Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
starboard burning more fuel than port? >

starboard burning more fuel than port?

Notices

starboard burning more fuel than port?

Old 08-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default starboard burning more fuel than port?

My starboard engine is burning a lot more fuel than the port. Went out yesterday with full tanks, came home with one empty and one on half. It doesnt smell excessively rich, idles well, but starboard is down on rpm a little. The engines are in synch up to 3000 rpm, but when I go wot the port is at 4500 and starboard at 4000. Both engines have fresh tune ups, carbs are holley 800 double pumpers. No fuel in oil either.

Could the fuel pump be weak on the starboard, or maybe a clogged filter? That would explain the lack of rpm, but not the fuel consumption.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bud, did you ever figure this out? Both my engines are running awesome but the port motor uses about 25% more fuel then the starboard. Can't figure out why..... Fresh fuel filters, rebuilt carbs all the way around. Last time out filled both tanks to the top. Today refilled, starboard took 38 gallons, port took 51 gallons. Can't figure it out???
Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
Hey bud, did you ever figure this out? Both my engines are running awesome but the port motor uses about 25% more fuel then the starboard. Can't figure out why..... Fresh fuel filters, rebuilt carbs all the way around. Last time out filled both tanks to the top. Today refilled, starboard took 38 gallons, port took 51 gallons. Can't figure it out???
Also just got boat back from the shop, both leak downs, and valve lash were excellent on both motors. They are both very healthy and in great shape. What would cause this?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 5,029 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Hmm I also noticed my port eats more fuel.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

One thing I have noticed is when boat is just floating in neutral motors not running, my port prop is significantly harder to spin than the starboard prop. Could this extra friction/load make that much difference?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^ Friction dose take more HP to over come, and HP takes fuel. Sounds like you have a winter project of a drive rebuild in front of you, is my guess.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

My starboard engine uses more fuel than port. I never really measure the difference, but it is 5-10 gallons different usually (from my memory).

I assumed it was due to me using the starboard drive more (docking, trailering, etc).
Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Almost every boat I've been on does this, some more than others. My hawk with one tank 2 pickups the stbd dies about 2 min before the port lol so I'm guessing I have different pick up heights
Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the builds the same on both engines? have you checked O2 readings? Mine are within 1/2 gal on refueling....But I'm EFI
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My original post was from 8 years ago lol. I think the problem was ignitions. I replaced both distributors in those engines (they had points), and ran much better.

Lots of variables on why one engine might burn more fuel. Slight difference in prop pitch (very common in ssm props), idle mixture settings, jetting, ignition timing, one engine having a p/s pump, etc.

Rob, you really need to get those 02 sensors going, and see whats up. From there we can make some changes with carb's.

Quick Reply: starboard burning more fuel than port?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.