Single Surface drive on 28 >

Single Surface drive on 28

Notices

Single Surface drive on 28

Old 08-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Surface drive on 28

I have noticed some saying in other threads that it can get pretty scary at high speed with a single surface drive, like when the boat comes out of the water. Has anyone ever experienced this? I built this drive myself and haven't gone over 50 yet. The trans. is 1:1, and about a 400 HP 454 Chevy. It wouldn't spin a 22 pitch prop over 3200, so I'm going to try a 17, which should do about 65 at 4800, assuming I can get that high with that prop.
Another thing I was thinking about is.... will I be putting too much load anytime going slower than 50 or 60. This is the longest boat I've ever owned, and at even 40 or 45, it's still pushing alot of water.
Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
Thanks, Eric
Attached Thumbnails Single Surface drive on 28-100_0254.gif  
Old 08-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Single Surface drive on 28

Clean looking setup. If you are pushing a lot of water yet, you need more bow lift.
Maybe have someone take a pic of your boat at speed and compare it to other boat pics at a known speed. You might also try a 3 blade instead of a 4. maybe a 21" 3 blade. Looks like you can run standard Merc props.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

I think Geo is pushing 120 in an 18 footer.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

Thanks Payton. I will do that. I know it doesn't get much bow lift from the feel. Never been in a boat that didn't lift alot more than this one. So, how would I get more lift??? With the prop? I probably didn't have it trimmed up enough, as there wasn't much of a rooster.

Dominating, I'll let you know how the next run goes. They do one on a single vee on arneson's web site. I think it's a small boat though.

Cuda, again, thanks. So, at 120, I think he's coming a bit out of the water here and there, heh? Does his prop ever want to walk sideways??? Does it steer with the drive or with rudders? Got a big skag on it??? Is he a member?

Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.
Eric
Old 08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Registered

Eric,

Can you link those pics to another site? Us cheapos can't see them on here.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ECeptor
Eric,

Can you link those pics to another site? Us cheapos can't see them on here.

Thanks!
No offense man but it not the paying members responsibility to post the pictures on another site so you can see them, it's one thing to not become a paying member yourelf but I wouldn't be asking people to go out of their way becuase you won't pony up.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
No offense man but it not the paying members responsibility to post the pictures on another site so you can see them, it's one thing to not become a paying member yourelf but I wouldn't be asking people to go out of their way becuase you won't pony up.
I understand what you are saying. That's why I posted it as a question/request not as a statement.

It just sounds like an interesting drive. IMHO, this insdustry does not have enough cost effective reliable drive options and people with the ambition and know-how to make their own are the key to making 1000hp capable $5000 drives a possiblity in the future. My work involves the analysis and design of gearboxes so I hope to offer some of my expertise to benefit his design in the hopes of expanding this realm of the industy.

BTW, I'm about ready to pony up for a membership...great site and probably worth the $$$. It just kills me to pay for access to an internet site!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Registered

ECeptor,
I hear ya. But this is the only site I've ever paid for that's Definitely worth the money. And you even get a *****in T-shirt.

Thanks for the comments. That's why I built it myself. I'd probably be flying by now with an ASD-8. I'll get the bugs out though. Gettin pretty close already. hit 50 last weekend, and only at 3500 rpm.

I'd link them to another site, but don't know how.
Would love to talk to you about your gearboxes or ideas.
310-486-7227.
Eric
Old 10-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RROCKPIRATE
So how is it going with the testing???
Well, I just got back from 6 weeks in Pascagoula, MS, helping to get some gasoline being made in the area. Nothing since 50 at 3500. Gotta talk with some more people, but I think I just need more power. Anyone have any thoughts on what else I might try??? Maybe a surface piercing prop?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cjsdad62
ECeptor,
I hear ya. But this is the only site I've ever paid for that's Definitely worth the money. And you even get a *****in T-shirt.

Thanks for the comments. That's why I built it myself. I'd probably be flying by now with an ASD-8. I'll get the bugs out though. Gettin pretty close already. hit 50 last weekend, and only at 3500 rpm.

I'd link them to another site, but don't know how.
Would love to talk to you about your gearboxes or ideas.
310-486-7227.
Eric
I'm probably going to be ponying up for the site soon.

Send me an email ([email protected]) and I can help you with damage and life predictions on your gearbox. It's stuff I do for work and the same theories and calculations would apply for any gearbox.

Quick Reply: Single Surface drive on 28

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.