-runsnew.....So ends my 4 year quest to get these stinking 320 efi junks to run!

Fred- I'll give you a call on those housings
Old 08-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

It's the standard merc housing. I think they use the same one for BBC's. I may still have one of the old style around.

That's a shame to spend so much time on those motors. I read there was a design flaw with the fuel injection, that caused the fuel to spray directly on the cylinder walls, washing of the oil, and causing engine failure. You might have wanted to rebuild those engines with a carb. They have all the good parts; forged crank, forged pistons, and four bolt mains.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

I don't know if you can see the t stat housing. The thing in the center of the picture on the bottom is the hatch latch. It's directly below it.
Attached Thumbnails SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?-misc-005.jpg   SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?-misc-006.jpg  
Old 08-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cuda- Thanks for the pics I can make out the housings fine.
As far as the engines go I'll freshen them this winter. Our season won't last much longer up here, so thats why I ordered new. I don't want to wait for a three or four week turn around on the rebuild.
I'll either sell them or keep as spare.
I heard the same thing about the fuel washing the cylinder walls.
Time to bust out the Mini Hawk for a week or so,that little b@stard never gives me trouble, and boy does it FLY over crusier wakes
Old 08-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?

If you decide to go with the new Mercury style t-stat housing make sure you get the one you need. There are some stamped with "bravo" and some are stamped with "alpha". This is do to restrictions with in the housings do to pump volumes.

John S.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

Did the same with mine, had the old big one. Found a newer one on ebay and used that..
Attached Thumbnails SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?-new.jpg  
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

at the risk of sounding dumb.......is a crossover ok with an alpha???.......I mean......by removing the automotive water pump arn't you taxing that lame azz impeller in the drive even more.......?????
Old 08-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at the risk of sounding dumb.......is a crossover ok with an alpha???.......I mean......by removing the automotive water pump arn't you taxing that lame azz impeller in the drive even more.......?????
Maybe.
I had considered switching to a cross-over when an OSO memebr stated the Alpha pump wasn't strong enough to handel it. A Bravo pump would be needed. Then somebody else said it will work. I'm not sure anymore.
The circulator pump on the engine is just that, a circulator pump. It dosen't pull any water up from the Alpha drive.
Alpha equiped SBC's use a different t-stat housing. It has two check valves in the hoses leading to the exhaust manifolds. These valves restrict the water flow to the manifolds at ide and increases the flow through the block to prevent overheating at idle.

Quick Reply: SBC Thermostat housing upgrade?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.