Trim tab indicator dead

Notices

Trim tab indicator dead

Old 08-29-2005, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trim tab indicator dead ???

Any ideas?

My left trim tab indicator seems to be jamed in 3/4 down position... If I lower the tabs all the way down, the LEDs will light on from the 3/4 to full position. If raise the tabs up, the left indicator will jam in the 3/4 position. (Both left and right tab works perfectly) thanks
Attached Thumbnails Trim tab indicator dead-img_0869111.jpg   Trim tab indicator dead-img_0870111.jpg  

Last edited by JS232; 08-30-2005 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:54 AM
Registered

Default Re: Trim tab indicator dead

Nobody?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking Re: Trim tab indicator dead

Looks to me that the sensor inside the trim ram may need to be replaced. Bennett tabs either work or they don't. Its a very simple system. If not the sensor it looks like the LED light could be burned out in your indicator panel. You have a bottom light but not the 3/4 or 7/8. Looks more like you'll need a trim indicator panel.

John S.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick correction John,

The tabs shown are actually 'InstaTrims' but Bennett also has a very similar system with the 'piggyback' sensor.

Shameless plug time! JS232- If you ever feel the need for a larger tab, give me a shout. I build a very stout 19" direct replacement for your IT's.

Brian
Old 08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by martiniboat
Just a quick correction John,

The tabs shown are actually 'InstaTrims' but Bennett also has a very similar system with the 'piggyback' sensor.

Shameless plug time! JS232- If you ever feel the need for a larger tab, give me a shout. I build a very stout 19" direct replacement for your IT's.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Good to know but for now, I just feel for fixing the one I have Is there any access to reach that sensor?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I don't do a lot with the 'sensor' part of the InstaTrim kits, just upgrading their (IT's) tabs.

What I can tell you is the part that will be malfunctioning will not be 'inside' the actuator itself. The IT actuators only contain a piston/ rod assembly with a couple of 'cup' style seals inside + a fairly stout return spring. (since these actuators are single acting.) The sensor that snaps to the outside of your actuator senses the position of the piston inside thus indicating where your tabs are.

DISCLAIMER + A WORD OF CAUTION. If you ever have to replace the seals in your actuators make sure you put the upper bracket in a vise and unscrew the cap slowly. It's a fairly strong spring and it can take you by surprise if you've never taken one apart before.

Just give the boys at InstaTrim a shout, I'm sure they have a good tech department and have experienced this before.

Cheers

Brian