Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed. >

trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

Notices

trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

My trim pump for my bravo one on starboard motor quit working, did this once before a couple weeks ago, then started working about an hour later, this time had just put it in the water at the ramp, was waiting for motors to warm up, had drives in, everything was working fine, put drives in trailer to pull boat out. Waited about 45 minutes put boat back in water at ramp, starboard drive would not work, tried it next morning still would not work, I tried knocking on solenoids and pump with the wood end of a hammer as someone was hitting the trim button. What I hear is a knocking sound that sounds like it is coming out of the pump housing, checked all electrical connections, breakers, etc.,also this pump has always been very slow compared to the port one, my question is how to check to see if it's the solenoids or pump or both, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

OK Larry, lets see if we can get you going here. The small blue wire is the up wire. The small green is your down. Both small wires that go to the bottoms of the solenoids are from the switch. When you trim up you should have voltage at the blue/down at the green. This will then transfer the voltage to the large wires on top of the solenoids. Hit the trim button in both directions and see if you have voltage with a test light at all of these wires. After that take a hot jumper wire and touch each of the large wire at the solenoids. One at a time to see if the pump will run. Lg blue - up/ Lg green-down. If nothing happens check for good grounds. If you get a good ark but the pump doesn't run, its bad.

Hope this helps.

John S.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Default Re: trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

Yup < send 12v Pos. directly to leads coming out of motor . Grn is dwn blue is up. Motors do go bad. You can easily change the motor, you may have to chistel the rusted 5/16 " headed bolt heads off if really rotted. BBB
Old 08-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Registered

I had one that did same thing. The trim worked fine until drive was raised to up position. Then drive would not go down. I loosened the trim hose and drained some fluid ..drive dropped. Ran the rest of day and it worked fine until raised all the way up again. i think it was a valve stuck in hydraulic system. Replaced the trim unit and all was good again.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Registered

Everyone many thanks for the info., will check it out with your suggestions and let you know what happens, going down this weekend. Larry
Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered

Problems in the hydraulic circuit are much rarer than electrical problems. They can happen. I guess it pays to have the manual on them as well as some pressure testing equiptment. There are check balls and spings etc... that can cause trouble as well. Having water (especially salt) get in the system can wreak havoc. Trim cyls. are usually the first problem. Best wishes, I'll help if I can BBB
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered

BBB, I have found like you that it's rarer for hydraulic problems than electrical, but as we all know it does happen, also this boat has been fresh water since new, thanks again for all the help and will let you all know after this weekend.

Last edited by 427 larry; 08-16-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Registered

Re: trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

I' ve got the Merc. book's if you ever need to borrow one, or need some info, let me know. BBB
Old 08-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Had the same problem a few weeks ago. Turned out the hot wire was routed under the corner of the floor mount bracket and over time chafed to the point it corroded in two. Spliced and re-routed, problem solved. As with any boat malfunction, check all the simple basic stuff first before going hog-wild and spending unnecessary time and money.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: trim pump, bravo one, not working, help needed.

First off thanks again for all the help everyone, turned out to be the ground wire to the solenoids.

Last edited by 427 larry; 08-22-2005 at 10:12 AM.