Trans type??? >

Trans type???

Notices

Trans type???

Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans type???

Hey guys- I have a 81 Wellcraft Scarab 300- twin 454's with TRS drives. Pulled a motor and trans today to do a rebuild, but I have no idea what kind of transmission I have, it is not a Borg Warner Velvet drive, and it does not have the two rear tabs that bolt to the transom, it is just a slip fit. Anyone out there have any ideas? Any help will be appreciated-
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Trans type???

Yep; That would be a MerCtrans II. Really a neat unit for non extreme use cause it is about 5" shorter and 200# lighter than the cast iron B/W and bellhousing/cooler units. They say that they will not hold up with over 350 hp input but I know how to make them work with 600+ if you are not a cowboy. I've been using the one in my '77 Martini that I modified when I upgraded everything in 1998. I have had an engine and drive problem since then but the MerCtrans has been flawless. The boat will run 80 GPS on a good day but I also run a "soft touch" rev limiter and don't try to see just how much air I can clear. Feel free to call or e-mail me for more info. I don't think many here care about this obsolete stuff. --- Jer
Old 08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Registered

jpclear-

Thanks for the info- I think you are right- most of the stuff I am seeing is on the new stuff, and when you think about it a 25 year old boat is pretty old. Any kind of rebuild I should do or maintence while I have it out of the boat? Can I still get parts? Thanks in advance- Scott
Old 08-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Registered

You might want to e-mail me at [email protected] I got lots of info on this that probably no one else here is interested in. --- Jer
Old 08-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Originally Posted by jpclear
You might want to e-mail me at [email protected] I got lots of info on this that probably no one else here is interested in. --- Jer
Not so JP!

I also have the MercTrans in my 78' tini'. Post away man! I'm always ready to here other peoples' experiences.

scottie150- No doubt JP is giving you the performance skinny on this transmission but I too have some Ford part #s/mods for you if you require.

Take care
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Registered

martiniboat- Any info you have(part #'s etc) will be greatly appreciated. To be honest with you, I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I figured since I had it out now would be the time to service it and look it over(maybe update).

jpclear- I will call you sometime tomorrow- thanks

Thanks guys - Scott