Which would you use >

Which would you use

Notices

Which would you use

Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you use

I'm thinking of buying a brand new boat with a set of HP 500's. These motors are gonna be a little weak for the weight and size of the boat so I'm thinking of going with either a set of procharger or whipple.
Being the motors are almost new (couple of hours) I'm looking to get some insight on both chargers to determine which I should get. My local dealer swears by procharger for the 500 and says the whips have a lot of problems.
I've read the posts and cant really make a positive call on either. Looking for any experiences out there to better my decision. And are there any dealer for either you reccommend in the Northeast as I'm not planning on doing the instal myself.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Which would you use

munson:

The HP500 is an excellent candidate for supercharging, but there is another supercharging option for you to consider.

Talk to Dean at Nickerson Performance (215) 781-1370. The carb setup is very important and he has got it down pat. Dean is a dealer for Rtech Performance and can show you our supercharging system featuring a Vortech centrifugal blower and our low restriction intercooler setup. He has this on his personal boat engine, a 498 with solid cam and ported heads making 950 HP. On an HP500 with lower boost, standard cam and standard heads it makes over 800 HP. Good luck!

Tom Robinson
www.rtechperformance.com
(416) 709-8714
Attached Thumbnails Which would you use-engine2.jpg  

Last edited by tomcat; 09-08-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with Tomcat's system myself, but I would defenitly want to go with a Vortech charger. The incorporate a much better fuel managment system then the Pro Chargers do and their customer service is the best in the buisness which is less then I can say for Procharger. I was installing a Vortech kit on an HP500 for a customer and realized that the air filter was missing from the kit the day the customer was scheduled to pick up the boat, it wasn't my fuelt the part was missing but we had had the kit in stock for about 2 weeks and I should have checked alot sooner, Bob Endress from Vortech drove 6 hours roundtrip to bring me the part so we could deliver the boat as promised. That's customer service.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 254 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
I'd go with Tomcat's system myself, but I would defenitly want to go with a Vortech charger. The incorporate a much better fuel managment system then the Pro Chargers do and their customer service is the best in the buisness which is less then I can say for Procharger. I was installing a Vortech kit on an HP500 for a customer and realized that the air filter was missing from the kit the day the customer was scheduled to pick up the boat, it wasn't my fuelt the part was missing but we had had the kit in stock for about 2 weeks and I should have checked alot sooner, Bob Endress from Vortech drove 6 hours roundtrip to bring me the part so we could deliver the boat as promised. That's customer service.

Way cool, 6 hrs!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
Bob Endress from Vortech drove 6 hours roundtrip to bring me the part so we could deliver the boat as promised. That's customer service.
WOW!!!........good to hear things like that
Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had seen that setup before but it seemed that there would need to be clearance made in the decklid for those chargers and I wanted something to keep the original padded decklid in tact.
Ive been following the whipple info on hear and it appears they are really not all that on the ball as far as having product and getting answers from. The fight with lysolm and all but I didn't know that procharger was the same story. The whipple site offers a set up for the hp 500 but from what I'm told you cant get it right now. The last builder I spoke with said to run away from whipple and go with procharger but i'm guessing its just a personal opinion of everyone so i"m baffled.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I had seen that setup before but it seemed that there would need to be clearance made in the decklid...
Depends on the boat of course but the height of the Rtech box is only 1" higher than the HP500 flame arrestor on a carb engine. If your talking about the HP500EFI then yes we need a lot more clearance.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I did a LOT of research on this before deciding to just modify my engine...

In my opinion:

The Whipple is an ok unit with HUGE amounts of low end torque. But what good does the Torque do if you can never use it because you have to "ease"" into the throttle to save your drives?? Pretty much the only customer service is Dustin who is excellent...if you can get a hold of him..

The Procharger fuel system for an EFI engine leaves a LOT to be desired..An FMU is a band aid at best...You can always get a hold of someone in customer service but very few know anything....

The Vortech system (or the Rtech if you have room) with bigger injectors and a re-mapped ECU makes the most sense to me.
I was given Bob Endress's cell phone number when I called Vortech with some questions. He spent about an hour on the phone with me answering ALL of my questions and it turns out he was at the PWC World Championships at the time but still took time out for me!!!

Doug
Old 09-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I did a LOT of research on this before deciding to just modify my engine...

In my opinion:

The Whipple is an ok unit with HUGE amounts of low end torque. But what good does the Torque do if you can never use it because you have to "ease"" into the throttle to save your drives?? Pretty much the only customer service is Dustin who is excellent...if you can get a hold of him..

The Procharger fuel system for an EFI engine leaves a LOT to be desired..An FMU is a band aid at best...You can always get a hold of someone in customer service but very few know anything....

The Vortech system (or the Rtech if you have room) with bigger injectors and a re-mapped ECU makes the most sense to me.
I was given Bob Endress's cell phone number when I called Vortech with some questions. He spent about an hour on the phone with me answering ALL of my questions and it turns out he was at the PWC World Championships at the time but still took time out for me!!!

Doug

Bob Endress is great to deal with, he will give his cell # to anyone and he always answers it and doesn't hangup until the problem is resolved, he doesn't ask you to check some stuff and call him back, he waits on the phone while you do it so you know he's not going anywhere. Alot of people in te industry could learn alot about customre service from him.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I can say from experience is Dustin will answer emails within a day. And if you can get his product, nothing else compares IMHO.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.