prop height help for newcomer please >

prop height help for newcomer please

Notices

prop height help for newcomer please

Old 09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop height help for newcomer please

hi,im a newcomer to fast boating,i have just bought a boat with small vee hull and tunnels,the motor is a 2.4 merc with a surface piercing prop(engine is tuned) kicking out 240hp,or so ive been told,my question is this as i dont really understand the basics at the moment,the boat seems to go ok,ive took her up to 60mph with lots to spare,ive been reading on this forum about rooster tails and how they should as a rule be not over the height of your engine hood,this as i understand is in relation to the prop height,ie being to high,what should i take as as good starting point for reference? what is the theory behind raising and lowering prop height,also as this boat is used in the sea and not on lakes it really bangs on the waves in mild water,is this the nature of the hull or can i do something to make it slice through the water rather than bang,bang bang,it could also be the fact that im new to this so i could be a little nervious and have got to get used to it,

any advice would be very helpful.

jamie, u.k
Old 09-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: prop height help for newcomer please

Hey SLOW DOWN just a bit. Prop height is one of many factors. You now have a hot boat you dont know how to drive. These things can kill you. now about the prop height....lets get the feel of the boat first. before you change anything just go for speed runs without turns and see how those tunnels work. They are different. They will cut a wake in half and give you a nice ride but throttle back when you turn. Im not the most experienced guy on this forum but I have a very hot boat and havent even taken it to its potential yet and am just still feeling it out.

Be careful......TJ
Old 09-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered

Jamie The idea of surfacing the prop is to reduce gearcase drag. Also the theory is the prop does it work in 1/2 a revolution Listen to TJ about safety. Take things slowly. The speed in these boats is all about TRIM enough is fast, to much can get you hurt.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Registered

thanks for your reply guys,and belive me iam taking things easy.im sure the boat is set up right its just from reading other questions on this forum it makes you question your own set up.from reading about hull designs i have come to the conclusion that my hull will never handle rougher seas better than a v-hull due to its flat bottom nature,so i guess i have to just put some hours in and learn.it was just the rooster tail thing that got me thinking about mine that my question arose.best leave things alone and put some hours in!!!!