Notices

Overheating and lack of water

Old 08-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overheating and lack of water

Ok, I have 3 days to getthis taken care of
Last week at LOTO I noticed several times that I wold not have wter exiting the port motor
Once the heat alarm went off
After ebing shut down for say, ten minutes or more I would restart and have plenty of water flow?
I have flushed the hoses twice, once at the car wash with a power sprayer.

What would casue me to loose water vo;ume and pressure once up and running?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Overheating and lack of water

2 words,,,,,,,

bravo fever
Old 08-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

and just what is that suppose to mean?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your water impellers recently??? Might have lost some fins and allow flow through the oil cooler at low rpm and at higher speeds, the impeller pieces then might get sucked fast restricting the flow..... just a thought as to something to look at....

If you find inspect impeller and you are missing pieces, take off the hoses to the oil cooler and check the back of the oil cooler first and then flush if you haven't found all the pieces. I've found that you have to dig the pieces out, flushing only moved them to the back of the oil cooler....

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

since you say you flushed , i assume you mean back flushed , which would remove any debri or old impellar fragments.

bravos some times fall victim to the rubber hose between the transom assembly and the helmut, colapseing, and then freeing them selves after the engine is shut down/ suction removed.

if their was a loose line or some type of air entering the system, it would most likely occur at start up, and over heat pretty rapidly.

good luck
Old 08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered

OK I do not want to hijack this thread but i have a question also. I am thinking about coming to the St Croix for the weekend but i noticed interesting Heat problem. I almost have the bugs worked out of this thing.... just in time for gas prices to skyrocket. The third time i put the motor together it really seemed to run well i fixed the oiling problem and put another piston in (that makes 4, and twice apart this year) after the dist went bad again!

It seemed like i could ruin it forever with no heat problem or oil temp problem (thanks fred).... But now i seem to have a heat problem and i am thinking i filled the block 1/2 way up with sand? we park on sand bars and i did suck up a bit of debris once. Now when i run it for say 10 15 min steady at say 3500 to 4500 rpm. the oil temp doesn't really rise that much .... say maybe 230 but the engine water temp will push 220 or more for about 10 min or so idling . I could never get it this hot before!!?!? When i am running there is not a problem. I just don't want to shut down the power when it is that hot. i am also getting allot of steam at these temps... (yes it is boiling in the heads) I did punch out the extra hole in the back of the felpro gaskets in the rear of the head to promote more flow. any ideas? should i pop a freeze plug a try to empty the sand? I am going to pull the motor again this winter and rehone and possibly put in a gap-less top ring???? Should i just wait for end of season?

Last edited by hpy540; 08-31-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Registered

hpy540....
I'd try to do whatever you can to try and find the culprit. Pull everything in the cooling lines and see what you can blast out. And check your impeller. Missing a few fins will reduce the amount of water being pushed through along with any blockage... I'd pull the drain plugs and hoses and see what comes out, worth the little time it would take with hopes of clearing the system and preventing any serious damage .... I'd forwad and reverse flush all the access points.....

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

East, impellar looks fine. Well at least once I took the assembly off and rotated the pump and looked at all the vanes. All were there, at least the ends visible to me. I guess it could be possible that the other side might be missing, but highly doubt it. I do fear that maybe the casing might have too many grooves in it. Could be possible and i plan on replacing the casing along with a new impellar this weekend.

Monstaa, now that is something I have not thought of. And I can totally agree with your thought that could be the cause.
How difficult is it to remove the entire intake hose? Looks like a pain

Indy, no problem with highjacking Same issues I have could help you also
If you have not already removed the blue plugs on the sides of your block I would do that first. If yuo get no water draining then I would hook up a garden hose and run the motor while using a coat hanger to push in the hole and free up the blockage.
This is the FIRST thing I check anytime I have low or no water while running.
On that thought, and along with your freeze plug comment,
Monsta or East do you think it is possible that even if I have good flow thru the blck drains that I might still have some blockage farther internally and would removing the freeze plugs help gain access to such blockage?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered

I would pull the plugs and push water through the system and check to see if both sides of the block have about the same flow out the block drain plug... if one side seems slower than the other, than you might have found the problem.... basically keep pushing water through all the piping and hopefully something will show up, thus revealing your problem... keep us posted.....
Old 09-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Registered

back flushing is the most productive at cleanseing engines. kinda like a colonic for your big block.

Quick Reply: Overheating and lack of water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.