Trim Tabs Angle >

Trim Tabs Angle

Notices

Trim Tabs Angle

Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trim Tabs Angle

Mine are mounted flat, but like someone else mentioned Velocity has been doing is for more than 10 years. I am running the long 380s. Not 100% sure why but I did ask a few people that deal closely with Fountain. If the tab is at an angle which way is it pushing the boat, straight up or to the side? If they are mounted flat then they will push that side of the boat straight up.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Try drilling some holes in one of the tabs like you did on the Chris Craft.
OK, I give up, what are you talking about now ? What part of "I bought the boat used" don't you understand ? The used, or I bought it used ? Lets see...when you sell the boat to the next buyer should he blame you for everything that goes wrong with it over the next 2 years ? Like I said once before...you came and checked it out, if it was so bad then why did you buy it ? Maybe you should have brought your crystal ball along with you that day. In other posts you mentioned that you don't get payed much...funny how its always the ones without money that piss and moan everytime something goes wrong with their car,boat,bike...your in way over your head, stick to just watching tv for your entertainment and you will be a happier person..lets just hope the tv never stops working !!!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32 caliber
Lets see...when you sell the boat to the next buyer should he blame you for everything that goes wrong with it over the next 2 years ?
Nope. But then I am not a con man either.
I hooked the hour meters back up after I got it from you.

The manifold gaskets, couplers, shift cables, trim solenoids, trim rams, bad fuel sending unit with no access because you floored over it, ESA modules, distributors, and leaking Y-pipes have also been taken care of.

It's ok. You got your karma right away when you bought your 29 from Tim. After all, are you gonna blame Tim for selling you a used boat?

I just thought that you must have drilled those three holes in the one trim tab for some kind of polish engineering purpose.
What did you do, try to bolt on a trim tab extension or something?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Registered

The hour meters never worked when I bought the boat, and why would I worry about hooking them up ? The boat is how old ? a 1987? like it would really matter or be the correct hours ! are you that dumb ? oh, and could you please check that crystal ball of yours and let me know when I will have to replace these things you mentioned..."The manifold gaskets, couplers, shift cables, trim solenoids, trim rams, bad fuel sending unit with no access because you floored over it, ESA modules, distributors, and leaking Y-pipes have also been taken care of." Thanks, I appreciate knowing when those parts will fail on mine. Oh, by the way, are you offering any warranty with the sale of yours?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Registered

The hour meters never worked when I bought the boat, and why would I worry about hooking them up ?
Maybe because you advertised the boat as having 400 hours on it? Advertising the hours on a boat kind of implies that they are accurate. (Well, at least to honest people.)

I won't offer a warranty on the boat when I sell it, however, I won't lie to the guy either. And I will sell it in seaworthy condition.
Of course, I am not a con man like you.

It's ok though.
You already got what you had coming to you when you bought your 29.

I got "Jimmed."
You got "Timmed."

I am pretty sure that you got the worst of it from reading the post where you said that he should refund your money on the boat and he said that you are from another planet.

That was classic.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does amyone know why the trim tabs are mounted on an angle, usually the same angle as the hull ? When running on the water the boat is level, not on an angle like the hull. It would seem that if they were 90* to the water when running that they would hold the bow down better. When they are in the down position they are also angled out, which would put a drag on the boat when moving. Has anyone ever tried mounting them at 90* ?
1. remember, your hull isn't a fountain.... (steps and all that..)

2. with the tabs parallel (90* tabs would be kind of a new concept..) to the water, given the same amount of cylinder stroke, you are going to put more tab in the water, that could be a good or bad thing.... once again, depends on the hull....

3. if the tabs are wet, they are dragging.. doesn't matter if they are set at a horizontal or an angle.....

4. if you set the tabs flush with the hull ( i read that in one your posts farther down), when you want to pull them up, you may still be dragging them, thus slowing you down... you will notice most boats space the tab up from the bottom of the hull slightly, even the fountain's parallel setup is spaced on the outside corner slightly so they don't drag at top speed...

5. i would imagine your trim switches will be more sensitive (due to more tab getting into the water faster....)

6. the water coming off the bottom of your hull is not the same as flat water, it does have some "vee" in it... the deeper the vee of the boat, the more pronounced the effect
Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

Sean, I am planning on mounting them in about 2" more than the ones on the fountains. And due to the length of the hydraulic hose for the rams, they will end up being on about a 80 to 85 degree angle, not the 90* that the fountains have. The pics I have of me running wide open show the back of my boat out of the water pretty good ( have hydro props on it) so my thinking on mounting height show not cause any problems. I'm actually looking to get more tab action for cruising speed in the deep swells out here on lake michigan. I'm not looking to put the nose into the water..but just to help hold it down from being lifted by the swell. With twin engine weight in the rear, it seems to make it alot easier for the front end to want to come up. I figure it will either improve, or worse case I put them back where to were. I plan to just put the screws back in the existing mount holes with some sealant, so I will be able to reuse the holes.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered

Testing is done, I picked up 3 mph wot with the tabs down, and the bow doesn't come down as hard in the rough, so they will be staying mounted on straight.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Jim are you saying your top speed has picked up with the use of tabs? Sounds like that is a great gain
Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Testing is done, I picked up 3 mph wot with the tabs down, and the bow doesn't come down as hard in the rough, so they will be staying mounted on straight.
so your boat is faster with the tabs down versus up, or you gained 3 MPH tabs down (new style) versus tabs down (old style)....

Quick Reply: Trim Tabs Angle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.