offshore water pickup and drag >

offshore water pickup and drag

Notices

offshore water pickup and drag

Old 08-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default offshore water pickup and drag

The first time out after plumbing a seperate water pickup for my intercooler I lost about 4 mph. The pickup is the 1.25" ID style from Eddie Marine. Could the pickup cause that much drag???
Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: offshore water pickup and drag

Originally Posted by Grog
The first time out after plumbing a seperate water pickup for my intercooler I lost about 4 mph. The pickup is the 1.25" ID style from Eddie Marine. Could the pickup cause that much drag???
yes.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

How much below the bottom of the boat doe's the trailing edge hang?? It should just barely hang down, maybe 1/8" or 3/16". It doesn't take much. You really shouldn't really have lost much speed at all if any.
We put an offshore pu on our 28ft Pantera and I don't think we lost 1/2 mph.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

got a pic of the pick up?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Registered

I saw on the bottom of Fountain's 42 Poker Run the other day, a pickup which has an adjustable scoop. It has a linkage actuated by a 33C cable, which I would assume goes to a lever in the cockpit. That would be cool, as you could help control your water pressure and drag right from the cockpit.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Registered

Here is the link to a pic.

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/deta...CategoryID=117

The pickup is cut at an angle. The trailing edge hangs down about 1". The leading edge about 1/4".

A pickup adjustable at the helm is a cool idea.

I think I made a mistake in getting such a huge pickup for the intercooler. Especially since the intercooler plumbing is 5/8" hose.

I seems strange that the pickup could possible create enough drag to rob me of the equivelent of about 50 hp.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

it doesn't take much to create drag. was talking to a guy that works for tres, the run seperate pick ups for the eng and intercooler, the intercooler pick up they don't run thru the water pump, they let the water pressure push water thru the intercooler. they run a pick up like mine that mike from mc engineering makes heres a pick
Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Registered

it doesn't take much to create drag. was talking to a guy that works for tres, the run seperate pick ups for the eng and intercooler, the intercooler pick up they don't run thru the water pump, they let the water pressure push water thru the intercooler. they run a pick up like mine that mike from mc engineering makes heres a pic. after they install the engine pick up the run the boat and pull it out of the water then take a grinder and grind a little off the run the boat again the keep doing this until they get the water pressure where the want it and remove a much drag ass possible i assume the do the same thing with the intercooler pickup. your pick up has that hard right angle in it which really hurts the flow and will take a lot more pressure to move water thru it the the type pictured. i would start grinding off a little bit more everytime you go out until you have just enough pick up in the water to get the job done. good luck, ratman
Attached Thumbnails offshore water pickup and drag-pick-ups-post.jpg  
Old 08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modified a stock pickup for adjustablity. I found that with the pickup just 3/32" below the bottom, I had a solid 10psi of water at the block. I used a small allen wrench to set the pickup. That way it was real easy to adjust the depth.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

All -

I appreciate the feedback. I ruined one pickup already because I cut it too short. Live and learn, I guess.

I will probably re-establish what my top speed is with no pickup at all by temporarily running the intercooler off of the sea water pump. This may tell me whether my speed loss is due to drag or something else.

ratman - Would you e-mail the pic to [email protected]? Do you have info on where to purchase this pickup? Website?

Quick Reply: offshore water pickup and drag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.