Gen VI heads on a Mark IV >

Gen VI heads on a Mark IV

Notices

Gen VI heads on a Mark IV

Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen VI heads on a Mark IV

I know that this thread has been covered before.. I have 2 454 magnum engines that were just rebuilt. Took all summer to finish... I was ready to go out on the boat for the maiden voyage.. I hooked up to the garden hose to tune the carbs and noticed a loose lifter noise. I pulled the valve cover and saw
water in the oil... Major bummer... The engines are std 454 magnums, bored 0.030. I installed Gen VI heads.( rectangular port ) I used Felpro 1037 head gaskets. These were used at the recommendation of Federal Mogul ( who owns Fel Pro )
I closley checked the 2nd engine, and saw water there too.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Some say it can be done and some say it can not. I am at the "can not" point now..
I am going to have to pull the top end on both "new engines"
Is there any way that this combination can work, or am I just suckin on pond water? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Old 09-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Registered

Default Re: Gen VI heads on a Mark IV

To quote Dennis Moore, "---the Mark IV and Gen V (this means Gen VI also) are not interchangeable. If interchanged, a leak will occur in the coolant passages and leak into the lifter valley." Sorry bout that. --- Jer
Old 09-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quik,
Back when the Gen V 502 first came out.. they said it wasnt possible to use standard heads on a new block. Then someone came out with a head gasket that would make it work. I believe there was a copper insert that fit into the tear drop shaped hole to make it a round one.. The block had tear drop shaped holes for water flow when the head didnt. I purchased a Gen V 502 short block and put a set of Merlin heads on it without problems or special gaskets. I then switched to a set of Dart aluminum heads, still no problem.
Not sure about the other way around, new style heads on old block. If you pull one head and look at where the gasket meets both surfaces, you will see the mismatch if that is problem. I am not sure if the heads have tear drop holes or not...
Did you mention to Felpro that you were mixing and matching block and heads, they should know what works and doesnt. I would call them again and see what they say. Like they say.. never say never..

Hope this info helps.
Dick
Old 09-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered

I thank you both for your replies. I have read that the older heads CAN bolt to the newer blocks, but that the reverse is not adviseable. This is a heart breaker....